• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help For First PC build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Builder

Hey guys,
I got a 650-700$ budget and wanted your opinion of these two build.
I want to play all the latest game not max setting for quite a long time.

1-PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.98 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 4GB SOC Video Card ($228.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $669.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-26 11:20 EDT-0400

2-PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($178.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-GAMING 3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.49 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.78 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($199.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX TS 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $648.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-23 09:12 EDT-0400

Thank you for your time (;

What screen resolution do you plan on playing at? Do you live anywhere near a Microcenter?

I put this together as a preliminary build, I did not choose a case because I find it is a personal choice. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kkk6t6 $619.90

I don't really know I don't have good monitor the only one I have is an old monitor.
I live in Belgium(that is why my English is not perfect.
For the case do you know any cheap good red case with minimum 2 fab included??
Thank you

Oh and my maximum budget is 800$ but with the OS,optical drive(and if possible monitor)

800$ I make the change from 700€
Nice case any other??

- - - Updated - - -

And what about my two build(first post)??

are you ordering from the USA? Still have those pesky VAT's (TVA in your country) to deal with. 21% is a huge tax, so is your pricing adjusted for that?

do you have a belgian store we can poke around on?

In France they can send to Belgium.
Ldlc,top achat,materiel.net are the best store.
If not you can just tell me the components and I have a little electronic shop next to my house who can buy and build.
For the TVA,yes my pricing is adjusted with it.
But you can go a little bit over 800$ or 700€
Thank you so much:)

of the 2 I perfer your fist listed build.
I would like you to save for a good 1080p monitor and a 120 or 240 gig ssd in the near future.
I have two games that i play and they stutter when on hdd's.

Thank's
Just wondering what's the difference between the r9 380 2gb and the r9 380 4gb
There is ~50$ difference is it worth it?
And between these i5 4440-4460-4690k?
For the case finally any style but cheap and with minimum 2 fans
For the OS wich one is better for gaming windows 7-8.1??

Thank's
Just wondering what's the difference between the r9 380 2gb and the r9 380 4gb.
There is ~50$ difference is it worth it? It's the amount of Vram each card has. The newer titles tend to use more and more Vram so it will depend on the games you plan on playing to determine if it is "worth" it. If you plan on playing modern titles, you may want to get the 4g version

And between these i5 4440-4460-4690k? The difference between the I5-4440 and 4460 is the 4460 has a 100mhz processor clock speed advantage. Which will make very little difference in gaming. The difference between the 4440/4460 and the 4690k is the 4690k is 200-500Mhz faster, depending on what clock speed your looking at. It is also unlocked, so it can be overclocked, which will save you money in two ways. In the future, if you find that you need a bit more speed out of the processor you can overclock it. Which can give you a longer lifespan out f it. Second, when you go to sell it, unlocked versions will tend to hold their value longer.

For the case finally any style but cheap and with minimum 2 fans I do not like recommending cases to people because I find it is personal choice. You are better off looking for some thing you like and then asking us if it is a good choice.

For the OS wich one is better for gaming windows 7-8.1?? There isn't any real difference between windows 7 and 8 in gaming. Windows 10 is now out also, my suggestion would be find the least expensive Os to buy whether it's 7 or 8 and then upgrade it for free to windows 10.

Thank you so much
I'm so happy to see that the pc gaming communities take so much time responding to all these thread
So I should go with your first (prebuild ) but with the r9 380 4gb
I would like to play on occulus rift in the near future and I have seen in a magazine that nvidia are better for that,is it true?

I only suggest builds that I would purchase myself. The build I put together in post #2 is a very good one for the budget. You shouldn't have any issues running games with that Cpu/Gpu combo at 1080p resolution. The R9 380 4g is a very good card for the money if you can fit it in the budget then yes get the 4g version. I do not know enough about the Occulus Rift to make a comment on whether it will be better on a Nvidia Gpu over an AMD. Look at some reviews and if that is the case, we'll help you find a suitable Nvidia Gpu.

plenty of fans, bottom mount psu, plenty of room.... looks like an awesome case honestly!

I am on a trip in Indonesia
Just bought an awesome mouse,mouse pad,keyboard and headset!!
The brand is named "armaggeddon"
Any cheap monitor??

Back