• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Factory Unlocked VS Carrier S6 Edge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Murgy91

Registered
Hey everyone,

I tried to search for this information but it brought up little results.

Im upgrading from iPhone 5s, Im just Tired of apples limited OS. So I decided to go android and get a S6 Edge, currently I'm with Vodafone but their customer service is beyond a joke 4 days I've been waiting for upgrade information when I was told it would be less than 2, I tried getting in touch with them today only to be passed pillar to post for an upgrade! You'd think they would want to keep new customers, I wasn't even asking for discount just a price!

Im going to go with Three as the Feel at home service they provide is perfect for me, (UK Phone Providers FYI). Is there any difference between a factory unlocked and carrier phone? Besides the extra stuff they put on? Any major advantages for the Factory unlocked?
If you could let me know.

Thanks

As far as I know, not really. Check the carrier's signal type (CDMA/GSM/LTE) and make sure your proposed phone is compatible with your chosen network. It's probably different in the UK vs. the US though. As long as the phone operates properly in the bands needed for the carrier, it doesn't matter which one you get.

Last edited:
No difference at all if you use a single carrier. Quite literally the only difference is the ability to switch carriers on t he same phone. Ask them, they might even unlock the phone when your contract runs out.

Avoiding all the bloatware is a major advantage, as there are still some carriers that haven't figured out that lots of non-uninstallable junk does nothing but **** off their customers. You might also get software updates more quickly since you don't have to wait for the carrier to make their custom junkware image.

Back