• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for new PSU for my new setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Wasup everyone, I am in the process of looking for a good power supply that will run my current setup which will be built this weekend. I plan to overclock this system at some point so I need something that will work safely on my system. Trying to say withing or around $150 mark nothing to high end that will pust me on the $200 mark but not to cheap as well. Thanks

CPU: AMD FX-8350
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Premium CPU Cooler with NF-A15 x 2 PWM
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
RAM: 2 of Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866 MHZ (PC3 15000)
VIDEO: MSI R9 290X Lightning Edition
SSD: 128GB SSD
HDD 2.5: 500GB Seagate
HDD 3.5: 750GB Seagate
HDD 3.5: 320GB WD
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower
PSU: ????

Not recommended options PSU I own.
*OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular - I heard is a timebomb scary stuff and is already a pretty old unit.
*Rosewill Xtreme Series rx750-s-b 750w - Don't know much about this power supply but is a year old has 2 more years under warranty and it was giving to me to get my system up and running.

"This is also posted on OCN just to see what I get for recommendation options."

Last edited:
I think I will go with a lower end 750-850watt EVGA SuperNova G2 unit and call it a day.

Easily, yes.

But once I crank up the GPU that is a whole different story so I would be looking into an 850w if that is the story right? I have a friend that keeps telling me I need 1000w minimum because he did some test and was showing that in order to stay in the 80% safe zone and be efficient that I need that much power. He said with basic math I would need 900 or above for my setup. I trying to do the math I just don't see it adding up unless I say that CPU= 282w, GPU=397w, plus 125 overral system watts put me in the 804watts bracket which then a 1000w PSU makes sense.

Last edited:
Last edited:
not worried about the money thing so much more about getting a good psu that has some headroom for some decent overclocking and gaming. Even though the machine will be use for audio recording and audio production mainly. I plan to OC t 4.5 or 4.6 on the CPU but I doubt I will do much with the GPU.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way I have this power supply that I was planning to use temporary until I got the EVGA G2 one. What you think of it?

Rosewill Xtreme Series 750W 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply ATX12V / EPS12V 750 Power Supply RX750-S-B
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...I3GR66FEYD01TL&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

I just linked a review to it stating otherwise.. never believe people, believe reviews from QUALITY reviewers.

If you want the best of both worlds, grab this EVGA GS650. Saves money, and is overkill... so its right up your ally.

Good Luck!

I just linked a review to it stating otherwise.. never believe people, believe reviews from QUALITY reviewers.

If you want the best of both worlds, grab this EVGA GS650. Saves money, and is overkill... so its right up your ally.

Good Luck!

Thanks my friend, your are the best! Will do. :attn:

Time to do some reading. :comp:

Back