• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Codename XmasList project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Make your PC run faster!!!

Put lights in it!!!

This is a first-time set-up. Will be moving stuff around, trying to avoid direct line-of-sight of any LED strip while maximizing effectiveness.
This case has an LED "harness" with an on/off button. I hooked up the white lights to it, for now:sly:...

IMG_3398.JPG IMG_3397.JPG IMG_3396.JPG IMG_3401.JPG IMG_3402.JPG IMG_3414.JPG

So I could really use some feedback here...

I want to remove the raised panel indicated in the yellow square...
or hack off the entire bottom, indicated by the red line. (note bolts for upper bays support - one missing) which would be the easiest approach.
But I like the idea of the window....

IMG_3410.JPG

Not sure what Phanteks had in mind here, besides their badge which I took off (Will replace with HackInc badge)

Anyway, I do not have the tools to make the cut, well anyway...
It has to be clean-clean-clean, like a plasma cutter?
And something that won't totally melt it. I got a few metal shops I can go to, but I need to know what to ask for, specifically...

Any suggestions??? Appreciate it!!!

what's SwartHack up to?
What's up with the missing parts!!!???:sly:
IMG_3389.JPG

Soldering skills a little rusty, kinda globby...

IMG_3393.JPG

Hasta!

Big Kid Tool I Want

SP said:
That's looking pretty sharp swart! Me likey :thup:
Thanks SP, sigh... I guess... I forget you can't read Merican very well...
'eh, I'll make sure to include more eh's so it makes more sense, okey dokey? 'eh...

Man do you read these things or just really like my pics:D:cool:!!!

What say you on the cutting!!?? Your a man of means and abiities...

This is COOL, but you would still have to free hand it or set-up some sort of jig...
http://www.eastwood.com/versa-cut-60-plasma-cutter.htm

p14099.jpg

I just want one cause it's awesome!!!

Anyone else on how I can/should cut this window out??!!

Thanks!

I've always used my Drexel but the edges are always rough. Takes a lot of filing to smooth it out. It's not perfect but it's what I have here. I'm not sure of the best way to do it.

Jigsaw with a very fine toothed blade. Or better yet waterjet it.

6f00e6c4dfc788fe6eaeb5a198ff0bf7_original.jpg

To bad it is not available yet:(

That is a dang cool toy Lochekey...

If I had "my" Shapeoko I could route it out with a fine bit, but alas I do not have "my" Shapeoko...
http://carbide3d.com/shapeoko/

shapeoko.jpg

Same rig you can put a laser on as well!!!.....

Yeah, I have cut out a few windows with the dremel/jigzaw approach...
They turned out OK, considering, but it wasn't pretty...

I have a new lead I am going to pursue this week for laser and cutting services...
http://wasatchlaser.com/capabilities

Problem with these types is I have to usually find an "in" for my one-off small projects.
I'll let ya'all know what transpires, of course...

Salud

I recently saw something similar to that Swart but it also would accept a 3d print head as well.

I would use my Dremel swart! Then clean it up really nice and square with a fine file after. :)

Either that or I'd have the beavers chew the part you want cut out. Not a clean cut but they make quick work of it!!

carbide3D only makes the actual Shapeoko rig, which is 3-axis.. but has no 3D upgrade, but look at all the other ones here
https://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=3145
These guys sell all the toys for it, and a lot more options and rig types since last time I priced out "my" Shapeoko rig.

I have exchanged a few emails with Jay, head guy there, asking about laser types and capabilities.
Very helpful and too informative for me at the time, he was anxious to put a package deal together for me when I was ready to buy...
Also concerned I got all the right components and pieces I needed.

Its actually quite amazing how accessible and semi-affordable this stuff is if your willing to go the diy/mod approach.
Some rigs I have seen use an Arduino as the controller board!
On that link towards the bottom is an awesome pictoral step-by-step of upgrading the shapeoko to laser.

I will get one someday!! That and the plasma torch!!!

Hasta

So I got back to working on this proj a little. Had it stripped down a bit working on lighting and switches...
Finally got it back together, with lighting unfinished for now (upcoming post) cause it had been sitting too long, plus I needed to get back into the clocktagon:clap:

Had it running fine and decided I needed to get the second Gcard back in there. So went for that, with a different set-up from last time...
Here is a quick run down..
View attachment 189411

View attachment 189413

So after running for a few and satisfied with my work, I go to fire up.

View attachment 189417

NO CODES!!!

Gonna farm this one out...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/780852-Father-Time-Down!!!-Help!!!

Cheers

Back