• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking i7 5820K with a Noctua NH-D15 dual fan setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oldfatman92

Hello all,

I need your opinions in regards to the temperature my system is running on my overclocked i7 5820K + Noctua NH-D15 dual fan setup. I will list the specs for complete picture.

Ambient Temperature: 85ºF or 29.444°C

Idle CPU Temperature: lowest core - 31°C, highest core 36°C

Max 100% Usage Temperature (Stress testing with AIDA64 and Intel Extreme Tuning Utility): 71°C

CPU: i7 5820K 4.2 ghz @1.17v (Handbrake x264 transcoding gave me a BSOD @1.15v)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 dual fan setup

Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7

GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC ACX 2.0 (overclocked without increasing voltage)

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2400 mhz {1.2v XMP enabled)

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W Gold 80+

Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl w/Window

Case Fans: 2x front (Thermaltake Riing 14 High Static Pressure Fan), 2x top (Rosewill 140mm Red LED Fan), 1x bottom (Thermaltake Riing 12 High Static Pressure Fan), 1x rear (Rosewill 120mm Red LED Fan)

When I use Intel Burn Test at Very High setting, cpu temp rises up to 78°C and I get similar temps for Prime95. Are Haswell chips supposed to hit these high temps when using IBT and Prime95 or is there something wrong with my system?

Thanks in advance. :)

Yeap ambient is a killer. Up here in CT I just wait for winter and open a window to bench. Get a big enough fan and you can beat just about anything. A heatpipe setup extracts heat really well. Its getting that heat out of the pipes that is hard. Even if you cooled to ambient to 70 degrees you will see a big drop. At 0, well, you can imagine.

Actually, unless that IBT (front end for Linpack) is running with AVX2, you are not maxing it out. When I reviewed the D15 my ambients were 19-22c. But if you check my net temps and add 30c to them, you will see that your temps are fine.

BTW -- I set my VID to 1.19v, and Vcore = 1.212v.

Time for a more powerful fan? In my experience, one good fan easily beats two stacked cheaper fans as few PC heatsinks are sufficiently restrictive to benefit from stacking fans. Even with very restrictive 1U rack server heatsinks, about the only real reason they stack fans is for redundancy.

How do you set VID? VID is the stock voltage and it reads that off the cpu.

I'm using the wrong term, then.

When you set the Vcore in the BIOS, you get a higher Vcore in the wild (CPU sensor). Those are two different numbers.

When you set different Vcores in BIOS, OCCT shows different VID's, and those VID's correspond to the Vcore set in BIOS. The Vcore reading from the CPU sensor is higher. This leads to conflating Vcore-in-BIOS with VID. Makes sense to me, but you are saying that is incorrect.

OK, then. How does one distinguish between the Vcore set in BIOS and the Vcore read from the CPU sensor itself?

Here is how I think about it.

VID = stock voltage. Think bios reset, boot to windows, open cpuz, idle.

Vdrop/vraise = difference between voltage MANUALLY set in bios vs idle in windows. Typically only droop unless you use llc then it can raise above VID.

Vdroop/vraise = difference between idle and load voltages in windows. Droop if it's 'droops' when loaded, vraise I use when you put llc on and load voltage goes up.

VID is only one value though, stock voltage. Vcore can also be vid but is the proper name for core voltage. In other words, anything you set manually above and below VID should not be called VID (vcore) as VID is stock voltage.

Hopefully that was understandable, lol

Last edited:
Here is how I think about it.

VID = stock voltage. Think bios reset, boot to windows, open cpuz, idle.

Vdrop/vraise = difference between voltage MANUALLY set in bios vs idle in windows. Typically only droop unless you use llc then it can raise above VID.

Vdroop/vraise = difference between idle and load voltages in windows. Droop if it's 'droops' when loaded, vraise I use when you put llc on and load voltage goes up.

VID is only one value though, stock voltage. Vcore can also be vid but is the proper name for core voltage. In other words, anything you set manually above and below VID should not be called VID (vcore) as VID is stock voltage.

Hopefully that was understandable, lol

It's understandable, but it puts me back to "Vcore set to x, Vcore-actual = y." None of my corrected me.

Back