• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dimm Slot Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

Hey all,
My 2 sticks of ram only work in mismatched Dim Slots. Example:

DDR4 Black Slot
DDR2 Orange Slot
DDR3 Black Slot Mushkin Blackline 4 Gigs
DDR1 Orange Slot Mushkin Blackline 4 Gigs

I picked up some new ram thinking maybe the Mushkin was not playing nice w/ my mobo: 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance

Same issue it only works in the two mismatched slots above.

• Bios is not automatically recognizing The ram in the correct slots
  • What Bios setting could I change to correct this?
  • The Bios was flashed recently (spring time)
  • The mobo is Gigabyte Z87X-OC

Thanks

Last edited:
If memory is good but is not working only in 2/4 slots, then it can be motherboard's fault. I actually made RMA for GB Z87X-OC and Z97X-SOC because of problems with memory and in both cases support fixed something ( they didn't say what ). Often there is CPU socket issue which is causing bad contact and memory controller is losing memory slots/channels. The same I had on ASUS MVG and then support replaced all CPU socket.

Thanks Woomack. That would explain a lot, when I first got the board and cpu, a pin was bent on the cpu (my fault), I straightened it and the system worked...except for the memory. I might hazard a guess that's the cause based on what you said.

The PC works fine otherwise
  • How handicapped is my ram if they are not in the correct slots?
  • Am still getting dual channel even though one is seated in the Black Dimm and the other in the Orange?

The only difference will be in memory speed as it's probably working in single channel. Hard to say if you will really see it in games etc. You can check if it's working in dual channel in CPU-Z or other soft but probably motherboard's BIOS has that info too ( just don't remember where except post screen which is hard to read ).
You can probably make RMA if board has no visible damage.

Back