• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drive caddy DIP switch, what does it do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From the reviews, no one knows:

TERRIBLE DOCUMENTATION: There's some kind of DIP switch next to the SATA connectors on the inside. Guess what? There's absolutely zero information on what the hell this switch does.

Cons: every time I rebooted or shut down it would just hang after the shutdown screen with a black screen but with the power light on. Thanks to other reviewers, found the problem was also that switch that I didn't even notice during installation needed to be moved to the center of the caddy. No shut down hang up anymore, thanks!

I initially thought it might be a read-only switch, but it could be just about anything.

But sata drives don't use the master/slave designation. If that caddy holds ide drives, I could believe it.

Not sure where the post went, but I got an email reply of someone saying it might be for changing between Master/Slave/CableSelect modes. That's actually reasonable.
It is actually not reasonable. As Joe stated, SATA does not have master/slave configurations at all. They are clueless.

Cheap Chinese electronics. :shrug:

The bottom line is that they took a reference design that they didn't understand and copied it. It happens a lot over there.

As long as it works...

Back