• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best heatsink for the Lian Li Q08B

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firey_chasm

Hi,

I am building a new system as per the below post:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/762966-New-Skylake-based-build-advise-requested

I have been recommended to look for a better cooler. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was going to use the Corsair H60 with 1x120mm Noctua fan (pushing air out of the case through the radiator) and a 140mm intake fan on the front of the case.

My main problem is space. I was thinking along the lines of the attached image:
http://cdn.overclock.net/f/f5/600x471px-f5b09011_h60inpc-q08.jpeg

Thanks in advance for any help

Unfortunately I do need the 3.5" drives. But otherwise nice suggestion.

Thinking of fan directions atm as well. If I have the 140mm fan on the front as an Intake. Then the 120mm fan on the top with the h60 attached as an exhaust.

The psu can either then pull air from inside the case and exhaust it out the back, or just look after itself, pulling air from outside and not touching the internal temperatures.

Are you sure the H60 will clear all your hardware?
It looks to be incredibly tight on the top

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835242009 with a good fan and the top fan as intake so it blows air onto the heat sink, then the front as exhaust, should pull a good amount of heat from the hdd's.

Thanks for the suggestion, do low profile air coolers compare to systems like the h60?

From what I read, the h60 is more comparable to the full size heatsinks. Below is one example of what I am reading.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2624420/corsair-h55-h60-low-profile-air-coolers-4690.html

Would be really interested if anyone has personal experience or a good article they can link to.

Check out FrostyTech, their comparison table in reviews will give you a MUCH better idea of what the H60 (isn't) capable of.

Would the NH-C14 fit in that case?

If you only use the lower fan on the NH-C14 it's 105mm
It will be MUCH quieter than the H60.

If you only use the lower fan on the NH-C14 it's 105mm
It will be MUCH quieter than the H60.

That bright will work, just not sure if it will clash with the memory or grfx card etc on my motherboard (mitx z170 gaming a/c motherboard)

Trying to Google some similar setups now

One thing you may be forgetting, all tests you see with an H60 are in properly ventilated cases, with the rad directly against the psu you will suffer from poorer performance from what you may read in reviews.

One thing you may be forgetting, all tests you see with an H60 are in properly ventilated cases, with the rad directly against the psu you will suffer from poorer performance from what you may read in reviews.

This is true of any cooler in that space though, so looking at reviews is still applicable.

The heatsink I linked is only 45mm, 70mm with fan, should leave 30mm between it and the back side of the psu. Were as having the radiator sitting 5mm? away from the top of the psu? heat soak would be imminent. Now if you used the fan as exhaust to pull heat away that may work better than trying to blow air thru the radiator blocked by a psu.

The H60 would deffiently work, in my opinion air is the better route.

Hmm, so yes the noctura appears to fit, nice of noctura to maintain that site for motherboards.
Although frosty didn't test it with only 1 fan. Other sites show a slight drop off but not too much, might well bring it down closer to the h60.

Part of my thoughts is the air flow. 140mm intake in the front will bring in all the cold air. Then 120mm out of the top through the rad. This will have positive pressure on the case which I hoping will counteract the negative of have the psu so close to the rad.

Or it is 120mm fan blowing cold air in and across the heatsink of something like a notua (or whatever suits it best ) then being pulled out of the 140mm fan on the front, creating negative pressure. (unless I flip the psu around to also act as am extraction).

Back