• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey Guys, I'm back for round 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If not, you may get lucky and some of the other stuff in your cart might go on sale and mitigate the loss.

Yea, haha. Worst case is I have to wait a couple of weeks until my next pay period to order the remaining items and I can trim things like the speakers and such to mitigate the loss of items that I don't really -need- at the moment.

Keep in mind there are other places that tend to have better pricing than NewEgg, such as Amazon or BHPhotoVideo. Just keep in mind your options :)

Just don't be one of those people that order something, and when UPS or Fedex botches the delivery, you blame the place you bought it for their "logistics". I am now responding to idiotic reviews on ResellerRatings about Amazon that are 1/5 star because they bought something from the Marketplace instead of "Sold by Amazon.com". Amazon can regulate, but cannot control those third party sellers, stop leaving 1/5 star reviews because you had to wait a month because you wanted to cheap out! And after a package LEAVES Amazon's warehouse, it is the courier who handles logistics at that point, NOT Amazon, stop blaming them -.-

/endrant (If you can't tell, pet peeves are awesome!)

But in all seriousness if prices go up, just check your other options as they may be that original price or cheaper.

Keep in mind there are other places that tend to have better pricing than NewEgg, such as Amazon or BHPhotoVideo. Just keep in mind your options :)

Just don't be one of those people that order something, and when UPS or Fedex botches the delivery, you blame the place you bought it for their "logistics". I am now responding to idiotic reviews on ResellerRatings about Amazon that are 1/5 star because they bought something from the Marketplace instead of "Sold by Amazon.com". Amazon can regulate, but cannot control those third party sellers, stop leaving 1/5 star reviews because you had to wait a month because you wanted to cheap out! And after a package LEAVES Amazon's warehouse, it is the courier who handles logistics at that point, NOT Amazon, stop blaming them -.-

/endrant (If you can't tell, pet peeves are awesome!)

But in all seriousness if prices go up, just check your other options as they may be that original price or cheaper.

I suppose that is true as well, I haven'y quite shopped around in any different possible locations at all at this point, I've essentially just gone to Newegg and made a cart because it worked very well for me last time, I guess I'll shop around a bit and see if there is any huge savings to be had.

www.pcpartpicker.com will allow you to get an idea of other options out there for various parts :)

Make sure to see which rely on mail in rebates too to show their lower price, I personally don't **** with MIR's too much, but I know a lot that rely on them.

www.pcpartpicker.com will allow you to get an idea of other options out there for various parts :)

Make sure to see which rely on mail in rebates too to show their lower price, I personally don't **** with MIR's too much, but I know a lot that rely on them.

I actually just built it on there and I turned off MIR because I'm the same way as you, they are quite a hassle even though there is $100 of them to be found in my current rig which makes it pretty tempting. It came up to about $1482 with a quick glance on PCpartpicker.com but once I'm off this call I'll do a further review.

If you want to take advantage of the MIR's, then go for it, by all means. Just make sure they don't expire next week :p I know that's a bit of an issue with MIR's aside from third parties not honoring them, etc. etc.

If you want to take advantage of the MIR's, then go for it, by all means. Just make sure they don't expire next week :p I know that's a bit of an issue with MIR's aside from third parties not honoring them, etc. etc.

That's what I've heard in the past as well, that MIRs are just a real hassle and if one piece is out of place you can kiss the hope of a rebate goodbye.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Rmw6t6

That's what I have right now on www.PCPartPicker.com, I know for a fact that I won't be able to take advantage of the $40 off on the monitors with the expiration of 08/27 so I'm not even factoring that in.

One of my other reservations with websites like pcpartpicker are playing around with all of those 3rd parties and inputting my payment information into 10 different systems that I'm not familiar with as well.

Well, paycheck cleared early and I submitted the order. The monitors just came under a $20 promotion so that was $40 in savings there which is awesome. I just keep feeling like I'm missing something haha.

I don't see anything missing, but let me tell you something about that headset. I have that headset, and you can't push it very hard with basic onboard sound. The Extreme6 I have has a headphone "preamp" that boosts the front headphone jack, and even that doesn't push it very hard. They are clear as a bell on all volumes that I've heard them on, but the volume is what's lacking. You may want to invest in a little in line headphone amp for that headset.

Hm, all right. I appreciate the heads up. I'll be buying a better one son, the keyboard, mouse, headset, and speakers are all pretty much temporary cheap placeholders.

Round 2 v2.0

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade some components in my build.

Overall, everything is the same aside from I doubled RAM capacity so I'm at 16GB of RAM and I also picked up some peripherals that are irrelevant.

So, my main focus is still just gaming, as always, but I feel like I'm getting to the edge of the effectiveness of mostly the i5-4590.

I'm thinking about upgrading 3 components this year, CPU, MOBO if needed, and GPU. I've already got my mind pretty well set on the new 1070, I just feel for the % increase and cost it's a more effective upgrade for the money than any 1080 would be and I think upgrading every two or so years for GPUs is a good time span for effectiveness while also not making your current purchase useless compared to lower cards for the money.

What I'm curious about now is what would be the most cost effective and also most effective from a % increase per dollar for a CPU primarily and MOBO if necessary.

Thank you in advance.

Honestly, that i5 is still a rocking gamer, and you'll be hard pressed to find a game it can't handle. I would start with the 1070, and throw everything you can at it. If you feel the system is still lacking, then see about upgrading the CPU.

Personally, I always find Amazon's prices to be equal or a little higher than NewEgg. Plus, because I live in the same state that Amazon is located I have to add tax. But with an Amazon Prime account I get things in 2-3 days instead of four like I do with the "Egg saver" economy shipping. And Amazon's return policies are like "no questions asked". Whereas with Egg there are restocking fees on returns that are not due to failure of the product.

I've been finding that I put it push it pretty hard if I'm playing a game and also streaming. Granted, I'm not attempting to go big with streaming or anything, I've got a few friends that like to watch and I hate seeing the processor pushed so hard.

What program and service do you use to stream? I seem to recall something about most programs using GPU encoding to offload most of the task from the CPU. If that's the case, your GPU upgrade should do exactly what you want.

I'm not saying that an i7 wouldn't be a worthwhile upgrade, especially if you want to get into more advanced streaming/video editing and/or encoding. However, unless you can find a good deal on a used 4770/4790(K), you'll either have to spend full retail (or more, depending on your location and availability) on a 3 year old chip, or upgrade your CPU, motherboard and RAM (current platforms are all DDR4). The cheapest 16GB RAM kit currently on Newegg is $100, a basic board will set you back $63, and a 7700 will set you back $315. This is all bottom bin stuff, with exception to the chip. That's $478!

Bottom line, I'm not sure that the performance boost you'd get would justify the cost, but that's your call.

Let me chime in and say this:

I'd hold off on the cpu/mobo upgrade for now. I went from an I5 2500k @ 4.5 ghz to an I7 6700k @ 4.5 ghz and didn't notice any real improvement for gaming. If gaming is the reason you want to upgrade, your money is better spent elsewhere. Your current chip is a bit of a step up from that, so the difference will be even less.

I do recommend buying another SSD though. A Samsung 850 evo 500 gig to supplement your 250 gig.

In 2 years or so, multi-threading is going to be far more important for gaming. This is when I say upgrade your cpu/mobo/ram/PSU(as your current one would be almost 5 years old then). When we get there, We can go over what to get.

As for streaming; I JUST got into it myself, and am able to stream 1080P @ 60 fps to twitch without issue with the AMD card encoder. It barely impacts the performance of the game(turned off vsync, and tested fps loss. It was 3-8 fps loss), and leaves the cpu alone. Nvidia 1070 has one as well that performs at the same level, and the 1070 has more power than my rx 480. I can help you set up your streaming settings once you get your new video card, as I've done some pretty extensive research on it.

Last edited:
Let me chime in and say this:

I'd hold off on the cpu/mobo upgrade for now. I went from an I5 2500k @ 4.5 ghz to an I7 6700k @ 4.5 ghz and didn't notice any real improvement for gaming. If gaming is the reason you want to upgrade, your money is better spent elsewhere. Your current chip is a bit of a step up from that, so the difference will be even less.

I do recommend buying another SSD though. A Samsung 850 evo 500 gig to supplement your 250 gig.

In 2 years or so, multi-threading is going to be far more important for gaming. This is when I say upgrade your cpu/mobo/ram/PSU(as your current one would be almost 5 years old then). When we get there, We can go over what to get.

As for streaming; I JUST got into it myself, and am able to stream 1080P @ 60 fps to twitch without issue with the AMD card encoder. It barely impacts the performance of the game(turned off vsync, and tested fps loss. It was 3-8 fps loss), and leaves the cpu alone. Nvidia 1070 has one as well that performs at the same level, and the 1070 has more power than my rx 480. I can help you set up your streaming settings once you get your new video card, as I've done some pretty extensive research on it.

I second the SSD upgrade, though if you can, I'd wait until fall/winter for that, as storage prices are expected to come down around then (right now it's way higher than this time last year).

Back