• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(2) Asus Strix 980ti's are enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hits4200

I have 3 Asus ROG 2k monitors and im running 2 Asus Strix 980ti's in SLI. My MB is a Asus Formula VII. 16 GB Gskill 2400 trident ram and a 1600 watt PS. I honestly thought 1 of these cards would be enough to run the three monitors in Project cars at highest settings and it did but frame rates were too low about 25-35fps. Got a second card and im still not impressed with the frame rates. They hover at about 40fps and dive to about 30 in intense sequences. My question is, would a 3rd card have any impact on my FPS like the second card did? Ive built a lot of PC's but ive never gone this far into a gaming PC so im pretty much a noob in this realm.

My other question is if anyone knows more about these cards. Mine run full load at 60c for top card and 70c bottom card with fans at 75%.

Thanks,
hits4200

That's a lot of resolution to push, no matter what. Are both GPUs running at 100% usage?

how much vram are you using ?

7380x1440 is brutal , but think two should do it

Do some research on how that title scales and possibly try another title to see if your results are any better

That's a lot of resolution to push, no matter what. Are both GPUs running at 100% usage?

Im not sure what they are doing in game but when i run 3d mark or unigine Valley and Heaven i assume its using both gpu's at 100%. Those results in surround for Valley are 39.5 average fps with a score of 1654 and in the Heaven benchmark it is 44 fps with a score of 1123. I cant really even run 3d mark, it doesnt want anything to do with my setup. I guess ill have to get back to you tonight on what its doing in game.

how much vram are you using ?

7380x1440 is brutal , but think two should do it

Do some research on how that title scales and possibly try another title to see if your results are any better

I have a ton of games and i can say that it runs the smoothest and best in the latest titles. for example PCars runs pretty good but Zombie army sturggles mightily. Rocket league ( i know i know) actually runs beautifully but im not so sure that that game is very demanding however it scales great and the colors are intense. Battlefield 4 i cant really test because of directx memory issues but when i can get to run for more than 15 minutes it runs very good.

- - - Updated - - -

Also searching for Project CARS SLI gives me this:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22928-Terrible-SLI-GPU-usage

Looks like poor SLI performance/scaling with the game.

Good find! I havent even tried it out in the rain yet. That will be the first thing i do when i get home tonight. Very interesting though that gpu's arent working at 100%. Thanks for pointing this out because it kind of answers my question that a 3rd card may not do anything at all period and could end up hurting fps.

Back