• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time watercooling for my Skylake Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Siamak8286

Registered
Hello guys, I'm starting to build a new Skylake system and have few Watercooling questions:

System:
MB: Asus Maximus VIII Z170 Hero
CPU: Intel i7 6700K
GPU: Single MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
Case: NZXT H440

Now as you can see I will only ever gonna use single GPU. I will never Overclock my GPU and the only reason I'm currently considering custom loop ( First Time, Never done it before ) is to have a quite and cool GPU.

1. Will the D5 Vario pump from EK be as quite or quieter than corsair H105?

2. If you were in my shoes, since I will never OC my GPU, is it worth it to go with custom loop for quite and cool system, since MSI 980 Ti usually reaches around 78-79c while playing Witcher 3.

3. Bellow is my shopping kart, besides Fans ( SP 120 ) and Distilled water + Primochill's Liquid Utopia is there anything else that I would need?

n3rd2.png.jpg

1. I'm not sure about noise comparison as I've never heard the corsair, but the D5 is a great quiet running pump.

2. If you're already building a custom loop for your CPU, and you're interested in bringing your GPU temps and noise down it's definitely worth the extra ~100 dollars to add your gpu into the loop.

3. a GPU waterblock.

Liquid Utopia? Is that a dye etc?

Only use distilled water and a biocide/silver coil. Only.....

Thats just Biocide, I will for sure only ever use distilled water and since I will be using distilled water, how often do i have to do maintenance? and when I do, do I have to take the entire thing apart? or just change the liquid?

Every 6 months drain and refill. Every year full teardown. That's in the watercooling bible, but some sin and go longer.

Me in fact years ago....

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...-Hmm-I-guess-I-need-to-tell-you-a-dark-secret

There is better easier stuff than the Utopia I think. Where are you buying from? Let me know and I'll see what they have there.

Petras PHN Nuke or a killcoil would be my choice.

Im buying from Performance-pcs, also I have a question. the only reason I'm building everything from scratch is that I wanna buy the EK D5 Vario pump since I've been told thats the quietest yet best performing pump. All I want is to have a quite yet cool system with no pump rattle, noise, buzz, etc... as thats the reason I'm leaving CLC AIO coolers. I just found this kit ( https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-kit-l360-r2-0 ) which is only $250 and comes with everything but the pump doesn't seem good to me but then again im not a pro in watercooling. what do you think? will that be a good kit to cool my CPU and 1 GPU and also run silent?

Added: If you really get the bug you will replace the pump etc, then go full custom. If you build it and don't like to play with your PC all the time, get the kit and add to it. It's perfectly serviceable with a few more parts like adjustable angle fittings, maybe better hose. And Don't use the EK liquid.

The D5 is nice, the pump that's the bomb is the MCP50X. Extremely awesome head pressure and PWM controlled. I had the MCP35B, I ran it off the CPU header for RPM and I think I ran at high temps like 60% power, I needed no more RPM. It was SILENT. And the 50X is better even.

These pumps are smaller than the D5, toss on the available integrated Swiftech res, it's the way to go. You haven't held a D5 in your hands yet, it's not small.

In my build logs etc you can see the 35x in my loop.

And consider Sidewinders for your parts. Cheaper.

Last edited:
D5s are the quieter from DDCs (MCP35x/50x). So if you're looking to keep it quiet, grab the D5 and have it at a low setting (2 or 3). Make sure to grab some low FPI rads with some premium rad fans that are run under 1,000 RPM if you want the ultimate quiet system at load.

Before you go on, I'd make sure that case can fit as much rad as possible, let alone the whole loop nicely tucked in. Do some researches of said case with custom watercooling.

The ultimate question is, If I go full custom watercooling, will the pump and system be quieter than AIO coolers? if not I have the option to buy 2 AIO coolers and get the Kraken G10 for my video card. please advise...

Yes it will be quieter because you'll get too much radiator (120x5), run fans at 900 RPM, and run a D5 on top of a piece of mounting foam. If your PC is 2 feet from your monitor, nothing will make it silent.

Yes it will be quieter because you'll get too much radiator (120x5), run fans at 900 RPM, and run a D5 on top of a piece of mounting foam. If your PC is 2 feet from your monitor, nothing will make it silent.

Yea I already got some SP120 Quite edition fans and I'm perfectly fine with the noise level of low fans ( Yes my PC is right next to me on my desk ), I just can not stand the contant buzzz of the AIO pumps that comes with some corsair units. thus why I'm investing 4 times more and building a custom loop from scratch. so based on your experience I shouldn't have issue with pump noise of the D5 if I run it at around speed 2/5? sorry I have already placed the order of all my EK parts and since it's first time investing as much as my CPU+MB on just watercooling parts I can't help but keep thinking about it.

I have a habit of taking my computer to the garage every month and use the air compressor to dust it and clean it, with full custom loop, is it safe to lift it up and move it to a short distance every month?

Thanks I will, OCD is a horrible thing lol, I also got a confirmation that they will ship all parts early next week and they already charged my account, this is gonna be exciting since it's first time ever doing my very own custom loop and very nervous at the same time...

I have a habit of taking my computer to the garage every month and use the air compressor to dust it and clean it, with full custom loop, is it safe to lift it up and move it to a short distance every month?

Actually I was just thinking. Why not just remove the filters from the case instead of moving the whole rig around. I do the same with mine say every 4-6 months tops. That way you won't have to worry about it as much. Also, keep the rig above the floor level. I like to keep mine on top of the desk. Dust can impede in the cooling performance once the fins on the rads are covered in dust.

Case: NZXT H440 Filters
Front Side(Included)
Bottom Front (Included)
Bottom Rear(Included)

Back