• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Patriot or Mushkin SSD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I need to buy a cheap SSD, and these 2 cost the same, both 120gb, but which should i go for?

Patriot Blaze PB120GS25SSDR 120GB or Mushkin Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB-7 120GB?

or should i play it safe and buy Kingston SSDNow V300 SV300S37A/120G, which i know are decent SSD's.

Price diff is to tiny to talk about, but i like to try new things also once in a while.

Out of those three, the Mushkin.

That said, I'll never buy a SandForce based SSD again.
Spend the little bit of extra money and get an actual quality unit like an 850 EVO.

That ^^.

You can also look up reviews of the drives and check out differences that way.

Thkse kings ton drives are NKT good drives...aren't thkse the ones Kingston bait and switched on us?

I would get Patriot from these 3. I had a chance to test 240GB version and was pretty good in all tests and for sure is better option than anything on SandForce.
Blaze is using Phison controllers so about the same what you can find in most Corsair SSD.

This laptop will be used for school work only, sitting in school writing, and home use is mainly facebook. Performance is not the top issue here.

I have a kingston in my own laptop, and performance has been great. I am aware that they dont live up to the specs and that, but the price is almost double when it comes to Kingston/Patriot/Mushkin vs Samsung. Here at least.

See below:

That said, their were many issues with the Samsung SSD's and non of the 2 i have, have ever lived up to being anywhere as close to the specs as they should. 30 to 40% below specs.

+ my 840 Pro refused to work on X99 platform. So please understand why i dont feel like the higher price seems worth it.

Are the 850's really that much better?

You won't see any difference regarding performance. Looking at reliability it's almost the same too as everything can fail even though all popular manufacturers are making high quality hardware. Difference will be mainly in warranty length as Samsung has much longer warranty - 5 years or more vs 3 years for Patriot/Mushkin/Kingston.

Warranty isnt such an issue, if it dies after 3 years, i'd be fine with a replacement.

I have been running a 32gb ssd in a laptop for 3 years now, and it was bought used, no issues with it.

As far as issue with SSD's i have had one Corair die on me. One kingston (first gen from my x56 build) refused to work with Z87, but perfect running on Z77. One Samsung 840 Pro, refused to run on X99.

The reviews i have found on the Patriot seems to make them stand out, as able to live up to withing 5-10% of advertised Specs, and the price is also lower than Samsung. Since the laptop is just a Celeron CPU, 4gb ram, I see no reason to spend more on the SSD, when the speed wont even be noticed by the user at all.

My current Kingston in my own laptop boots from i press the power to ready in windows in under 20secs, so i cant complain on that front.

Right now, i think im going to try the Patriot.

I had no problems with Samsung, Crucial, Corsair, Patriot, ADATA, Plextor, PQI and Kingston on any board since at least X58 ( don't remember earlier boards ). I don't think it's the SSD issue if it's not working ( except that some laptop manufacturers are locking access for some products ... like apple ). In most cases when you are moving SSD from one PC to another and it's not working, then you have to clean its surface like full cell cleaning for what windows diskpart is good enough.

I had no problems with Samsung, Crucial, Corsair, Patriot, ADATA, Plextor, PQI and Kingston on any board since at least X58 ( don't remember earlier boards ). I don't think it's the SSD issue if it's not working ( except that some laptop manufacturers are locking access for some products ... like apple ). In most cases when you are moving SSD from one PC to another and it's not working, then you have to clean its surface like full cell cleaning for what windows diskpart is good enough.

With both my Kingston and Samsung 840 Pro, i did at least 5 format + re-install, and it would lock up every time (Firmware updates make no change). Soon as the were hooked to older platforms, no issues. I almost went crazy both times, cos it was new builds both times, and with at least one GPU somehow failing both times. (Both went off RMA and were troubled)

But the Patriot has been ordered now, and should arrive within the next 2 to 3 days.

Back