• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey Guys, I'm back for round 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if your gonna go for DDR3 check out the ram in my sig on Amazon. You might like what you see. You can even stay at the 16GB mark then

Almost half the price to just go WD Blue,
WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Of course though, for the $70~ price range in HDD's, you can get a 2TB or 3TB drive.
Toshiba 3TB $89

Hm, I just feel like 2TB would be overkill, I'm normally pretty good about cleaning up, I've never really even filled up a 500GB but your right, why not future proof a bit and have 2-3TB for the same price.

Hey guys, I have a Microcenter about 2 hours or so from me round trip which isn't terrible for the right savings and looking through their selection here I found a bundle that they offer that seems like it might be a comparable choice for me, any opinions? http://cart.microcenter.com/cart.aspx?RedirectUrl=http://www.microcenter.com

EDIT: I also switched the board from the Gigabyte to a comparable ASRock board with much stronger reviews about build quality and after my last build that had an ASRock in it, they earned my loyalty.

Last edited:
Food for thought, dont buy anything other than CPU/Motherboard at microcenter btw. I think thats their business strategy -> super cheap cpu's to get you in the door, then price gouge you with other nonsense.

Brand loyalty only goes so far. You can like gigabyte all you want, but if youre swapping from a higher end Asrock board to a lower end gigabyte, thats simply foolish. Asrock has awesome service from my experiences with them. That said I can't see which boards you posted.

Food for thought, dont buy anything other than CPU/Motherboard at microcenter btw. I think thats their business strategy -> super cheap cpu's to get you in the door, then price gouge you with other nonsense.

Brand loyalty only goes so far. You can like gigabyte all you want, but if youre swapping from a higher end Asrock board to a lower end gigabyte, thats simply foolish. Asrock has awesome service from my experiences with them. That said I can't see which boards you posted.

No no. I'm switching from GIGABYTE to ASRock because of the reviews of the build quality of the GIGABYTE. I'm a fan of ASRock as well. The GIGABYTE I was orignially looking at has a ton of DOA reviews.

Hey guys, quick question. The 970 only comes with 3xDisplay Port, 1xHDMI and 1xDVI, so as it is currently, I'll have to run 1 monitor with DVI and 1 with HDMI, what do you guys recommend? It's only a minor inconvenience and these monitors are highly recommended from quite a few sources so I don't want to stray from them too much but I would prefer to have both cables running the same style of cabling. The monitors do not support Display Port so that isn't an option.

Also, I'm pretty much tight on my current price point so I can't really budge to spend more on higher monitors at the moment.

Last edited:
It won't really make a difference as far as being connected by DVI vs HDMI. The video bandwidth is still pretty much the same between them, the only real difference is HDMI can transmit audio and a network connection on top of video.

It won't really make a difference as far as being connected by DVI vs HDMI. The video bandwidth is still pretty much the same between them, the only real difference is HDMI can transmit audio and a network connection on top of video.

Yea, it was a really trivial concern honestly and I contemplated deleting the comment after I posted it haha. HDMI cables have gotten cheap since the last time I was on the market for one a few years ago. I'm going to have the independent speakers and a headset so I'm not incredibly worried about the GPU putting out audio.

So the 1150 chipset is at the end of the road now, do you feel that it will be decent enough to get a couple of years out of the rig with the games that are coming out at high-max graphics?

Yes. Hardware is so far ahead of software that 5 and 6 year old hardware is still relevant. The 2500K still makes a great chip for a budget gamer if you can find a deal on it. The i5 you picked out will be relevant for a long time.

Yes. Hardware is so far ahead of software that 5 and 6 year old hardware is still relevant. The 2500K still makes a great chip for a budget gamer if you can find a deal on it. The i5 you picked out will be relevant for a long time.

Yea, that's what I ran in my old PC, the 2500K I was a fan of it but I never OC'd it. Maybe I'll build a secondary rig in a few months to mess around with OC.

All right guys, quick question for you, now I don't quite see myself taking full advantage of a 2TB HDD especially with the 120GB SSD absorbing my OS which is really a negligible size when all things are considered, however, these are the options that I'm torn between right now.

WD 1TB: This drive seems to have a much higher review capacity and less reports of DOA or failure after 10-12 months than the other drive being discussed.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236625

Toshiba 2TB: This drive is a 2TB for a very similar price, however it does not include mounting hardware or an eSATA cable to hook the drive to the PSU/MOBO.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149397

Now, with the Toshiba, the extra TB of storage would be nice but I would prefer to buy 1TB of the WD for now and possibly grab a second down the road for another 1TB of dependable storage than having 2TB on 1 drive that could possibly decide not to function after the reported periods of 10-12mos that have been occurring. Also the higher price point on the Toshiba with the requirement of producing my own mounting screws and cabling is another turn-off. What are your overall opinions on the situation?

All drives have a failure rate. Having said that, out of the many drives I've had (all of them being either WD, Seagate or Toshiba), Toshiba drives tend to die much quicker than WD or Seagate. 9/10 times, when someone brings me a computer to fix because "it's really slow" or "it stopped working", and the drive is dying, it's a Toshiba drive. I've replaced the drive in 4 or 5 newer Satellites recently as well, where my girlfriend's WD blue in her Gateway has been fine for 5 years.

Toshiba makes some great stuff, but I can't recommend their drives at all.

All drives have a failure rate. Having said that, out of the many drives I've had (all of them being either WD, Seagate or Toshiba), Toshiba drives tend to die much quicker than WD or Seagate. 9/10 times, when someone brings me a computer to fix because "it's really slow" or "it stopped working", and the drive is dying, it's a Toshiba drive. I've replaced the drive in 4 or 5 newer Satellites recently as well, where my girlfriend's WD blue in her Gateway has been fine for 5 years.

Toshiba makes some great stuff, but I can't recommend their drives at all.

Yea, I thnk that I'm going to go ahead and get the WD drive, I've normally gone with 500GB HDDs in the past and still have no storage space issues, I'm not really one to save very much data at all and much less things that I care about losing.

Yep, and if you sign up for their newsletter, you can get daily deals also.

Yea, I just subscribed, what I'm worried about right now is there is over $180 in sales in my cart right now and as I'll be ordering next Monday if those sales were to come off it would put me over budget but they don't seem to have anything on the products regarding dates of the sale.

I guess I'll just check the cart on Monday and hope for the best haha.

Back