• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCIe Risers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chuckerants

Are there any better quality risers then others? Reading the reviews on Amazon is kinda scary. I'm already thinking of my next GTX 970 and I'm wondering where will actaully place the 2nd 970 should I use the riser. Do yo guys have any pics of where you placed your multiple cards?

TIA

Btw, that system is down to 4 cards folding. I lost two due to fan failures, and my ghetto cooling solution wasn't working that well.

Also, they are all 1x to 16x risers in the photos. With what HayesK said about the 970s losing some production on 4x slots, I'm wondering if I'm going to have to switch to 16x to 16x risers.

chuckerants asked for some more pictures of the benching station in pm. So here they are.

I apologize for the extreme mess in my garage.

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

I have I believe 4-6 PCI-E risers (1x-16x USB3) if you're interested, I used them when I was mining a year or so ago. Let me know and I'll post up an official classified ad to make it legitimate if anyone cares. Shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

torin3 I love it, all the airflow you want and can conrol it any way you like!!!!!

just curious what sort of heat 2-3 970s gives off at around 50% fan speed? my single at 970gtx strix @ 60% fan speed is running at 64c lol

when you see all the pics, and do some reading it looks pretty easy, the issue is the spacing to let the things breath, that's for two or three cards, now you get into 4 or more and it's a cow of another zebra stripe.
I was going to give it a go but the space needed for a 2 motherboard, 6 or 8 card rig shot it down.
you need a psu to power it just let me know, I have an evga 1600 p2 sitting here, it's a review sample from oklahoma wolf that I bought to power the thing.

I think a ws board would be used over an oc board, but others know much more than I do about that.

The OC MB from Newegg is only $138. Can't beat that for 4 PCIe slots.

possible bandwith issues with the newer cards and the slower slots. info below from the article:

3 x PCIe 3.0 (x16, x8/x8 or x8/x4/x4)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x4 (shares bandwidth with PCIEX1)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x1

There is also the potential of four-way CrossFire, with an x8/x4/x4 + x4 PCIe lane layout. Here GIGABYTE is using PCIe 3.0 x8/x4/x4 from the CPU and PCIe 2.0 x4 from the PCH. This means four-way CrossFire, but due to SLI limitations requiring x8 lanes per card, only two way SLI.

Back