• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD's R9 Nano Details Emerge! Launch Imminent!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

It has been a few weeks since the big guns in AMD's Fiji line were released in late June (24th). The water cooled and flagship Fury X and the Fury with HBM blasted on to the scene with kudos and boo's alike, similar to nearly all product releases, frankly. When these cards came out, its 'little' brother, the R9 Nano wasn't anywhere to be found and wasn't due to be released for a short while after that. But the time is drawing closer now and we have some specifications and information on the card we can share with your this morning!

Click here to view the article.

haha... Yeah. The $650 price tag is curious considering its performance. But Fury like performance is a pleasant surprise.

Yeah, I mean if it has the same performance as a Fury but they are charging an extra $100 for a smaller power profile and smaller size, I think it will largely fall on deaf ears (depending on how loud the fan is :p) when it will be blown away by the 980ti at the same price point.

ear shattering! :p

That's pretty good, are they going to be the sole-maker of them like the furyX or will AIBs come out with custom solutions?

Nice write up. One question though, the article mentions it's only 6" long but is it a full height GPU? Looks like it'd be perfect for a HTGPC if it was a shortie and not >$600.

$649? Hmmm I'm a little disappointed now. I had heard it might have been as low as $400, which looking bad is a rather silly thought. Still though it's the same price now as the Fury X and it will run hotter and wont maintain the same clock speeds consistently. So this just looks super niche to me.

PS: AMD needs more Fury cards in stock, and a larger lineup. I'm tired of all of these confusing rebrands for the past three years.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the price.

I'm not sure what it will do on the extreme side though. I don't have any FuryX's in just yet. I should have a couple next week though.

If they drop this on the market @ $399~$425 then this is a great product. If they stick with the $600+ range with this card, then it will be a failure. This card HAS to stay below 175 WATTS and a 75/85c temp range, while the R9 Fury does not. I believe that in a Overclocked head to head comparison between the R9 Nano and the R9 Fury, that the R9 Fury would win.

R9 Nano is FuryX crippled. I bet if you add in the right amount of power, it will be a FuryX. Problem is, I could buy a FuryX for the same price as a Nano.

Everybody who has commented so far clearly aren't the target market for this card. This card is for tiny cube cases that won't fit a full-length card, not towers where you would just get the normal Fury.

How much it costs compared to Fury or Fury X or 980 Ti is totally irrelevant.

How much is costs compared to other cards of the same length is relevant.

Everybody who has commented so far clearly aren't the target market for this card. This card is for tiny cube cases that won't fit a full-length card, not towers where you would just get the normal Fury.

How much it costs compared to Fury or Fury X or 980 Ti is totally irrelevant.

How much is costs compared to other cards of the same length is relevant.
the itx 970 is around $350, no? Is almost 100% difference for 30% performance gains still worth it?

I personally feel that pricing should be based off of relative performance, not size. But even then, it's still overpriced. It is the unique size AND performance that make it worth that premium for the itx crowd.

the itx 970 is around $350, no? Is almost 100% difference for 30% performance gains still worth it?

If you're working with ITX, then it might be. The smaller you go, the more every notch on the performance scale costs. Same thing applies to laptops, tablets, routers, etc.

You are saying people will pay more for a graphics card because it is smaller but performs like the larger ones? That makes me think of the old saying that there is a sucker born every minute. Also, people building little pcs usually build them silent and that fan will alienate that crowd. I see no point for this card to exist...at least at that price range. Sadly, I was excited about the initial news of this card but as usual AMD has let me down.

You are saying people will pay more for a graphics card because it is smaller but performs like the larger ones? That makes me think of the old saying that there is a sucker born every minute.

People who pay more for lithium AA batteries instead of alkaline D batteries must also be suckers. Gonna need a bit better reasoning there.

Also, people building little pcs usually build them silent

Who are those people? If I want silent, I need room for either tower heatsinks or water pumps and radiators (and large fans to go with either one). If you're even thinking about putting a discrete GPU (and the subsequent heat) in an ITX case, you're not building for silence.

Back