• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Headset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

King107s

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new PC Gaming Headset any suggestions? I mostly play single & multiplayer FPS's where 'hearing' what direction something came from is critical.

A couple things I'm curious to hear personal feedback on is wireless headsets (battery life? audio lagg?) and USB based headsets where the native sound processing is done on the device rather than through the main board.

I'd be willing to spend a bit more if it was really worth it quality wise but I was looking to keep it around $200 budget wise.

Thanks for your feedback!

I will have my review showdown of various gaming headsets here this week (barring any major issues) for wireless I used the g930, steelseries h wireless, and turtle beach elite 800.

The h wireless was my favorite wireless, favorite wired was a sennheiser g4me one. Ultimately I'm leaning towards recommending getting a decent set of headphones and a separate microphone.

I will have my review showdown of various gaming headsets here this week (barring any major issues) for wireless I used the g930, steelseries h wireless, and turtle beach elite 800.

The h wireless was my favorite wireless, favorite wired was a sennheiser g4me one. Ultimately I'm leaning towards recommending getting a decent set of headphones and a separate microphone.

The H Wireless worked pretty well, but it hit the outside of my ears and caused them to hurt after an hour or so.

I have the sennheiser pc350se as well and like the sound of them, but I struggle to get them to fit my head properly and lose bass. If I put just a bit of pressure on the cans themselves they come around and sound great. May be that the earcups need to soften up and then will work fine. But as they are I tend to just use my Phillips Fidelio's

The H Wireless worked pretty well, but it hit the outside of my ears and caused them to hurt after an hour or so.

I'm wearing them right now (while writing up this review) and I haven't had that issue of any pain regarding them on my ears. My ears are average size (according to the Googles - 6.5cm from lobe to top of the ear) and my entire ear can fit inside of the cups, but just barely. The only headset that gave me any trouble was the SteelSeries Elite Prism (very tight head clamp)

I'm wearing them right now (while writing up this review) and I haven't had that issue of any pain regarding them on my ears. My ears are average size (according to the Googles - 6.5cm from lobe to top of the ear) and my entire ear can fit inside of the cups, but just barely. The only headset that gave me any trouble was the SteelSeries Elite Prism (very tight head clamp)

My issue wasn't from height, it was depth of the ear cup.

Having tried a vast number of wireless headsets, just stay with wired.
The only one that was near worth it was the G930, as my first one was awesome. My second one though, wasn't. I believe the quality went downhill on those.

I've been very impressed by my Sennheiser PC350SE. By far one of the most comfortable headsets I've worn and great quality.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O510Y8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

What is your main reason for wanting to stick to wired sets now?

The GAME ONE's look nice but i noticed that they are an open design which means no noise blocking... Sometimes my daughter will watch a movie or TV in the same room so noise could be a factor for me. How much of an impact does this design type have on sound quality in spite of the lack of noise blocking?

I can't find a wireless headset that comes near the sound quality of my Sennies.
And the ones that are remotely close are $300.

The GAME ONE's look nice but i noticed that they are an open design which means no noise blocking... Sometimes my daughter will watch a movie or TV in the same room so noise could be a factor for me. How much of an impact does this design type have on sound quality in spite of the lack of noise blocking?

The G4me zero headsets are closed design for what it's worth. I haven't tried them, but I imagine them to be similar.

GAME ZERO is closed back, GAME ONE is open back.
I personally prefer closed back to keep out ambient noise.
What good is the best headset in the world if you get outside noises through like crazy?

Sorry, you did a switcharoo on me :) I'll see what they are going for on amazon

I see a lot of the present Sennheiser's have 50ohm impedance and one of the ones mentioned above has 150 ohms! I'm assuming I'll need a 3.5mm headphone amp to run them or a sound card that has a built-in amp like the Sound Blaster Z PCIe Gaming Sound Card with High Performance Headphone Amp....?

With only a 50ohm impedence you shouldn't need an amp. If you were pushing over 80ohms I believe is when it could become beneficial.

With only a 50ohm impedence you shouldn't need an amp. If you were pushing over 80ohms I believe is when it could become beneficial.

I agree.
At 150Ω I would get one for sure. At 50Ω you don't need one.

Actually the impedance does NOT determine how hard they are to drive (ala if you need an amp or not, or higher quality amp, etc. etc.). As an example, my daily drivers are a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm, I can run them at reasonable sound levels off my phone.... Albeit lacking a bit of detail. About the Sennies though, no, you absolutely do NOT need an amp. However, if you want to bring out a little more from the headphones, I would definitely suggest an amp.

Taken from over at Head-Fi:
SanjiWatsuki said:
I've been seeing this myth floating around a lot and I feel like I'm constantly correcting posts about how hard it is to drive a headphone on this. The worst part is that new users read this generalization and then start telling other people that impedance is how hard it is to drive a headphone, and then more new users read those posts...

Well, it actually comes down to a formula.

Power in Watts = ( Voltage * Voltage ) / Impedance
dB SPL = Sensitivity in dB/mW + 10 * LOG ( Power in mW)

As impedance goes up, the voltage squared is divided by a bigger number, but sensitivity gives a higher starting point for that dB SPL calculation. They both work together to determine how hard it is to drive a headphone, but the sensitivity is probably the more important component.

Now, as far as HEADSETS, when it comes to wired, under $100 the Skullcandy SLYR is the best priced at $70 with the Sennheiser G4ME One/Zero at $180 being my PERSONAL choice favorite for headsets in regards to quality, then you have the AudioTechnica ADG1 and AG1 for $220~, and then Beyerdynamic MMX300 for $300+.

Now, the question you asked regarding sound quality between open and closed, this is a tricky one. GENERALLY open designs tend to sound better than closed simply thanks to the design of being open-air. The open-air design of headphones can help give the impression that sound is coming from around you, as opposed to emanating from your head, which is a characteristic of closed-back and in-ear headphones. So if you want absolute sound stage alongside the best sounding, it will be open-back without a doubt. And the larger sound stage lends itself best for FPS games and positioning.

On the other hand, you have the downsides of open cans, which are noise leak both in and out alongside what I can only describe as bass that does not quite have that impact provided by closed cans. The pros to closed though are noise isolation alongside a generally more impactful bass. Of course, the sound stage tends to shrink considerably, so if you are worried about positioning, you need to get a set of open, if you are more worried about noise isolation and don't NEED the best sound positioning, closed is the way to go.

Now, if you want to save a little but love the general awesomness Sennheiser tends to provide, you can just buy a pair of the HD 598 for $150 from Amazon. The G4ME One/Zero use the same drivers as found in the 598, you are paying a little more for the microphone convenience. Then of course attach a modmic to it and have a detachable mic for whenever you want :) Of course, if you actually plan to make use of the attached microphone on the G4ME headset, then go in that direction as a modmic will cost you around $40~, tipping the scale in favor of the G4ME headset.

Last edited:
Back