• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should i wait or purchase now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overclucker

I currently have a EVGA E758-A1 (X58 chipset) mobo with an i7 CPU. Since upgrading to Windows 8 i have found alot of game stability issues. Now this is a 5 or 6 year old motherboard by now so i would expect some problems with new games and new OS's.

But i do not see any new chipsets being released for AMD in the near future besides FM related chipsets. The 990fx chipset is a couple years old now, and i see Skylake was just released. Also it would seem there are no new AMD motherboards being released besides Gigabytes 8x PCIE board.

I am leaning toward an AMD system this time around, but i see nothing on the AMD horizon for the AM class.

So should i go with Skylake? Or wait on AMD to release a new Chipset some time in the future?

Forget about AMD. If you want to upgrade then only to Intel. Regardless what AMD is planning, I wouldn't hope on anything good anytime soon. They have too many bad ideas recently what is causing them to lose market shares quite fast.
If you think about i7 class platform then I'm not sure if 5820K and even average ( still high end ) motherboard wouldn't be better idea than skylake. I mean price is similar while you get 6 cores and other features are similar.

Zen I believe is their next desktop line, I would imagine it will come in 2016. Depending on your budget, it is hard to recommend an AMD system with how far ahead Intel is in almost every category.

Just wanted to add that in my experience it is pointless waiting for the new technology to become available in the stores. By the time that happens you might then want to wait for the next technological enhancement to become available and then nothing gets done. You can only go with what is currently available (unless the next thing is literally just around the corner) imho

I may need to stick with Intel then, rather not wait till 2016 for a product that may be inferior to Intel's CPUs.

Forget about AMD. If you want to upgrade then only to Intel. Regardless what AMD is planning, I wouldn't hope on anything good anytime soon. They have too many bad ideas recently what is causing them to lose market shares quite fast.
If you think about i7 class platform then I'm not sure if 5820K and even average ( still high end ) motherboard wouldn't be better idea than skylake. I mean price is similar while you get 6 cores and other features are similar.

But, if they have a viable option at a decent price point, then this attitude will only further dig their grave.

I am about to finish my Devil's Canyon build, but if Zen, or AMD's DDR4 support in general, is even good for every day computing, I might have to seriously look into it. You are right that right now the only real AMD options that make sense are:
- 860k is a SFF tight-budget build
- 7850k or 7870k in an HTPC
- FX 6300 in a lower mid-range build

But at the same time, their flagship CPU is the same price as an unlocked i5, so they are priced to compete, in a way. an FX 8350 or 9-series is a viable gaming CPU, but the heat output and lack of motherboard options has definitely crippled them.

Back