• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New installation of windows 7 on laptop problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

Good morning guys, I have another problem here. I've looked on the web and tried everything to no avail. So here's the story...
I installed windows 7 on my laptop, fresh install. Then I installed my chipset and wireless lan drivers, google chrome, malwarebytes and ccleaner. After about 2 hours of updates, it has come to a point were when I try to do a windows update (which I know there are alot more to get yet) it says checking for updates and just sits there. I looked in task manager and the memory being used for this svchost/update is 1,500,000 and the cpu% is at 99%! What should I do?

Reboot?

WU servers are probably being choked by all the W10 downloads and repairs.

If I may say and if available, the quickest and easiest solution would be a factory reinstall from images which should be on the laptop.

This may not be case with you but after Windows 8 came out, there was a small army of people who took the long and cumbersome approach of installing Windows 7 on their laptops instead of simply converting Windows 8 into Windows 7 User Interface using Classic Shell.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/752525-How-do-you-install-classic-shell-in-Win-8-1

Yes I have rebooted atleast 30 times. I had the Windows 7 key on my desktop and upgraded to Windows 10 but when I installed a new ssd on it the Windows 10 wouldn't work. I tried the system image and repair disk way so I had to buy a Windows 10 key. Anyhow, the old ssd I wiped and installed Windows 7 on it with the old key and all was fine till Service Pack 1 was installed, then it became slow as a snail.

The laptop doesn't have an AMD APU in it by any chance, does it? Those things are tricky to do a from scratch install. The drivers and inf files for the APU have to be loaded in a certain order.

You could try deleting the contents of "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution", I know that used to help me on XP when WU would bug out. You may not be able to delete everything, just reboot and try running updates again after the reboot.

Is the laptop part of a domain by any chance?

Back