• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WRT1900ac and OpenWRT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toraidhe

Registered
I have been using the WRT1900ac Linksys router for about a year now. I initially purchased it because it was supposed to have Open Source support upon launch of the product. Boy did that fall through, and boy is the stock firmware crap (as expected). A year after the initial release they finally have a decent release candidate for OpenWRT. I am wondering if anyone has used OpenWRT before, and what they think of it, specifically if they used it on the WRT1900ac or the WRT1200ac.

I have been using the WRT1900ac Linksys router for about a year now. I initially purchased it because it was supposed to have Open Source support upon launch of the product. Boy did that fall through, and boy is the stock firmware crap (as expected). A year after the initial release they finally have a decent release candidate for OpenWRT. I am wondering if anyone has used OpenWRT before, and what they think of it, specifically if they used it on the WRT1900ac or the WRT1200ac.

OpenWRT is supposed to be for users familiar with networking settings - the interface is less user friendly than DD-WRT.

That said I do​ prefer DD-WRT.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I am perfectly fine with network settings, have used DD-WRT and wasn't aware of it being in the works for the new WRT1900ac and 1200ac models.

On another note, how do they compare to building a pfSense router? It's another option I have been debating on but would like to keep everything low power so I haven't setup pfSense yet (even though i have a spare box and a card for extra eth ports).

If pfSense is good enough in comparison I may just go that route instead.

Back