• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oc'ing low voltage memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueknight1960

Registered
This is the memory kit I have---G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2. How do I go about oc'ing this memory? I have never oc'ed memory and don't have a clue. I have my i-5 4690k oc'ed to 4.6,would I need to lower the cpu oc before oc'ing the memory? I would like to oc the memory to 1800. Also what are the advantages of oc'ing the memory and is it worth it?

Same way you do with any other memory...low voltage doesn't matter.

That said, there is little point to overclocking it performance wise, but for giggles, its a tweakers dream. That said, I will leave that to the experts to assist.

I would start by lowering the timings at your current speed. I have a set of eco that use PSC which I think those do and it runs at 7-8-7-24 1.5v

I tried to change the setting like you suggested, no go. Wouldn't even boot into bios.

That 1.25V sniper memory is based on newer IC designed to work at 1.35V so usually 1600 11-11-11 1.35V. It's able to work at lower voltage so G.Skill set them to 1.25V but you won't set much tighter timings. However you can set much higher clock raising voltage to 1.5V+. Most of these kits should work @2133+.

Well I've tried the suggestions here and it doesn't work for me,so I'll leave them at stock.But I am thinking of getting this memory-G.SKILL TridentX Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-16GTX. Thanks for the replies.

You won't notice a difference. I bought that same set going from 1600 9-9-9-24 and honestly I couldn't tell you which was which if I didn't know. I only got them for benching purposes and got them I'm trade for something I didn't need

I was planning on going to 16gb of ram and after reading some replies from Gskill employees/tech,Buying another set like I have is not guaranteed to work with the one's I have because it is not a matched set. So do I take the chance and hope it works or just buy another matched set?

It was more of a want than a need. But I'll think about it some more. Thanks for the replies.

Back