• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New HWBot scoring.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The relative value of a hardware point diminishes the more benchmarks and hardware is added to the database

is this the line you're talking about? It's the value of the points not the amount of points awarded that was his intention I believe
So the larger the database grows the HW points are less significant value. I assume in the sense that 500HW points is very little if there are 1 million available.

he means its very little compared to getting 50 points for a worthless piece of hardware! he has to mean that

First of all, hi everyone! Sorry to dropping by unannounced, but I thought it would be best to reply here. It turned out to be a fairly long reply, hope you don't mind :)

// just to clarify: I'm commenting here as Pieter and not speaking for the organization. //

is this the line you're talking about? It's the value of the points not the amount of points awarded that was his intention I believe
So the larger the database grows the HW points are less significant value. I assume in the sense that 500HW points is very little if there are 1 million available.

What I mean is that the more hardware and benchmarks are added to the database, the more rankings there are, and thus the relative significance of one ranking decreases. This is not a "policy" or something I (or anyone in HWBOT) "want(s) to happen", it just happens naturally.

In 2008, we had 6 3D benchmarks at HWBOT: 3DMark01 to Vantage, and Aquamark3. Including only the ones with global points, today there are 13. So if you were 1st in 3DMark03 in 2008, you were first in 1 out of 6 3D benchmark rankings. Today, you are first in 1 out of 13 3D benchmark rankings. Now consider the hardware rankings. Including the benchmarks with hardware points, there are 24 3D benchmarks. That's an increase by a factor of 4. In 2008, Nvidia launched it GeForce 8000 series. Since then, we have the 9000, 200, 400, 500, 600, 700, and 900 series. Each with a dozen different products. The amount of hardware rankings increases exponentially. That's how we get to a count of 44,000 hardware rankings.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe I wasn't entirely on topic addressing your concern that it appears that "new, expensive hardware + liquid nitrogen = win" is the formula for HWBOT. My personal opinion is that while the perception is certainly undeniable, the intention is not. I, and many others, have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours trying to address this problem. I could write a novel-size book on this topic :p. (For those who are unaware, there is a section on the HWBOT private forums discussing this issue amongst Elite/Extreme. If you ever did subzero, you should have access)

Maybe the perception stems from global and hardware points algorithm, which takes into account two parameters to calculate a submission's points: position and participation.

For the Global Points, not much changed since the beginning of the HWBOT ranking. This was always dominated by extreme cooling and those with access to the best hardware. Two of the most important changes are 1) splitting up by core count so single gpus aren't competing against the 4way monster rigs, and 2) only the most expensive stuff is competitive. The latter is a problem since Nehalem/Gulftown (980X, first 6-core) and became a larger problem with Sandy Bridge (only 2 overclockable CPUs).

For the Hardware Points, things are fairly similar too. Major changes are the increase of benchmark and hardware, resulting in a lot more hardware rankings, but also the increase in user base. Consider this: there are more people joining HWBOT today than in 2008, and the majority of those people use new hardware. So the hardware rankings "max out" quicker with new hardware. Resulting effect: it's easier to get a certain amount of points with new hardware. That's why we see that the top hardware point scoring submissions from last week were all but one from the Core iX 4000 series. Dtaylor.nettech is 11th out of 637(!) with his 4710HQ. I'm 10th out of 170 with my 3000+ on Dry Ice, hand-binned memory, full-out tweaked, and only have 15pts. Do you really think I believe Dtaylor's score is more valuable? :p

---------------------------------------------------------------

In conclusion,

- there is more hardware, but fewer options to be competitive, and usually expensive and high-end
- there are more benchmarks
- there are more people, who prefer new hardware

The algorithm including parameters position and participation leads to favoring a specific set of highly-popular, highly-overclockable hardware. Note: the basic concept of the algorithm hasn't changed since 2006. The competitions give us a way to value different hardware and cooling. The Old School is Best School competition yields the winner the same amount of points like any of the ROG OC Showdown competitions, even if the participation is 15 vs 150.

Now, is it possible to change the algorithms to favor older hardware more? Yes, it's possible. For example, by simply setting the rule that all hardware golds have 50 points you'd essentially boost the appreciation for the older hardware. But then again, with 44K hardware rankings everyone would have maxed out hardware points in the League. So the question is complex.

To add more complexity, let's throw in the question about defining "the best overclocker" (or: what should the #1 overclocker's profile look like). Some say it's mastering a wide variety of hardware (ie. Knopflerbruce), others say it's the ability to max out contemporary hardware (ie. Rbuass' vga epowering), others say it's performing in live competitions (ie. Monstru). Some say it's the ability to handle liquid nitrogen properly, others find anything beyond ambient cooling silly.

Hardware and Global rankings are what they are, it has been just about the same for a long time.
Many , myself included know the game and play it , some days better than others.
This demographic typically does not have any support from manufactures and finance 100% of the hobby they love.
I don't have to tell you or anyone how much money that adds up to.
All we ask is to be ranked for what we do. hardware against hardware, new or old. To make a good ranking unreachable simply because one does not compete in e sport for one reason or another is not a solution this group of members appreciates.
The solution can be as simple as creating a league for e sports so for those who have time and the desire to compete in these contests can do so and be recognized and ranked accordingly.
If one wants to use a contest score to compete on a hardware or global level they simply would have to post a result in the usual manner.

E Sport and HWBot can be two different entities and co exist.
Why is it HWBot feel the two have to be connected, when in fact by definition they are not ?

I can accept that I have to bench against ln2/lhe as that is just part of benching. Compete with what you have, that is all you can do.
I feel we are being forced to the OE Sports scene.
I want to bench when I want to bench, not when OE Sports says "now its time to bench this card with this chip"

Thanks for your input Pieter, I realize it is a big job and impossible to please everyone, just don't forget about the roots that started and made HWBot what it is .

So where is this "private" forum on the bot? I just took a stroll around there and don't see it. So either I don't have access or I'm just blind this morning.

Thanks Scotty, saw that before but didn't think it was what I was looking for. I assume it's just one long flowing thread.
EDIT: some interesting reading.

Last edited:
For whatever reason my account doesn't have access to that subforum that Scotty linked. /shrug.

Maybe you should put in a ticket, there is quite a discussion there and I'm not nearly done enough reading to recap it.

@Shawn: thanks for the kind words. Rest assured your and other people's feedback is much appreciated (even if it's not in favor of the decisions we take).

Hardware and Global rankings are what they are, it has been just about the same for a long time.
Many , myself included know the game and play it , some days better than others.
This demographic typically does not have any support from manufactures and finance 100% of the hobby they love.
I don't have to tell you or anyone how much money that adds up to.
All we ask is to be ranked for what we do. hardware against hardware, new or old. To make a good ranking unreachable simply because one does not compete in e sport for one reason or another is not a solution this group of members appreciates.
The solution can be as simple as creating a league for e sports so for those who have time and the desire to compete in these contests can do so and be recognized and ranked accordingly.
If one wants to use a contest score to compete on a hardware or global level they simply would have to post a result in the usual manner.

Why is it HWBot feel the two have to be connected, when in fact by definition they are not ?

The reason is included in your reply: because we want to rank overclockers for what they do.

Competitive overclocking, as in participating in time- and hardware-restricted events, is part of what overclocking is nowadays. It would be strange for us to "ignore" people who enjoy overclocking mostly through the competitive aspect. The prime examples of people who were under-valued are Xtreme Addict and Topdog, who focus heavily on the competitions and less so on the (respectively) hardware and global rankings. Adding competitions into the equation doesn't render it impossible to be competitive without. In fact, the current #1 in the Extreme League and #16 overall, Hideo, has no competition points. There is in fact still some stretch left: He's at 797 hardware points out of a theoretical maximum of 20x50=1000pts, and 715 global points out of a theoretical maximum of 15x166=2490.

hideo.PNG

Actually, on the topic of Hideo, he's an incredible overclocker. He's been active for so long (pre-Athlon XP!) and continues to top the leaderboards.

For whatever reason my account doesn't have access to that subforum that Scotty linked. /shrug.

Just enabled access for you. Sorry about this.

hwbot get to set the definition for "overclocker"?

Back