• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 970 SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When I payed for a new monitor and a 970 and had the same performance my 7970 had (@ 1680 × 1050) though at higher resolution I wasn't happy and 980ti's weren't out yet. I don't like having to turn down settings on brand new hardware, a year or two down the road doesn't bug me as much

1680x1050 = 1.764M pixels
2560x1440 = 3.686M pixels

You more than doubled your resolution and a 970 is not even double the performance of a 7970. I wouldn't have expected to be able to play at the same settings, let alone increase them.

We don't have to 'deal with it' Blue. This is really up to you since the price is the same.

My tips for SLI... only use it if you need it. With a 970, you should be fine at 2560x1440 even.

I have to disagree with this. I have 3 2k monitors being run with 2 Asus 980ti strix and its pushes the GPUs really hard and they get very hot. When i run 1 card with the 2k monitor frame rates are decent by my standards. I really dont think a 970 will sufficiently power a 2k monitor at frame rates any higher than 20- 40 fps. You may be disappointed.

We are talking 1920x1080 (1080p). 2K is slightly different... slightly (and yes, I am being pedantic, LOL).

Here is a review for you. As you should be able to tell, there is one title under 30 FPS and its name is Crysis 3. Hardly the rule... There are 3 titles in the 30s to almost 40, while the rest are WAY above that. All with the highest settings and AA. So, I see your opinion disagreement and raise you with facts. As was said earlier, there may be a title or two that one would want to lower some settings, but otherwise, its a solid card at 2560x1440.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/6.html

You may be one of those users that prefer a gaming experience above 60 FPS though... not sure. But clearly the FPS are there in most titles. Feel free to look up more reviews to confirm. ;)

I have to disagree with this. I have 3 2k monitors being run with 2 Asus 980ti strix and its pushes the GPUs really hard and they get very hot. When i run 1 card with the 2k monitor frame rates are decent by my standards. I really dont think a 970 will sufficiently power a 2k monitor at frame rates any higher than 20- 40 fps. You may be disappointed.

Is 2k == 1440P?

If so, you're just flat out wrong. I have a 970 and a 1440P display and my FPS is never that low in games which don't begin with "Arma" (full disclosure: I don't play Crysis)

2K is a weird resolution...2048x1080 or 1998x1080. Not the standard 1920x1080. While it wont make much of a difference in the scope of this conversation, 1920x1080 is NOT 2K.

2K is a weird resolution...2048x1080 or 1998x1080. Not the standard 1920x1080. While it wont make much of a difference in the scope of this conversation, 1920x1080 is NOT 2K.

Yuck! lol

Yes, a 970 is plenty powerful enough to drive any game at that resolution.

Sorry guys but i disagree. My opinions are based on experience with a 980ti's so its first hand experience on how demanding 1440 @144hz is. You have fun with your 970 for the next 3 months until directx 12 games start rolling out. Cheers!

You can continue to disagree, you would continue to be wrong, but, did you read the link I posted?

I mean, if you are NOW adding caveats like playing on and require 144 FPS, of course it won't handle it... but you didn't say that before, and the OP here doesn't require it in the first place...

As far as DX12 games in the next three months... We have what, two? Three? There really won't be that many out even in the next year. It, like all API changes, take some time to really saturate the market like you are alluding to.

Last edited:
I have already purchased and installed my second 970 Twin Frozr regular. I love it as long as I can keep it using under 3.5gb

I missed this post haha

How are they performing and what resolution are you running?

Sorry guys but i disagree. My opinions are based on experience with a 980ti's so its first hand experience on how demanding 1440 @144hz is. You have fun with your 970 for the next 3 months until directx 12 games start rolling out. Cheers!

lol

No one's talking about 980TIs or 144Hz, so you're first hand experience is irrelevant. This thread seems wrapped up, so I'll get back to my peasant life of gaming with exactly the hardware I need (GTX 970) for my resolution (1440P). Thank you for taking a break from bathing in gold in your Lamborghini-filled mansion, hits, to let us know your system is overkill. :thup:

Can't tell if troll or stupid

Back