• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PLEASE HELP will this supermicro workstation be loud?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nokia3310

I am planning on buying a supermicro superworkstation want to buy this model

superworkstation 7048A-T (http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/7048/SYS-7048A-T.cfm)
Below are the additions:

1 x Intel E5-2630v3
1 x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
1 x Seagate Baracuda 3TB 7200rpm
2 x 16GB Hynix 16GB DDR4 2133 ECC
1 x Nvidia Quadro k1200 4GB GDDR5 (45 watts)

My questions

#1. Will this setup be loud?

#2. Like how many decibels of noise level should i expect from this setup? will appreciate estimates for idle and load

#3. Can i have this right next to my quad monitors on my desk without disturbance from noise?

Thank you all!!!

Noise depends on the CPU heatsink, and the fans you pick out and how you mount them.

Are you going to add another CPU later? If not, a single socket board should be cheaper.

I'd go with 4 sticks if RAM per CPU to get quad channel working.

And I'd ditch the Seagate for an HGST HDD.

Noise depends on the CPU heatsink, and the fans you pick out and how you mount them.

Are you going to add another CPU later? If not, a single socket board should be cheaper.

I'd go with 4 sticks if RAM per CPU to get quad channel working.

And I'd ditch the Seagate for an HGST HDD.

Yes i will add a second CPU later, plus i sent the link to the url of the case
the case is said to be whisper quiet and at 27dB
case url > http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/7048/SYS-7048A-T.cfm and extra info about case > http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/whisperquiet.cfm

So with 1 CPU and all other stuffs i listed, i believe it should be possible to at least give reasonable estimate of the noise level
I pretty much gave all components of what i will buy

HGST or Seagate both at 7.2k rpm, any difference in noise? Am only concerned about noise

also yes i may end up buying 4 x 16GB DDR4 RAM

Last edited:
It sounds like you already have a db reading...27dB.

Like I said it depends on the fans you use. It comes with some fans, but I don't know what they are, just rpm specs. Not sure if they are PWM. If they are PWM you should be able to reduce the RPM speeds in the BIOS to tolerable levels, but if they are server type 38mm thick fans then they may be hard to get whisper quiet.

You can always buy aftermarket fans designed to run super quiet with good static air pressure. And then mount them with rubber isolating mounts.

7200rpm HDDs are louder than 5400rpm drives, so you may want to consider that. Using rubber isolating mounts will help with this as well. Seagates (especially the 3TB) are known for high failure rates. Is noise more important than losing all your data and some days of no productivity? If you got the cash you could always get a 2TB SSD for storage; they don't make any noise!

Hopefully, the PSU fan is quiet, no specs on that either.

Best way to build it super quiet is to buy all components separately after doing a lot of research. Custom rigs have more potential to be super quiet if you put the effort in. A passively cooled PC with no fans and no HDDs wouldn't make any noise until you opened the DVD drawer. Haven't seen a passively cooled Dual socket rig yet, but where there's a will there's a way!

Noise can be very subjective as well. A lower pitched sound will not be as annoying as a higher pitched sound at the same dB level. The smaller the fan diameter, the higher the pitch.

And putting any PC with moving parts (fans & HDDs) on your desk near your head is a worse case scenario for being able to hear it. Can you put it under the desk, or perhaps in the adjacent room? Maybe rack mount it in a closet?

Do you need 64GB of RAM for what you do? If not drop it to 4x4GB or 4x8GB.

Noise can be very subjective as well. A lower pitched sound will not be as annoying as a higher pitched sound at the same dB level. The smaller the fan diameter, the higher the pitch.

The fans used is mentioned on the case link
http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/7048/SYS-7048A-T.cfm

System Cooling
Fans

2x 2800 RPM Fans
1x 2700 RPM Fan

Also supermicro mentioned about the case being whisper quiet
http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/whisperquiet.cfm

I mean i know i wont be able to tell exactly but from experience from people building PCs(i don't have that experience) i thought with all the info one can at least tell if there will be loud noise or not. Also all the heat will be below 250 watts
Also if you look at that case it is fully covered and it looks solid but just wanted to confirm before i buy the thing.
Ready to buy so just waiting to get what people say.

This system will NOT be used for gaming, it will be used for lots of virtualization stuffs like multiple Virtual machines and other multitasking uses(4 monitors)

Back