• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG CANIS MAJORIS (modded Tt Core X9) - Thermaltake CaseMOD Invitational S2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alexciobanu

Bpuf6ll.jpg

aqnLash.png

Hey guys and welcome to my build log for the Thermaltake CaseMOD Invitational Season 2.

So honored and excited to participate in this along such great modders who have inspired me from the start!

Thanks a lot to Thermaltake for selecting me to represent Australia and also a huge thanks to all the sponsors of this project which are of course Thermaltake along with premium partner Newegg and also Avexir, PerformancePCs, MNPCTECH, Icemodz and Ramcity. Without all of you all this would not have been possible, thank you!

You can find more info about the CaseMOD Invitational here: http://casemod2015.thermaltake.com/season2/home.html

Lets have fun with this one and hope you guys enjoy the ride.

SPECS

Case – Two modded Thermaltake Core X9s
Motherboard – ASUS Sabertooth X99
CPU – Intel i7 5930K
GPU – 2 or 3 ASUS STRIX GTX970s
Memory – 8 x 4GB Avexir Core Series DDR4 2400Mhz (4 x orange LED, 4 x blue LED)
SSD – Samsung SM951 512GB AHCI M.2 ; 2 x 500GB Crucial MX200 SSDs
PSU – Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W Platinum

Cables – Icemodz custom sleeved cables

Radiators – 4 x Thermaltake Pacific RL480 Radiators
Fans – 26 x Thermaltake Riing 12 High Static Pressure LED Fans - Orange, Blue and White
Pumps – 2 x Thermaltake Pacific PT40-D5 Silent Kit Reservoir/Pump Combo with Thermaltake Pacific T11 Reservoirs
Reservoirs – 2 x Fully Custom Reservoirs and 2 x Thermaltake Pacific R33 Reservoir
Fittings – Various Thermaltake 16mm Rigid Compressions fittings , right angles and extension fittings as well as some soft tubing compression fittings for 3/8” ID x 1/2” OD tubing that I will be using in some spots. Also a few Bitspower pass-through fittings.
Tubing - Thermaltake V-Tubler PETG Tube 16mm OD
CPU Block – Thermaltake Pacific W1 CPU Water Block
GPU Blocks - Thermaltake VGA Water Block for ASUS STRIX-GTX 970
Coolant – Mayhems Aurora 2 Silver base concentrate and a combination of Mayhems Dyes in Red, Yellow and Blue to achieve the desired coolant colour

Lighting – Icemodz RGD LED Strips

Other – Thermaltake Commander FT – Touchscreen Fan Controller, 3 x Vandal Momentary and Latching switches for custom power button as well switch for the reservoir LEDs, custom MNPCTECH case feed, MNPCTECH machined aluminum fans grills and acrylic grills for the radiator fans as well as some modders mesh.

The theme of this build will be a sci-fi space theme such as the banner suggests and it is named after one of the largest stars known to man, VY Canis Majoris. I also draw inspiration for this project from the awesome game Elite Dangerous though not sure if I will implement any aspects of the game into the build as of now. The colour scheme will be a dark grey/gun metal, black, orange and blue.

As for the mods to the case you will be finding that out as I go along with the build log but yea I will be stacking two X9 cases.... with a twist ;)

The packages received from Thermaltake were larger than my entire desk area :D

nMUB9b2.jpg

YgINLyI.jpg

Here's a quick look at the cases!

One of them still intact and the other one is gutted empty, only the panels remain :)

k2SAMEX.jpg

11BArUl.jpg

WWAmk5s.jpg

UkWvK5e.jpg

PohJgYL.jpg

ylouy2E.jpg

ilsrN1R.jpg

8I25Npj.jpg

eZ4yUFq.jpg

These cases are massive, here's a size comparison with an iPhone 6Plus for those of you who are not familiar with the X9 case.

4oPpkZF.jpg

2dRUtsU.jpg

VX7dBwQ.jpg

And now I know you guys like the modding so here is the start of it!

I do wanna apologise from the start for the phone pics but there is no way I can take out the DSLR when doing this :)

Will do my best to show everything as I go along and once all the work on the case is done I will take proper pics of all the bits.

So here we go, out with the dremel and jig saw!

oEdJiOk.jpg

HFuysk3.jpg

Small incision with the dremel and fire away with the jig saw.

GI3vl7I.jpg

GIbJoKI.jpg

Out it comes.

fUFRZls.jpg

Just a frame left of the X9... for now

rd1QAbd.jpg

OghORgq.jpg

n44dBgt.jpg

Still a lot of filing to do and heaps more work to come. Hope you guys will enjoy this one!

Stay tuned for more.

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited:
This is going to be a huge project(pun intended). Looking forward to seeing it progress.

This is going to be a huge project(pun intended). Looking forward to seeing it progress.

sub'd I really like where this is going

I wanna see where this rabbit hole takes me...

Thanks a lot guys :D

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys!

Just wanted to share and showcase the items Mnpctech will be providing to use for this build! :D

Mnpctech Machined aluminum "Diamond Knurl" PC Case Feet in Anodized Black, http://mnpctech.com/pc-computer-stereo-desktop-case-feet/

computer_custom_pc_gaming_casefeet_foot_%20stereo_turntable_diamond_knurl_feet_black_mnpctech1.jpg

Mnpctech 100% Aluminum Expanded "Diamond" pattern Perforated Mesh for making fan guards, grills, cooling vents, window overlays, http://mnpctech.com/case-mods-gamin...l-intake-front-fan-slotted-diamond-round-hex/

expanded_metal_sheet_perforated_diamond_triangulated_aluminum_mesh_mnpctech.jpg

Mnpctech 480 Quad Open Air Radiator grill Frame (4x120mm, 4.120mm) Open Air grill fits radiators and measure 5-7/8" x 5-1/8" wide with 15mm spacing, http://mnpctech.com/pc-computer-alp...oling/480mm-open-air-quad-radiator-grill.html

480mm_4.120_open_air_frame_pc_rad_radiator_cooling_fan_grill1.jpg

Machined aluminum "Overkill" Custom PC Fan Grills rings, http://mnpctech.com/pc-computer-cooling-fans-grills-custom/

120_140_overkill_fan_ring_computer_grill_mnpctech_game_of_thrones.jpg

Heavy Duty PETG & PVC Ratchet Hand Cutter. Cuts PETG tubing up to 1.3" or 35mm outter diameter,http://mnpctech.com/case-mods-gamin...-grills/petg-and-pvc-ratchet-tube-cutter.html

primochill_thermlatke_xspc_monsoon_bitspower_EK_PETG_PVC_TUBE_PIPE_HOSE_Cutter_Gun_Mnpctech1.jpg

aqnLash.png

Hey guys!

This should give you a better idea where I'm going with this build!

After cutting up the back panel I decided I will remake it fully but love that I managed to keep the front panel and can still mount it.

Lots more work to do in remaking the back and both side panels as well as getting new mid bars and the radiator mounting. That should make the case more rigid on an angle like this.

Once this is done I will start working on the second case :)

Also keep in mind that everything is just mounted temporarily to get a feel of things :)

AWkq2Ra.jpg

b86eXOV.jpg

5hiJRIK.jpg

nUFY7S3.jpg

jxNWacs.jpg

ZFUZix5.jpg

1DPtM6L.jpg

6TtMM8f.jpg

Thanks for checking it out and stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Alex

aqnLash.png

Hey guys,

Ready to tackle the other X9 case :D

First have to take it apart!

6eF7OLG.jpg

You can see the other one in the background, not much has changed as of yet :)

jrOyXGB.jpg

4PHDz39.jpg

ICt0GPs.jpg

You might be able to spot all the popped rivets on the floor :p

plM5UF0.jpg

Or check them all out here :D

dzpY9Gg.jpg

Stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Alex

aqnLash.png

Back with another update!

Playing around with ideas in the other case :)

fQTQFzi.jpg

And making progress on the main case :p

oYxdYaw.jpg

ThEHr0f.jpg

H98REVO.jpg

epV6Bdh.jpg

rvnzdfo.jpg

I had an idea with the original mesh but probably not gonna keep it

Re0fZFU.jpg

2V8iX8W.jpg

mcde8jU.jpg

That's about it! I need to secure the rad mounts on the side and mount some rads in to test fitment.

Stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Alex

aqnLash.png

Hey guys!

I have secured the side rad mounts and mounted two of the 480mm radiators going in this build just to get a feel for how much room there will be in that section of the case.

Also the radiators on the bottom of the other case are mounted on an angle like that but I'm probably not gonna go with that idea. They will most likely go with two sets of fans on them mounted to the bottom of the case. The LEDs from the Riing fans should give it a nice underglow :)

fpq3RrM.jpg

Also front panel still looks the same from last time however I will most likely get rid of the mesh and redo the whole front.

E1qCiwi.jpg

mjh3h4x.jpg

Pump/res combo should fit nicely under the motherboard tray. A new motherboard tray will be going in :)

riVSOap.jpg

SsN8J3e.jpg

ROgD4qY.jpg

mASsD5h.jpg

zXeHluO.jpg

Thanks for checking it out!

Cheers,

Alex

aqnLash.png

Package from Newegg has just arrived! A huge thanks to everyone there for the awesome support!

I will be updating the full system specs for this build shortly :D Also more pics will be coming!

JCHglPi.jpg

Cheers,

Alex

aqnLash.png

Hey guys,

Here is another update on the system. Work on the case continues but first I would like to let you guys know the entire spec list :D

Case – Two modded Thermaltake Core X9s
Motherboard – ASUS Sabertooth X99
CPU – Intel i7 5930K
GPU – 3 x ASUS STRIX GTX970s
Memory – 8 x 4GB Avexir Core Series DDR4 2400Mhz (4 x orange LED, 4 x blue LED)
SSD – Samsung SM951 512GB AHCI M.2 ; 2 x 500GB Crucial MX200 SSDs
PSU – Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W Platinum

Cables – Icemodz custom sleeved cables

Radiators – 4 x Thermaltake Pacific RL480 Radiators
Fans – 26 x Thermaltake Riing 12 High Static Pressure LED Fans - Orange, Blue and White
Pumps – 2 x Thermaltake Pacific PT40-D5 Silent Kit Reservoir/Pump Combo with Thermaltake Pacific T11 Reservoirs
Reservoirs – 2 x Fully Custom Reservoirs and 2 x Thermaltake Pacific R33 Reservoir
Fittings – Various Thermaltake 16mm Rigid Compressions fittings , right angles and extension fittings as well as some soft tubing compression fittings for 3/8” ID x 1/2” OD tubing that I will be using in some spots. Also a few Bitspower pass-through fittings.
Tubing - Thermaltake V-Tubler PETG Tube 16mm OD
CPU Block – Thermaltake Pacific W1 CPU Water Block
GPU Blocks - Thermaltake VGA Water Block for ASUS STRIX-GTX 970
Coolant – Mayhems Aurora 2 Silver base concentrate and a combination of Mayhems Dyes in Red, Yellow and Blue to achieve the desired coolant colour

Lighting – Icemodz RGD LED Strips

Other – Thermaltake Commander FT – Touchscreen Fan Controller, 3 x Vandal Momentary and Latching switches for custom power button as well switch for the reservoir LEDs, custom MNPCTECH case feed, MNPCTECH machined aluminum fans grills and acrylic grills for the radiator fans as well as some modders mesh

I'm really excited for everything going in this system and can't wait to see it up and running :D

Here are some more pics of the work in progress. Started working on the bottom section too!

Acrylic motherboard tray is in.

jdQPSK4.jpg

lc6DsFM.jpg

And here is the case with the bottom section attached!

G7Linsq.jpg

rRn5OpI.jpg

elKDLgy.jpg

9yx0nDv.jpg

Hope it's starting to look more like a spaceship :D

Thanks for checking it out and stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Alex

Back