• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Direct peltier setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tornadomaniac

Ok going to try something new I bought a 12710 peltier and want to know thoughts on cold side to cpu and hot side cooled with a CM seidon 120 with this be adequate cooling of the hot side. I don't want the hot side to cool as it would defeat the purpose of a tec warmer hot side equals colder cold side
Am I wrong input would be helpful
Mb msi x58m
Cpu Intel 920 @ 4002.38mhz
Ram ballistix 24gb
Intel ssd 120gb

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg image.jpg

Yes. Hot side has not enough cooler. You need to at least double your rad surface area.

How would it do with rad area I have now think it would get sub ambient on cold side

How would it do with rad area I have now think it would get sub ambient on cold side
Not possible. You need more rad.
Yes, it would get sub ambient, until you load the CPU, and.........until the TEC melted down from lack of cooling. A single 120mm rad will cool roughly 100w. You need to effectively cool the TEC's wattage PLUS the CPU's wattage PLUS a little cushion. You do the math.

EDIT- You would get better results just throwing your rad in a bucket of ice water.

Last edited:
What if I went route of cooling the rad with it and a good air cooler on hot side ?

What if I went route of cooling the rad with it and a good air cooler on hot side ?
You'll never see sub ambient. Maybe a couple degrees cooler than you have with just the AIO alone.
A TEC is just not that efficient.
If you wanted to mess with that TEC, you would be better off with the TEC direct on the CPU and a really good air cooler on the hot side. You'll still only see sub ambient at idle but your load temp will be cooler than just your AIO......and that would be pending what you're doing with the rig.

If you go this route, remember, the air cooler has to be able to cool 200-300w.

If I am looking at the right peltier it is a 40mm x 40mm 154w 10a, which means you cannot power it with the computers molex cabeling, if you do, you risk melting the insulation right off the wiring, molex cabeling is 18g wire and is not designed to support a constant 10a load, like a peltier draws.

For that matter if your power supply is not a single 12v rail you'll probably blow it.

Mr.Scott is 100% correct in his warning of the 120 rad not being enough, but I would like to add that you have to be sure you fully cover the hot side of the peltier, because if you leave a portion of hot side uncovered and unprotected it will burn out on you, and probably take your CPU with it.

I suggest you cease and desist immediately and educate yourself on what you are getting into before proceeding.

Basically, peltier cooling of a modern CPU has gone the way of the dodo bird. It's not that it can't be done, but only those with lots of money to burn and no care about having a terribly inefficient setup would even bother with it.

If you are serious about running a TEC then you'll need to determine how much heat (Watts) your CPU is out putting at full load. using that information you can begin your TEC selection. If you have a few hundred bucks to put into this endeavor then go for it. If not, then stick with water cooling.

I'm in the process of setting up a direct TEC. I'm going this route because I want to take my CPU down to 0c whilst leaving the other water cooled system components above ambient. Cost for me is negligible as I only have to spring for the TEC, insulation, and water block. I have a geothermal cooled system so the added heat-load is of no concern either. Granted there will be an energy cost (15v/22a) but it will be less than a water chiller A/C unit (120v/10a)

Back