• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temperatures i7-6700k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valgua

Registered
Hi!

I have recently updated my pc to skylake (asus pro gaming mobo + i7 6700k). My cooler is a noctua of good quality and my case is a Corsair Carbide 200r with four fans (plus the aforementioned cooler).

The PC is working really well, but I monitored my temps with HW Monitor out of curiosity.
During gaming (one hour with the Witcher 3) my cpu peaks at 74 c. With Prime95 my CPU peaks around 81 c but stays most of the time in the mid-70. Strangely, the cpu temperature indicated by AI Suite III at least 10 degrees lower.

Is this normal/acceptable?

EDIT: I discovered a mistake in my measurement. The first time around I used the most recent version of Prime95, which apparently reaches very high temps by sliding the volts (I be wrong on the explanation, but several sites reports that that version produces very exagerated temps). With the heat test of the recommended version my CPU never exceeds 74 degrees celsius. I guess that that is not too bad, is it?

Last edited:
Which Noctua? Just because you have a Noctua does not mean its suited for a higher end processor. Are you overclocked? Overvolted? Did you check your temperatures using RealTemp or CoreTemp?

If you are stock utilizing a D15, then something is wrong.... Cannot say as you left out too many critical pieces of information.

Temps are probably ok. The 6700k has paste tim1, just like 4790k, hence the same temp issues. Prime 95 version 28.5 has fma3/avx and temps will be much higher especially with small ffts.

But like doz said, would be helpful to list your volts/mhz, though yours is likely at stock given the temps.

Yup rge is right the v28.5 of prime95 really makes your temps hotter because of those avx instructions. I use prime95 v26.6, try it out.

Din't know the 6700k used the same tim from 4790k.

Back