• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Kingwin Power Dock USB 3.0 Clone Docking Station Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Portable storage devices have become very popular over the years, especially for people on the go or in charge of maintaining numerous PCs. The Kingwin Power Dock Clone Docking Station has the ability to easily add external storage via its USB 3.0 interface and can also clone hard drives without being connected to a PC. These features should make it an enticing option for IT professional and home users alike. Let's go check this unit out and see what Kingwin's Power Dock USB 3.0 Clone Docking Station has to offer.
Click here to view the article.

I hope there's software updates planned for this. This guy would be great for cloning my benching drives.

Great write-up!

Sweet Dino. Thanks for the find and testing. I used something similar about 20 years ago, industrial availability only and wondered at the time if a retail version would ever make the market. Excellent.

Just an FYI for everyone on this review. It was updated as far as the software goes. Originally I couldn't get the software to install, but as it turns out there must have been a problem with the mini-CD included in the box. I downloaded the software instead, and it installed and worked fine. So, in the end, the software should work with XP through Win 10.

Thanks for the review and thanks or the update.

I'm happy to see that the disk capacity of these devices seems to be creeping up, though not as fast as the drive themselves. I wonder if the firmware on any of these is ever updated to keep up with drive size.

Do you have any idea how USB speed compares to something like eSata (which I would think would be as fast as a normal SATA connection?) I'm too lazy to look it up. ;) I see "USB 3.0 (up to 5Gbps) SATA III (6Gbps)" in the article but SATA is optimized for disk transfer whereas USB is more general purpose (AFAIK.)

4tb max is useless to me. I picked up a thermaltake usb3 hdd adapter just for this occasion. 2.5" drives need just the dongle and a usb3 port. 3.5's require the wall plug as well. Basic as hell but will get the job done regardless of the size of the drive. Works with internal writers as well.

Back