• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zippyandgeorge

I am about to build a new PC. I have just read if you buy a NVMe SSD you need to make sure the motherboard you buy can boot from a NVMe SSD. Can somebody please recommend me a suitable motherboard for the following components

I7 6700k
Noctua NH-D15
GTX 980
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Quad Channel Kit
Asus Essence STX II 7.1 sound card
Samsung SM951 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe
Dark Power Pro 11 850W Power Supply
Fractal Design Define XL R2 Black Pearl case

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. No budget and just a single drive. Once it is built I will be adding a 256 GB SATA SSD from my current PC.

My understanding is any Z170 should boot from a NVMe SSD. There were some issues with 2 NVMe SSD in RAID (which has since be resolved). Have you read the reviews on the frontpage or elsewhere on the web?

Your location may be an issue in deciding. There aren't many I7 6700k being sold in the United States.

I had the same problem and have just recently brought an msi Z170 from ebuyer, thanks for the advice dudleycpa.

I had the same problem and have just recently brought an msi Z170 from ebuyer, thanks for the advice dudleycpa.

Glad to be of service. If you don't mind please start a build log thread or post details in your signature.
I'm curious as to what your temperatures, voltages and motherboard settings are.

We (the forum) needs a Intel Skylake i7 6700K & i5 6600K Results Thread! - maybe of the senior members or Audio or ATM will be kind enough to assist us?

Back