• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Excellent Signal, Trash Internetq

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd try a different dedicated router. Modem/router combos are notoriously awful, so you don't have a fair comparison there.

I'd try a different dedicated router. Modem/router combos are notoriously awful, so you don't have a fair comparison there.

I'm not using that, I'm using a Netgear R6250 Dual-band 802.11ac router. It is right next to the modem, I should look into whether that wifi can be turned off

What are your internal transfer speeds like? Copying a file from one computer to another of a decent size?

What are your internal transfer speeds like? Copying a file from one computer to another of a decent size?
Just transferred some music from phone to pc to check. .07Mbps lol
download wifi analyzer for your phone and see how many other networks are interfering with yours
Already did, on 2.4GHz there's lots of overlapping but it is alone on channel 4. It's clean on 5GHz, no overlapping at all.

No QoS or otherwise firewall settings are turned on on the router I presume?

I also assume you get terrible transfer speeds with the PC on wireless transferring to/from the one (obviously on wireless itself)?

Try disabling the 2.4GHz radio, maybe it will help alleviate things.

Nope no firewall on router. I have Avast! Free on phone and pc but roommates have issues too, so that's not an issue.

I can't disable 2.4 because my pc doesn't pick up 5

You may have to buy a dongle that has 5ghz support. The 2.4 ghz frequency is completely saturated. Not only are the devices in your home fight for that frequency, but so are your neighbors devices.

I'm not using that, I'm using a Netgear R6250 Dual-band 802.11ac router. It is right next to the modem, I should look into whether that wifi can be turned off

I suggested earlier that you try a different router, and you said that you also tried with your modem/router combo.. that's what I was referring to. Try a different router other than your R6250 and your modem/router combo. Also, if your modem/router combo still has wifi enabled and you aren't using it, absolutely disable it.

Tried to disable modem's wifi, I have to have customer service do it remotely. She did it, it still sucked, did a hard reset, and now it's back on.

I moved some stuff around and did a bunch of restarts. Now the 5GHz is fantastic, just tested with an average of 81Mbps and 2.4 is now up to a blistering 2.5Mbps! Looks like I'm gonna have to pull my mobo out, find the serial, RMA that, then get the ac adapter I bought in there. Awesome.

Thanks guys, you did what you could. There's not a lot more I can do other than new hardware.

Your motherboard is not the problem, nor is your AC adapter. If all devices (your desktop, laptop, phone, roommates' devices) experience similar issues, it's 100% an issue with your
a) router
b) modem
c) modem/router combo
d) physical environment

Not sure why you are inclined to RMA your motherboard because of this..

I know. The 2.4GHz band is just way too populated. I'm in an apartment building and every apartment has their own wifi. The 5GHz band only has 2 or 3 other networks, so I can find a channel that completely isolates ours. I've proven this with speedtests taken in the same spot one after another; 5GHz resulted in great speeds of 75+Mbps while 2.4GHz only peaks around 5Mbps.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned that I had a nicer PCI-e 802.11ac adapter, but when I installed it I learned that EVERY PCI slot except the one housing my video card was busted. They give power but nothing plugged into them is detected by Windows.

I know. The 2.4GHz band is just way too populated. I'm in an apartment building and every apartment has their own wifi. The 5GHz band only has 2 or 3 other networks, so I can find a channel that completely isolates ours. I've proven this with speedtests taken in the same spot one after another; 5GHz resulted in great speeds of 75+Mbps while 2.4GHz only peaks around 5Mbps.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned that I had a nicer PCI-e 802.11ac adapter, but when I installed it I learned that EVERY PCI slot except the one housing my video card was busted. They give power but nothing plugged into them is detected by Windows.

Ah, so two separate issues then. Sorry, I misunderstood you to mean that you were RMA'ing your motherboard because of your crappy speeds. :)

No problem at all. I might just deal with this until I can pull together the money to switch to Intel

Make a direct connection between your modem and computer, and log into the modem. You can disable the wireless that way.

Back