• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

r9 380 4bg g1 gigabyte

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onix87

Registered
Hello,

I have a question for you guys. I bought my r9 380 gpu a few weeks ago and I have it at stock speed 990 mhz boost clock and 1425 mhz memory clock. The thing is, if I wan't to keep the card in games at constant 990 mhz I have to set +20% power limit in amd overdrive. What could be the problem? If I have power limit at default my clock fluctuates from 930 mhz to 970 mhz. Could this just be a driver problem? I have the latest driver instaled. Is this something to worry about or is this normal for this card? I don't mind having +20% power limit on, but could it damage my card? Thanks all in advance for help!

It just means that you're hitting the TDP at stock settings.
As long as temps are good raising the power limit has no risks.

But does that mean there is something wrong with my card or is it normal? I find it strange that I cant reach max boost with stock tdp limit. Could this be a driver issue?

Is it normal, that I cant hit 990 default mhz with normal power limit? I am worried that this is something that shouldn't happen. Lets say in witcher 3 the clock is only around 940 mhz. So it this normal? But the problem goes away when I up the power limit.

But does that mean there is something wrong with my card or its normal? I find it strange that in order to work at full speed I have to raise the power limit. Shouldn't it work at default tdp at full speed?

It should work at stock speeds without having to raise the power limit. Are you on the latest drivers? Maybe the stock voltage on the card is higher than normal due to the chip quality. Either way, raising the power limit won't hurt anything so it's probably not worth worrying about.

Maybe its just the drivers needing a little tweak, since one guy from tom's hardware said he has exactly the same gigabyte card and it does the same. Also it says on the specs side of r9 380 up to 990 mhz not just 990 mhz. IDK, I guess I am gonna stop worrying and just enjoy the new graphic card :). Also it depends on the game, in some games I get 987 mhz on some 960, so maybe there is nothing wrong.

Back