• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling pump failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jostombs

So I ordered a new mcp655 pump and installed it but after one day of it working fine it has stopped pumping completely. Now after taking it off the loop and checking for clogs or any visible problems, it will vibrate every 4 seconds but won't start up properly.
Things I have tried:
-Tip the case in every direction to get the liquid flowing.
-disassembled it
-changed molex spot
-changed the speed controller
When it first happened I was able to tip the case with the mobo facing up and it turned on once I flipped it back upright. After putting it back in its place I again ran into the issue, only this time I could feel it vibrating.

At any point in time has the pump been powered up while dry? Even a small amount of dry running time can damage the bearings. When filling the loop it is essential to make sure the pump is filled with coolant before being powered on.

A list of your loop components and the order they're arranged in will help us diagnose.

At any point in time has the pump been powered up while dry? Even a small amount of dry running time can damage the bearings. When filling the loop it is essential to make sure the pump is filled with coolant before being powered on.

A list of your loop components and the order they're arranged in will help us diagnose.

+1 on both

OP, also give us a few pictures of your whole rig with the loop. Gives us a run down where everything is and which direction your flow is heading, etc.

Its possible you got a bad pump but its high likely it was mistakenly run dry. That's if it was making death defying screeching noises.

Back