• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

northbridge temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I have a board with a really, really hot north bridge, how can I settle it down?

gigebyte 890xa-ud3, rev 1.0
amd 965
8 gigs 1333, cl9, 4x 2 gig sticks
nb voltage 1.20
I have a fan cooling the nb now, would like to get it down to where it will run passive.

the heatsink scares my fingers, it has scorched the paint on the motherboard tray.

E-D I think it's going to need a deep cool active cooler.

Last edited:
Its that hot and you want to go passive???? :shrug:

Perhaps use 2x8gb instead of 4x4GB would help? Lower voltage (if possible). Lower memory speed and overclock?

it's at 1333, cl9, 1.5v mem, 1.2v n/b, 4, 2 gig sticks.
yes, right now I am actively cooling it but I can hear that fan and that's a no no for an htpc.

Ok... let us know if you can lower the NB voltage? Are power saving features enabled? Why, for an HTPC, do you have 8GB in the first place? Try going back to 2x2GB which is less stress on the NB (which may allow you to lower your NB voltage).

I'll try that when I get back home, why 8 gigs? that's what I had laying around.
I don't run no power saving features, our plants need more co2 to grow.

Well, logic dictates that if you enable power saving features it will use less power and put out less heat when idle...

Go 2x2GB as well as enabling power savings and lowering/eliminating your overclock if any.

Isn't 1.2 NB V only needed when you push your OC?
Surely you won't need that for an HTPC caddi ;)

Mine's not even that hot.... something isn't right here.

Good call. No idea what the stock voltage is. Maybe because he is 4x2GB he needs more for stability? No idea. Not an AMD guy.

Since it is an older board CD maybe the suggestion ED mentioned about replacing the TIM may help. If you're not overclocking see if you can drop the Cpu Nb volts and get a quieter fan to blow on the Nb heatsink.

I pulled out 4 gigs of the 1333, still roasting.
intsalled 8 gigs, 2, 4 gig sticks of 1600, 10, 10, 10 ram, still roasting.
the lowest this board will let me set the nb voltage is 1.15, still roasting.
will try to re tim the heatsink tonight.

If the heatsink is what's roasting then the TIM is doing it's job. I would upgrade the Heatsink to something that can disipate the heat more efficiently. I've used these on a few of my older MSI builds as they're known for hot NB's. I can dig up the old thread and find out what the results were if you like, but I know it helped quite a bit.

DeepCool (or Logisys now?) NBRIDGE8
nb8.jpg

that's what I mentioned in a post further back.
it looks like gigabyte is shooting 100%, every board I have used from them is a piece of crap and I go out and buy an asus.

soooooooo, how do you release these chessy plastic retainers on the nb heatsink?

that's what I mentioned in a post further back.
it looks like gigabyte is shooting 100%, every board I have used from them is a piece of crap and I go out and buy an asus.

Board still works though right? It's not total crap! :D

yea, the board all works, the nb is just on fire.
I pulled the board, retimed the nb and the sb while i had it out.
just fired it up.
man, those nb and sb chips are tiny!!!!!

re tim helped, I can now hold my finger on the heatsink while running a little memtest.
I would guess 25 degrees or so.

Back