• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another Service Net Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SevenWonders

Hello and thank you for viewing my thread. I am currently having some issues with Service Net and when I searched their name on google I found some threads on this forum. I decided to seek the opinion of Overclockers after viewing this thread specifically (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/618593-Service-Net-is-yanking-me-around).

My issue:
- I purchased an MSI gaming laptop with an extended warranty from Newegg. My service provider was AIG Service Net.
- The first year was smooth, but then my computer was unable to charge or boot (if connected to an outlet with the battery removed). My opinion, without actually opening it up, was that the DC power jack had gone bad. Nothing hard to repair (probably $20 in parts), but I figured I'd take advantage of my warranty. When I got my laptop back I was surprised to see that my motherboard was replaced, but at the time I thought nothing of it.
- After I received my laptop back it was much louder than it had previously been. While I know that noise isn't covered in my warranty, I know from experience that noise can be indicative of an underlying problem. I continued to have issues, and the laptop was repaired 4 times. Since I received it after the 4th repair I've put it aside, because it's rather cumbersome to have to keep backing up my data/erasing my computer and then losing it for periods of time.
- I believe my product is defective, and would like a replacement under the No Lemon Clause which states: "when three service repairs, with three separate claim numbers, have been completed on the same part, and that same part requires repair under a fourth claim number, as determined by Us, Your Product will be replaced with a Product of like grade and quality by Us, not to exceed the original retail purchase price." (http://www.newegg.com/)
- When I purchased my laptop from Newegg the entire unit was labeled as a single part.
- I first spoke to Newegg who at first told me I was not eligible because I did not have 4 documented issues on a component. After explaining to a manager that the contract said part and Newegg labeled the entire laptop was a part when I purchased it I was told I was eligible for a replacement and to speak to Service Net.
- I then spoke to Service Net because I was under the impression that when it was deemed that my part had 4 repairs I would get a replacement automatically.
-I first spoke to a representative who told me that because my computer was now working that I did not meet clause 12 of the contract. The representative forwarded me to a manager. The manager evidently did not know the contract, and I felt attempted to trick me into giving up. The manager first claimed that the unit was working, and he didn't see a problem. I told him that working or not, that I had 4 documented issues with the laptop and wanted a replacement. The manager claimed that I misunderstood the agreement, and that on the 5th issue they would consider whether or not I meet the agreement. After finally agreeing to review the contract, he came back to tell me that because my problems were not all on the same component I was not covered. I tried to point out to him that when I purchased the product the entire laptop was labeled as a part. He ignored that and continued to say that Service Net interpreted the part as meaning component. I told him that I would have NewEgg contact him, and thanked him for his time. On hanging up he made a condescending remark to me that made me question whether or not I was actually speaking to a supervisor.*I expected that much of Service Net after I read their horrible reviews before I made the phone call, but figured NewEgg would have my back.
- After following up with Newegg multiple times, they finally got back to me after a month to tell me that the same component had not been replaced 4 times and I was not eligible for a replacement. I'm extremely frustrated that after spending all this time I've come back to square one. I feel as though Newegg isn't actually reading the messages that I've taken the time to write. I don't understand why they think that a No Lemon guarantee would ever focus around a single component. There are what 13 main laptop components? I think it's ridiculous that a user could have 39 documented repairs and still not be eligible. I would have never purchased the computer or signed the contract had I known I wasn't actually being covered for a Lemon unit.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. I feel like I'm going in circles, so I'm looking for some advice. Should I just take this as a lesson to research more about a warranty provider before I make a purchase, and take the loss financially? I'm not sure what other options I have.

Lesson to be learned: Never, ever, ever waste money on those so-called "warranty" services that places try to tack on when selling you something.

If you think you'll need an extended warranty for something that only comes with one year, get a Discover or American Express card, and they give you an extra year. Otherwise, go with SquareTrade, who are actually known to be reliable.

Last edited:
Lesson to be learned: Never, ever, ever waste money on those so-called "warranty" services that places try to tack on when selling you something.

If you think you'll need an extended warranty for something that only comes with one year, get a Discover or American Express card, and they give you an extra year. Otherwise, go with SquareTrade, who are actually known to be reliable.
The laptop manufacture is generally known for great reliability, and I spent a lot on it. I didn't think I'd need the warranty at all, but I figured better safe than sorry. I think I would have been better not purchasing the warranty, and letting the manufacturer take care of repairs.

I just read the warranty for Square Trade. "10. NO LEMON POLICY:
If Your Covered Product has two (2) service repairs completed for the same problem, and a third (3rd) repair is needed for the same problem, within any twelve (12) month period, the Covered Product will be replaced with a comparable product or a cash settlement will be provided. The cost of the replacement will not exceed Your Product's original purchase price."

Now that makes sense. Starting to think I would have been better off purchasing from Amazon with Square Trade.

Visa does the same thing, or at least my visa does.
And it totally depends on the shop, for example, one of my local electronics stores has an extended warranty plan that really works. And if you don't have to use the warranty, they give you an in store credit for the amount that you paid for the warranty. Things like that are few and far between though, most are total scams.

Back