• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Codename XmasList project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SwartHack

Babysitter for OCF Lounge Day Care, Still a bad-as
FatherTime project (formerly code-name XmasList)

EDIT: Adding Index and Backward 04/02/2017

Project Backward
As I am writing this well after I began this project it can not be a "forward. Hence the name.
The initial purpose of this project was an "over-the-top" build that you could actually and effectively Bench.
Which has been achieved, to a point. I assume this project will never end as long as I do this kinda stuff.
The consecration of Father Time in essence has multiple derivations due to it's unending nature as a project pursuing higher levels of performance.
And don't forget, "That if its pretty, it better be fast and if its fast, who cares!!!
Lots of Graphics and artwork left to do as well. At one point in "time" this thing is gonna look really sick!!
During that process I can assume to go through a number of different hardware set-ups.
At the time of this writing the mobo is DOWN, and looking to RMA but want to upgrade to X270 and a better proc for overclocking.
Or I am just gonna throw the whole rig on the classifieds, as one unit or part it out. I am not sure yet...
There won't be updates on this proj indefinitely. I hope there is something here that has or will help somebody. Salud

Project Index
1 - Tear Down - Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE
2 - Parts List #1 - Talking Pumps
3 - Loop Design and Discussion
4- Radiator and Fan Pre-fit
5 - More Parts/Pre-fit and Hydro Circuit Design Software
6 - No Santa Clause/Parts Discussion
7 - Parts Status Upate
8 - Installing a EK-FB Gigabyte G7 Z170X Monoblock
9 - The Formal Consecration of "FatherTime" (formerly code-name XmasList)
10 - Hacking The Details...
11 - Custom Replacement Front Fan Cover Part 1
12 - Some Benching
13 - Loop Install
14 - Meet GrannyHack! Parts/Loop Install continued
15 - DIY Cabling...
16 - DIY Cabling Ropose/Tool Talk
17 - Front Fan Cover, Theme Images and Cool stuff I don't have...
18 - Up and Running in The Cup
19 - Editing graphics for laser etching and CAD stuff
20 - Tutorial (so SP understands)
21 - Finish Up the Fan Wiring, Some more Benching
22 - DIY Cabling Finished. Up and Running!
23 - Both Loops get infected!!!
24 - Coming of Age, Case Work
25 - Initial Custom Light Go Round, Case Work
26 - Mobo down (Gigabyte GA Z170X Gaming 7

Project Prologue

Greetings All! Known and Unknown!!!

After much serious metaphysical reflection, I have decided to start another project log...

...collective groan....

But fear not denizens of the overclocking underworld, I am taking a completely different approach on this log!

My previous and first proj log:

was more of a retroactive reflection of a personal and spiritual sort. Where during the celestial journey I waxed prose of substantial significance and revealed inspiration. Always including my unique influence of irreverent satirical flavor.

Well, rest assured, I will lay off the documenting of the existential growth I experience during this project and concentrate on the tasks at hand. But don't expect any lack of irreverent satire, especially since I know many more of you now:cool:

This log will contain a lot less of those wordy things that distract you, and I will have lots of pics.
065 108 115 111 032 108 111 111 107 032 102 111 114 032 109 121 032 102 117 110 032 119 097 099 107 121 032 099 111 110 116 101 115 116 115 032 097 110 100 032 103 105 118 101 097 119 097 121 115 033

So, coming up: Case Review and Teardown

Cheers

Last edited:
Case Teardown

So, here we go...

As some may know, I had been researching/reviewing cases for purchase consideration for sometime. As I knew I wanted an extreme water cooling project, I naturally started in Cooling. Please review:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/762265-New-Build-Case-Options-Redux
if interested in that process.

Also don't miss Blaylock's authoritative overclockers.com list:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/748535-Recommended-Cases-of-OCF

I wont bore you with all the specs you can just lookup. What it really boils down to is why did I pick this case?
In the end the biggest deciding factors were (CFQSV)

Capacity - Its huge Tiny E! and heavy.
Flexibility - n! configuration/extensibility options!
Quality - Extreme! I can barely find a plastic part on this entire rig.
Style - Always extreme importance, secondary always to C, F and Q though.
Value - For a $300 case, it really cant be beat.

The case market being what it is, any individual puts those variables together and end up with a different case.
So either way, The Phanteks line is impressive with many options.
I kinda freaked out a bit when the case arrived.
It ws way tooo big I thought! WTF am I going to put this thing!! Holy christ riding bicycles!!!!

I almost returned it for the Pro model, but obviously, did not. It grew on me.
I have, for now, relinquished my dinning room table from a gear pile to the staging area for this beast.

So tearing down to start a parts list. Man, never had so much fun tearing down a case.
This thing is cool, and is Dutch designed, "Super tof natuurlijk!!!".

Most everything I could take off...
IMG_0705.JPG IMG_0706.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG IMG_0709.JPG

Can't really see, need better pic. But two SSD brackets under the 5 1/4" bays.
Each bracket is stackable, for a total of 4 SSD. This with M.2 drives, what else could you ever need!?
Thanks for the really nice and huge drive bays, but...Anyone want some drivebay cages!?
IMG_0703.JPG
IMG_0710.JPG IMG_0714.JPG

will remove cover for side radiator mount...
IMG_0713.JPG

This is really cool.
I will definitely be hacking into this stuff with some of my own concoctions.
There may be a contest for "What makes this picture soo cool, and important for me".
I noticed the connectors while I was shopping it...
IMG_0716.JPG

A total bonus! Lets see if it works as advertised.
IMG_0718.JPG

Hardy har, this was the parts box. (Actually side radiator bracket was in box).
Nice set of spare hardware in handy organizer, a spare 3-pin fan Y-splitter,
few pieces of self adhesive rubber, few zip ties, pretty lame gCard strap, and a misc ~24awg wire???
Everything else you see in the pics came off the case.
IMG_0711.JPG

So, right now I am shopping rads, reservoirs, pumps and fans/accessories to determine exactly how much juice this beast is going to need.
Once I finalize my candidates we'll continue with a summary: "Parts List #1".

Hasta Entonces

Parts List #1 (reservoirs, rads, pumps and fittings)

So here is a quick rundown of the preliminary parts I ordered to start the base design.

My plan is for a very dynamic multi-loop system. Its all in my head and I have whiteboarded a few basic designs...
But the basic idea is to be able to switch it up and cool/send water according to the specific need.
So the rads can be run in series or parallel for either res. This will basically entail building a sweat manifold system.
I also plan on ports to plug in a chiller(or any other apparatus). Chilling blocks will include cpu/gcard(s)/mb/mofset/ram

I have decided on going with koolance as the primary vendor for all my cooling components. Despite being one of the leading
manufacturers with a proven track record, I really like the fact I can order direct from them. Their prices are comparable or
even better than others I saw, newegg, amazon, etc. Buying direct will make it much easier for any support/rma issues.

So I figured, I could spend $1000s on the best mb/cpu/ram/gcards/etc.. and it wont mean didlysquat unless I can provide
the cooling these components will reuqire to run at peak performance. So I decided here is not the place to scrimp on cost.
I actually dropped about ~$350 on just the initial round of fitting so I had some stuff to play with and design the manifolds.

I figure in the end after block manifolds, it will be about a $1500 in just fittings and plumbing(tubing/etc). :shock:
but I have convinced myself it is worth it, especially if I want to build a primo rig!

So here is the rundown:

Primary res. Can be configured as dual or single. I plan on single.
Can take two pumps, which I got. Not sure if I can use the second pump
to run the secondary res yet...
res1.jpg
http://koolance.com/rp-452x2-dual-5-25in-reservoir-for-1-2-pmp-450-s-pumps

Secondary res: this thing is gonna look cool in this rig!
res2.jpg
http://www.performance-pcs.com/frozenq-lf-reaction-250mm-reservoir-black-white-helix.html

RADS! are rad

rad1.jpg
http://koolance.com/radiator-3-fan-140mm-30-fpi-copper

Side: The fat daddy. I am gonna sandwhich this baby and rig it so either loop
can use it depending on the needs.
rad2.jpg
http://koolance.com/hx-240xc-radiator-2-fan-120mm-30-fpi-copper

Bottom: this one will be the most visible so I had to get some style
rad3.jpg
http://www.performance-pcs.com/radi...ealth-u-flow-low-profile-radiator-primer.html

2 of these bad boys go in the primary res.
May need one more pump?

pump1.jpg
http://koolance.com/pmp-450-pump-id-13mm-1-2in

The fittings: as I mentioned I got a grab bag to play with.
Pretty spendy, especially this first go as I got a few sets of the quick couplers and the PCI bracket manifold.
I am only going to use Koolance fittings, no dicking around here. Way cool as you can build any type of circuit
component you can think of.
fittings.JPG
http://koolance.com/products?path=62

Oh, and yeah FANS!!!
Bwah ha bwah hardy har ha..choke, cough, spittle on myself, har har hardy har..choke,cough.
ahhh, phew, it you don't get it I wont explain. Suffice it to say there will be fan giveaways:clap:

So yeah, none of my Fan library could suffice. especially with the motif i am going for.
SO I picked up about 10 of these bad boys (6x140, 4x120):

fans.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X5FZQBU
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OP2PUDQ

Ok. phew. There ya go. So all this stuff is ordered and on the way!!!
Rigging this up and figuring it out will give me time to search for pennies in the couch
for the next phase/parts list. 120mm Blue led Rosewill fan in the box for the first person
who can guess what that may be!!!!:D Seriously, ask Blaylock!

Tots Zien!!!!!

I like high flow rates so the more pump the better but they do add some heat to the loop just a fyi.

I'd venture to guess that 2 pumps would suffice for that build. How many GPU's do you plan on dropping in there?

If I were a betting man (you know I am) I'd say your next step would be to contact CrystalFontz for the bling factor.

Speaking of Pumps and Parts

Hey guys, thanks for chiming in...

Blaylock said:
I'd venture to guess that 2 pumps would suffice for that build. How many GPU's do you plan on dropping in there?
If I were a betting man (you know I am) I'd say your next step would be to contact CrystalFontz for the bling factor.

I plan on two GPUS, monster ones, like Titans.
And har har, wrong! aaaannnnch!!!

I already got the new LCD graphics display some time ago, which is definitely going in this bad boy and gonna run most the farm.
IMG_0626.JPG

But you are jumping way ahead of ourselves here Sir.

Scout said:
I like high flow rates so the more pump the better
Yes, I need to learn more about this and better understand all the variables involved with engineering an effective system...
I was checking out all the different sensors I can put on the system and will need to integrate the necessary ones in the appropriate
places once I get the basic circuit design down.

I get a bit ahead of myself here, but I need to decide if I get one more pump.
Basically I have the dual bay res which I plan to run as a single. As a single bay setup, I can run one or two pumps.
This res is going to feed the backbone of this system, being the top 3X140 and side Fat Daddy 2x120. So I am thinking
run it with two pumps.

I am planning on running the helix res in conjunction with the bottom rad 2x140 as a dedicated GPU loop.
Maybe some extra feeds for mb/moffset/ram/etc. coolers. Speaking of, I got the Helix res, and had to RMA
they really cool Genisis Black Ice rad, as the extra housing styling made it too wide. So I went with another
Koolance rad, but plan on painting the housing. More on this in a future post.

This res is going to look super cool, already custom wired
IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_0756.JPG

New bottom rad (will paint housing)
rad3.jpg

Speaking of RMAs. I had to return the FatDaddy, I dropped a fitting on it while admiring all my new shiat and put a hearty ding right in it!:shock:

Since I am dropping a few dollars with them, I hope they will work with me.

I also had to return 5 of these fans:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X5FZQBU

which was disappointing as they were going to be the most visible fans. But the mounts are for a 120mm fan form factor!?!?
I'm sure I can find something that works and looks right.

And speaking of, here is most the loot from the first round.

IMG_0745.JPG IMG_0743.JPG

So not to get too far ahead of myself, but all those fittings are intended for my engineering of the flexibility I want this rig to offer.
These would be being able to control where the water comes from, what rad(s) are used and what plates are fed.

Obviously there is a limit to what can actually be reasonably accomplished, there are really n! combinations you can come up with.

Basically right now I am designing what I consider the backbone. Then integrate the cold plate feeder lines and hardware in the next
round. I also plan on the integration of external quick connect couplings for the eventual chiller. Check out the hardware in the pics...

I have a white board going. Once I get a legible circuit design, I may transcribe to CircuitDiagram to share,
or will probably just end up taking a pic cause too lazy, har har
Either way will share for feedback once its done. I expect this to be an very organic process and make many changes as I go.

So, Basta Ya! Hasta la proxima...

Oh, and Blaylock got the answer wrong. So the first free giveaway it still wide-open!!!! Hardy Hardy Har:clap:

Since this looks like your first loot take your time and plan plan plan out the route, I actually use some real cheap thin walled tube to get all my layout and lengths just right then I cut nice tube .

"Radical Loop Design" - feasible or insane

Hello Friends and Neighbors!

After a bit of benching diversion, I have had time to concentrate on other projects.

So, after a lot of head scratching and some altered state assistant, I came up with the following...
Born from an idea, but always limited by how feasible it might actually be.

My biggest question is the order. This design could be easily altered either way.
It is currently setup showing the order as:
Res/Pump -> Rad(s) -> Block -> Return

where Rad(s) can be run in serial or parallel.

There is also the option on Reeturn for a trip through an external rad/chiller.

Anyway, that is the concept. What a great feat of over-engineering, its beautiful!!!
and it can get more dynamic, but the limiting factor is number of manifolds/valves you can feasible fit in the case and be meaningfully operated
and imagin the possibilities of config options based on what the specific bench needs would be.
Phew, OK pic already. You won't read this anyway...

IMG_0767.JPG

I would really appreciate any feedback on this. Especially the order.

We can also take a poll. Feasible or Insane( read Stupid). Maybe have a giveaway, but more people than Blaylock has to vote:D

Eskerrik Asko

Ok, the order is simple. The res needs to be before the pump. After that it makes little to no difference.

Dual GPU'S will generally produce more heat than your CPU even with ram and MB blocks. I would recommend putting the greater rad area in that loop if you're going to do dual loops. If I'm reading your schematic correctly it looks like you want to switch from dual loop to single loop with a switch. It's a neat idea and would be interesting to see pulled off. I'm not sure what kind of gains you might achieve in doing this, but it'd be a good exercise anyhow.

IIRC the Primo has water holes at the rear of the case. Might be an ideal location for a set of quick connects and a bypass valve.

I would seriously think about not using manifolds to split the flow, because not all blocks have the same restriction/flow and water being water is gonna take the path that is less restrictive reducing water across those other components. The cpu blocks are usually the most restrictive so it would take the biggest hit. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
Great point Scout.

Ok now that I have a little more time lets break this schematic down a little.

Starting with the Res1 you have a single line output feeding a manifold with 2 outputs. This will cause a pressure drop of slightly more than half depending on hose length and rad restriction. That manifold feeds 2 different size rads with different restrictions so the water will naturally travel through the easiest path as scout has mentioned. From those rads it feeds a manifold with 2 inputs and 2 outputs. This is the proper way to use manifolds. However, one of those lines feed back into the manifold prior to the first rads. This will create a cyclic loop of water that will not "transfer" any heat dissipation. A dead spot if you will. Also from that second manifold you have a single line feeding 4 outputs to your MB blocks. Each of these lines will be dropped in pressure by more than 25% and will have a much higher restrictions than the fist line from the second manifold. Now some of that water will get "pulled" through by the pump but you will be causing un-neccesary work for the pumps.

I'll stop there. Hopefully you can see the pattern that is forming. If you wanted to do a dual loop I would suggest making the MB blocks serial and the GPU blocks parallel(assuming they are the same GPU blocks). If I were inclined to join them and dis-join at will I would use a diverter valve going from the MB blocks to the 2nd res and the gpu blocks to the first res.

If I get a chance today maybe I'll sketch up what I mean. I'm not the most literal person and I'm not sure if anyone will follow that nonsense I just typed so as they say A Picture is worth 1000 words.

EDIT:

Here's what I was thinking. The chiller will complicate it a bit but it's still do-able.

SWART.JPG

Last edited:
Fun With Fluid Dynamics

Blaylock said:
...maybe I'll sketch up what I mean...

Wow, thanks Sir! I am much more adept at the WhiteBoard Software:) I actually used to have one of those whiteboards you could print when I was a bigshot, couldnt live without it...

Actually, I downloaded the freeware CircuitDiagram, pretty cool. I want to design the system with it, but seems all the templates are electronic, which could be used to model water.
Seems there is a CircuitDiagram community out there and you can design custom components/etc. I just need to find the time to figure out who has already done it.
I'd also love to find a free/cheap fluid dynamics program. Either way I hope to break down the fluid dynamics with a little math once I get a working design.
You guys are one step ahead as I have not yet started looking at the actually capacities/rates/limits of all the components. In fact many of the components I have not purchased yet, like the blocks.
One idea I had to compensate for potential flowrate loss is the backbone is 10mm, and the blocks will be fed with 6mm.

Also once we have a solid design to go on, I assume we can locate the proper points for the appropriate sensors(fvow/temperature)
Not to keep reliving my bigshot days, but some experience in this type of thing, just on a different scale. Think Denver Water Utilities for one. Ah, sorry, the good old bigshot days.
Oh, and by patting myself on the back and saying that by no means signifies I think I actually know anything about what I am currently doing. So...

Yeah, lets take out the chiller for now as it does complicate things, and my initial design crossed systems and would have caused havoc.
So, really my original design was two seperate loops, I just wanted the chiller to be able to chill either/both loops. Lets forget about that for now.

@Blaylock - and my original intention was one giant loop where you could basically send/recieve the water in a myriad of configurations depending on what you are doing.
Think the bottom picture linked into the top picture, it gets a little crazy so I backed off and went with the two separate loops.

So all that said, picture time, this just takes the chiller out and maybe better illustrates my intentions, does not take account Blaylocks suggestions yet.
and just to clarify, The jumble on the rads in the top design is trying to show an option to run in serial or parallel.

And in the end, is any of this effective? I guess we will eventually find out!!!
IMG_0777.JPG

I should be getting some actual parts today!:clap:

EDIT: This looks fun/cool. I grabbed it but not sure how to work it yet: http://www.freecadweb.org/
RE-EDIT: Smokes! This stuff is free??? opensource actually it seems, This is too cool. http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Basic_modeling_tutorial

Cheers!

Last edited:
Bottom Rad Pre-Install

Enough babble about loop configuration!!! I'll figure it out with you'se all help...
Got to get some work done before I ever get to that point...

Here is a quick update, showing pre-install of the bottom rad.
Also shows initial prep of top rad. I had hoped to show all the rad pre-installs in one post,
but regrettably the top install came to a screeching halt with clearance issues. I am waiting to hear back from Phanteks on the this :-/
Thats a story for another post...

Anyway, pictures: (I want to paint the bottom rad housing white)
IMG_0784.JPG
IMG_0786.JPG
IMG_0794.JPG
IMG_0795.JPG

Salud

Full Radiator/Fan Mockup

Hello Friends and Neighbors...

Today we have lots of pictures of the mock-up of all the radiators/fans.
This was kind of a process, due to a number of Phanteks case and fan issues.

I am not going to get into those in this post and will save my Phanteks custom support experiences for another day...
Sufice it to say I have learned the merits of buying direct from a manufacturer when possible. I will not buy another case off of amazon, newegg, etc.
While shopping the case I browsed mnpctech.com and similar sites. Ironically I am back at mnpctech.com and they are considering some mods for me...

@Blaylock - Sir, would you like direct feedback about my issues for the official case list? I can PM you the details...

So here we go....

So we already saw the bottom radiator preview.
IMG_0786.JPG IMG_0794.JPG

Then the top radiator
IMG_0795.JPG
3x140rad_intall.jpg
IMG_0865.JPG
IMG_0928.JPG

Then the FatDaddy install...
IMG_0829.JPG
IMG_0831.JPG IMG_0838.JPG
IMG_0849.JPG IMG_0853.JPG
IMG_0854.JPG IMG_0857.JPG

And the finished mockup
IMG_0868.JPG IMG_0861.JPG IMG_0931.JPG

And try to figure out my problem with the case:
topcover.jpg topcover2.jpg

FeedBack Request

So, if anyone is out there
- what about the grills? I have put in a number of different colors. I am leaning towards the chrome, as all the fittings will be chrome as well.

-So 18 fans. 14x140mm and 4x120mm. I know there is some formula for this, but considering 3 pumps and hardware (2 gCards), how much juice do I need? (There is the giveaway on my next major purchase. AAANNNNNCCCHHH, no winner on that one.)

-Back to hydro dynamics on the next post as we are close to route planning here. But isnt there some other formula for calculating cooling effectiveness/capacity. Man I still have a lot to learn about this stuff. Appreciate the feedback of the resident experts...

Thanks!

Hasta la Proxima

Feedback as requested.

First, Looking really nice Swart! You're taking your time and doing it right. I love that.

A thought on air flow. The general consensus is to intake from front, bottom and side and exhaust from top and rear. I would suggest flipping the bottom and rear fans to achieve this. It will likely give you the best air flow. You can of course do some experimenting on your own, but that's a lot of fans to be toying with. lol

I think I like the chrome grills the best. Not sure why, just looks nice like the trim on a muscle car.

Juice. I love juice. If you list your hardware you plan on using we can come up with a pretty close approximate. I always like to give it a little more for future proofing and to keep the load on the PSU at "normal" levels. I generally use the tool in PCPARTPICKER.com. Just build your system like you're going to buy from them and it'll give you an approx of how many watts. Add a bunch for OC-ability and there you have it.

More Parts/Hydro Circuit Design Software

Blaylock said:
The general consensus is to intake from front, bottom and side and exhaust from top and rear. I would suggest flipping the bottom and rear fans to achieve this.

Yeah, I was kinda thinking about that as I was going through the process. I put the fans in the direction they look the coolest;)
Especially the bottom Rad, but as this was just a mock-up, everything is coming out before final bolt down, so we'll make the necessary adjustments then, which is rapidly approaching as I have made these two purchases:

psu.jpg pump.JPG

which basically represent everything I need to start plumbing/testing this rig, although I still need the blocks. I am waiting as long as possible on this as some of the hardware I choose will have integrated cooling.

I also found this psu calculator very useful:
http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
as it allows for overclocking values for cpu and gpu(s).
Also easy to add all the fans, except wouldn't allow more than 10 140mm fans, bwah hah hah, so I put 10x140mm and 8xx120mm. I was hovering around 1200W, but as soon you start upping the OC setting, it goes up, up, up. SO In the end I figured OK, give me 1600 W of juice please.

So speaking of cooling and specs and stuff, Check this out people...
@Blaylock, you will like this I think...
(And YES, this is not really a feasible design, just screwing around right now, but the concept is cool)
system1.jpg
system2.JPG
This place is 5 minutes from my house!!!!?????
http://saltlake.swagelok.com/
Get the software (Its Free)
http://www.swagelok.com/tools/mpc-configurator.aspx

Be advised, I have spent hours dinking around with this, its kinda addictive. The UI is a little Kludgy. No Undo and Cut/Copy/Paste multi-cell components is a little buggy. Otherwise the Flow Rate and Preasure drop analysis seems pretty solid, if I knew WTF. Also there is no radiator element I could find, but there are custom components I have not messed with, not that I would know what numbers to assign to what. I was looking at filter components, but again right now I don't know shiat...

Anyway, working on mounting up the reserviors/pumps, so I can get a real visual on the routes, and start cutting some pre-fit tubing. Once I get the pump for the Helix res, I will post some cool pics..

Cheers

Loop Route Ready - Finally

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ZBQ0MgBFQlYVdVQXU2ZEtIaDA/view?usp=sharing
So its been awhile since I have trespassed in this forum. But no worries, I will catch all of you bozos up, as well as any interlopers..

Hi Interlopers!!!:welcome:

So couple reasons for the motion through space since I last posted.
1-Lost my mojo man.
2-RMAs
3-working on TheBianch
4-$$$$$

So here is a quick pictoral of what's been going on...

Painting Rads - Is RAD!!!
IMG_1009.JPG IMG_1045.JPG
This was fun but a real pain in the *** actually. I had read all the posts, etc about how to do it.
Only the one side is really visible, and it was the one that ended up with a drip.
About 5 sandings and coats latter, I finally succumbed and settled, for now. Before finally assembly I plan to give it another go..

Get Screwed, Go Nuts
thumbscrew.jpg
I also was waiting on some new stainless thumb nuts to go with the chrome fan grills.
This was a little harder to find than anticipated, but as usual the guys at Newark came through for me, kinda. At $1.87 a pop. I bought 50!:eek:
http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/st...estType=Base&partNumber=27T8222&storeId=10194

Pumps "Pump You Up"
IMG_0980.JPG IMG_1052.JPG
So yeah, I ordered this sweet custom pump to run the Helix/fattfaddy loop. Sadly they sent the wrong color.
It was so dang pretty, I wanted to keep it and just order another, but these units are a little spendy.
Especially if you get the custom sleeving and pump upgrade.
So I sent it back and got the right one.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/performance-pcs-ber-655-fully-modded-d5-12-vdc-water-pump.html

Reassembly - Ready for plumbing
So at this point I just put everything back together

IMG_1060.JPG IMG_1062.JPG
I really like how this setup turned out with the painted rad.

IMG_1055.JPG IMG_1067.JPG
IMG_1069.JPG IMG_1074.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1081.JPG
.................................................. ................................

So, at this point I have a collection of fittings/tubing/etc. I originally purchased. Now I can finally start to play around with some routing...
And also figure out what I have that I don't need and what I need that I don't have, and then order the CPU block along with what I need.
I am going to put the complexities of hydrodynamics on the shelf for now and pretty much will go with Blaylock general reccomendations, to start.
Once I get the rig actually running and start thinking about an actual chiller, I cant start to dork it up.

If there is indeed "Anybody Out There!!" Your feedback, compliments and insults are always welcome.

Specifically...
Where is the appropriate place to put the flow and temp sensors? I know I will have a temp sensor inside the dual-res.
I already have one flow meter and another combo flow/temp meter. Just wondering...

So stay tuned for the upcoming episode:
"Plumbing for Geeks", "Where is the Plunger?", or "Laying Pipe:rock:!!!!"

Also make sure you stick around and keep sub'd or sub if your not.
There is a special surprise post eventually coming that reveals the 1st "Special Mod".
There will be a number of "Special Mods" revealed before this gig is over!!!

Hasta Entonces Tios!!

Welcome back Swart! Glad to see you're still suckin' air. :)

To answer your questions, I believe flow meters and sensors can go anywhere in the loop. Most builds I've seen have the flow meter in a highly visible location (as they're intended to be visible) and sensors just end up where ever they fit best.

I'm looking forward to future updates.

No Santa Here :-(

Its been awhile since the last update...

This update is to say there is no update!

XmasList is bust!!!

Tesla Claus did not bring me shiat.

Cause even he cant buy what the Chinese won't sell yet.
I am still stubbornly waiting for the Asus ROG Maximus VIII Formula mobo.

The only real nugget I can get that is even recent from ROG forum:

HOLD THE PHONE!!!

Press Release: ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces ROG Maximus VIII Formula

Just went to find the link to thread and found this on ROG site:

http://rog.asus.com/459662015/maxim...of-gamers-announces-rog-maximus-viii-formula/

This project will not continue under the current codename...
The actual build character and personality has finally revealed its true nature, hence its officially ordained name will be christened.

Stay tuned!

Back