• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice for permanent Case upgrade for future build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RxL

Registered
hey guys so im looking to upgrade my case for the last time since im going to be rebuilding my pc once again just after christmas and i have been looking at the Corsair Obsidium 900D for sometime now and im thinking on buying this behemoth of a case baring in mind that this computer will be air cooled just for now until after christmas when i will be rebuilding and doing a full custom water loop for my build but i wanting to know if it is even worth purchasing since it is quite costly for a case does anyone have recommendation on this case?

900D is a solid case... worth it however, is up to you, your needs, and wallet.

What do you mean 'recommendations on this case'?

900D is a solid case... worth it however, is up to you, your needs, and wallet.

What do you mean 'recommendations on this case'?

what i meant to say or how i was ment to put it is does anyone have one of these and do you recommend it over other cases .. sorry for the bad way of putting it

Do not have one of them, however I did do a lot of research on this case, very solid from everything i have read and great reviews coming from owners.
However I ultimately went with a Caselabs product

yea ive also been doing alot of research on the case watched alot of different reviews on youtube also and im being drawn to this case maybe its because i think bigger is better or maybe i just like the case from what different kind of hardware it can hold

the 900D is a big boy... It might help to see one in person to see how ridiculously large it actually is! The 750D is pretty damn big too, and is half the cost but the same quality and plenty plenty plenty of room for everything you are looking to do. 900D is super niche with those that actually use it, and even then still seems too big in some cases.

I almost went with the 900D myself. Man, $300 is a lot for a case. I'll give you a general idea as to what persuaded me to step down:

Firstly, $300 for a case. Stepping down to the half-as-expensive 750D gives you much more money to use towards the computer itself. $150 can be a monitor, better GPU, dual GPUs or more storage. It is also the difference of an i7 versus an i5 with $50 left to spend.

Secondly, check out the dimensions of the 900D: 25.60" x 9.90" x 27.20" as listed by Newegg. That is just huge. The 750D is 22.00" x 9.25" x 21.50" as listed by Newegg, a full 3.6" shallower and 5.7" shorter while still coming in pretty close width wise at only .65" skinnier.

Thirdly, check out some of the builds in a 900D. That case is really designed to fully contain a show rig with quad watercooled GPUs, plus CPU, power delivery and RAM with tons of radiators and such. If you're running less than that, you don't need it. I intend to watercool my CPU and GPUs next year, and the 750D will hold all of it perfectly at half the cost.

The 900D is a great case, but it'll really only benefit people who build a ridiculous system in it. For a daily gamer, you can spend much less for the same results.

yea i know what you mean but as ive been doing some research on the case its made me think harder to get one as from now until Christmas i will be getting a new gpu EVGA 980 ti Superclocked+ acx 2.0+ aswell as a new 144hz monitor and a modular psu and soon as Christmas and new year has been and gone i will be slapping more money into this rig with a possible themed custom water cooling loop as well as changing mobo and cpu for intel as i have got big plans for a big case maybe the case might be a little too big but always better to have more space than have no space to work with

also if did purchase a case that aint the 900D i might just keep thinking about buys the 900D and regret not getting one when i had the chance to get it

I bought the 750D instead of the 900D, and let me tell you, I have no buyer's remorse what-so-ever. The 750D is the easiest case that I have ever built in. It has a ton of room, fully modular HDD cages plus 4 mounting brackets for 2.5" drives next to the motherboard tray, mounting for 8 120/140mm fans, enough space for a 120.3/140.3 rad on top, 120.2/140.2 in front and on the bottom, and 120.1/140.1 in the rear (that's 120.8/140.8 rad surface), and all except for the bottom intake and rear exhaust come with removable dust filters.

That's a pretty impressive list of features, and that's not even the half of it. Tons of wire management room, grommetted (real word?) cable pass through openings and a huge side window add to the list as well.

As always, it's your money, so buy what you want. But, you wouldn't have asked the question unless you weren't sure about it, and you don't want to spend $300 on something you aren't sure of, do you?

Back