• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake TR2 600W for testing High end system. Safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

motherboard1

I have an old - Thermaltake TR2 600W - which has been shelved for a few years now. It only ever seen a week or 2 of use but it's old and cheap. The issue is I'd like to swap it into my system to help rule out my current Power supply (Corsair AX 860 Platinum 2.5 years old) as the culprit in my frequent and consistent system crashes which started yesterday. Would this be fine or System suicide?

BTW I've removed the 980 ti and put in a gtx 970 so power requirement will be that much less.

===

Edit/Update

Ok so after crashing every 5 minutes in the OS or within 10 seconds of launching any Game or High resolution video, or some youtube videos I finally got stability back. I unplugged the PXI-E 6+2 from the PSU's [ PCI-E 6+2/CPU 8 ] Slot and plugged it into another one of the PSU's many [ PCI-E 6+2/CPU 8 ] slots. Now the system is stable for a couple hours gaming. Gonna try some video editing.

Anyway I'm sure this indicates something greater is wrong with the PSU, I'm going to call Corsair tomorrow and ask them about this.

Anyway. The AX 860 Platinum has a 7 year warranty according to the booklet that came with it (can't find the box) I'm gonna order a new PSU and when it gets here, I'll send this one in for replacement. Unless someone tells me that my old but barely used Thermaltake TR2 600W will fill this roll long enough for Corsair to replace this thing.

Last edited:
Just saw this thread, it definitely sounds like the Corsair has a problem.

Look at the EVGA SuperNova G2 series, they're top of the line.

600W Thermaltake PSU would do the job. If you're not sure, you may run your system on stock setting.

Woah, 90 days. Good call. I don't know if peace of mind is worth the discount. If they had confidence there would be a warranty

Ok, slight change of plans. I've decided to try and put together a Micro ITX build on the side with my GTX 970 acx and possibly a Raijintek Metis Case, and a 650 Watt EVGA G2 SuperNova because it's slightly shorter according to the specs, otherwise I'd buy a 750 or 850 Watt PSU.

But I'm hoping to use the 650 Watt G2 in my current build ( FX - 8350 and GTX 980Ti ) while I send this AX 860 in on warranty. If you would advice against using the 650 Watt in my 980Ti build temporarily, please let me know before I make the move, my AX 860 is running out of working [PCI-E 6+2/CPU 8] slots.

I'd keep everything at stock speeds if you're going to run it, but it should be capable of handling the CPU and 980ti.

Thanks guys, I ordered the 650W G2 a couple days ago now. As for my Corsair AX 860, that thing just melted my PCIE 6+2 cable. I'd been switching the cable from one port to another whenever it would act up, well this time I tried to pull it out and it wouldn't come. I thought it was just tight tolerances on the socket till I wound up fighting with it on the floor with all the other cables disconnected but the one. Took a pair of needle nose pliers and a good deal of struggle to get it to finally pop out. Upon inspection it appears the thing basically welded itself into the socket, it is 100% unmistakably melted.

As far as I can tell it's fine, I didn't observe any melting on the cards end of the cable. I'm on the same PSU right now posting this with a new PCI - 6+2 Cable in a different slot. I dare not launch any demanding applications and this is just long enough to post here and request an RMA, which I just finished.

Well. I just watched another Corsair AX860 Platinum die. This one went out with a bang and threw blue fire from the PSU.

Same system as the first time but a lesser GPU ( only gtx 970 this time ) and a new case with a couple more fans.

This is a platinum power supply with a 7 year warranty, in fact this was a warranty replacement unit. The entire system probably only has 100 hours of usage on it. It basically just stays off except when I have friends over for the odd gaming session.

The more powerful system with an EVGA G2 650Watt PSU just kept running Dying Light while the newer, more expensive, higher rated Platinum PSU sitting next to it attempted to light itself on fire.

It was probably a refurb.

Stands to reason I guess. But it did come fully packaged in box with all accessories. But I don't think I want to play this game anymore.

I'm just going to eat the $170 dollars I spent on extra "reliability", save the money I spend sending these things back , swear off corsair and just replace it with an EVGA unit.

Last edited:
You have warranty. RMA it and sell it when it gets back. No reason to take a total loss.

wow thats a seasonic built unit too. glad to see you didnt lose anything else!

Back