• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shadowplay from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cor3000000323

Registered
Hi,

This is a question to anyone who knows a bit about Shadowplay, the recording software from nVidia.
I have an issue which is perhaps not an actual problem from Shadowplay but simply a preference that I have.
I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this kind of question, I also wrote a post on the official GeForce forums, so we'll see.

Switching to Win10, Shadowplay has given me absolutely no problem, recording still works with every game and no performance issue. The only difference is that in Win7 before I switched, Shadowplay was automatically cutting the recordings into 3.9GB files every time it reached that size (meaning 15-20 minutes in the games I play), which it does not do anymore in Win10.

I thought it was a feature but after researching a bit around the web it seems it was because it had to be this way in Win7 for Shadowplay to work correctly. Tell me if I'm wrong. What I want to know though is if there is any way at all to reactivate this with Shadowplay in Win10, since it is in fact really useful for my recording purposes and the disk space I have available.

If there is no way to re-activate this I will simply manually stop and start recording again between every match in the games I play, but I would still appreciate this to be possible.

Thanks very much to anyone who would answer.

Did you try reinstalling the driver and software after your upgrade?

Hey,

I did the upgrade to Windows 10 then a complete clean install with formatting so I started fresh, but I tried anyway to uninstall GeForce experience then reinstall my drivers to the latest and GeForce experience, but still the same result. By looking around the web it seems the cutting of the files was only happening in Windows 7, and in Windows 8 they had already "fixed" it. I may be wrong though, or I hope I am.

Hmm, that makes me wonder if there was an OS limitation in 7 that doesn't exist any more.
It definitely seems like an issue, not intended usage, for it to cut files.

Yes, it does seem you're right judging by this page:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-filesize-limit-on-win7-even-64bit-/?offset=7

It was in fact a limitation that was already removed in Windows 8, unfortunately for a lot people the 3.9GB files are annoying, not useful. I'd like this to be an option in the software, but it isn't.
I will simply have to manually stop and re-start the recordings to not get gigantic files then.
Anyway thx a lot for your help, now I have the answer. I wonder if this will become a feature in a future release, we'll see.

You could always use the "push button to record last x minutes" method if you want small files

Hi,

This is a question to anyone who knows a bit about Shadowplay, the recording software from nVidia.
I have an issue which is perhaps not an actual problem from Shadowplay but simply a preference that I have.
I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this kind of question, I also wrote a post on the official GeForce forums, so we'll see.

Switching to Win10, Shadowplay has given me absolutely no problem, recording still works with every game and no performance issue. The only difference is that in Win7 before I switched, Shadowplay was automatically cutting the recordings into 3.9GB files every time it reached that size (meaning 15-20 minutes in the games I play), which it does not do anymore in Win10.

I thought it was a feature but after researching a bit around the web it seems it was because it had to be this way in Win7 for Shadowplay to work correctly. Tell me if I'm wrong. What I want to know though is if there is any way at all to reactivate this with Shadowplay in Win10, since it is in fact really useful for my recording purposes and the disk space I have available.

If there is no way to re-activate this I will simply manually stop and start recording again between every match in the games I play, but I would still appreciate this to be possible.

Thanks very much to anyone who would answer.

NTFS don't have a 3.9 GB file size limit, so that's absurd.
Even Windows 2000 don't have a limit like that.

OTOH, FAT32 has a 4 GB file size limit. (may actually be 3.9 GB)

And at the GeForce message board, I saw a limit that was totally artificial. Microsoft, that's absurd to put an FAT32-esque file size limit with NTFS! Shame on you Microsoft!

Afterburner, FTW, even on XP, no problems.

Last edited:
NTFS don't have a 3.9 GB file size limit, so that's absurd.
Even Windows 2000 don't have a limit like that.

OTOH, FAT32 has a 4 GB file size limit. (may actually be 3.9 GB)

And at the GeForce message board, I saw a limit that was totally artificial. Microsoft, that's absurd to put an FAT32-esque file size limit with NTFS! Shame on you Microsoft!

Afterburner, FTW, even on XP, no problems.

ShadowPlay runs on a low-level H.264 encoder built in to new NVidia GPU's.
So, no, not Afterburner FTW for this.

Back