• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strix 980 Ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

Thinking about getting one but don't know if my PSU will be able to hold it comfortably since by the reviews it will pull over 300w-330w at full load. Anyone that has one able to give me a definitive answer CONSIDERING my specs (sig)?

With an overclocked amd 8 core i would hesitate to run sli 980ti's on a 750w psu, but a single one will be more than fine. Id be shocked if your rig with a 980ti pulled much more than 600w from the wall, and thats a solid 200w away from that quality pus's output.

With an Intel, I would say you would be OK. With that AMD overclocked where it is... you are pushing it.

That said, I would still try... here is why. I run a 5820K between 4.2 and 4.5GHz along with a 295x2 (500W). The 295x2 runs at stock speeds. If you run the GPUs at stock speed, I would say you are ok. If you plan on overclocking the GPUs, I would bump up the PSU to 850W+.

I also wonder why you need 2 980Ti's with the monitor in your signature... no need.

Last edited:
I also wonder why you need 1 980Ti's with the monitor in your signature... no need.

My 970 has a problem with the VRMs as they hit 90s fairly quick even on stock speeds, so instead of getting another i might as well upgrade as i am also planning on getting a 144mhz monitor (plus i have vSync always on).

The 980Ti is already factory OC so not planning on pushing the envelope in day to day ((other then benchs)). I can always dial down the CPU in a pinch i guess ?

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/STRIXGTX980TIDC3OC6GD5GAMING/

Im confused... are you going single 980ti or two?

EDIT: Looks like just one... it was ST that mentioned two and threw me off, LOL!

With one, that PSU is perfectly fine including overclocking the single 980Ti.

Im confused... are you going single 980ti or two?

EDIT: Looks like just one... it was ST that mentioned two and threw me off, LOL!

With one, that PSU is perfectly fine including overclocking the single 980Ti.

One is more then enough for me, even with the new 144mhz monitor or a second monitor for background browsing i will still be gaming at only 1080p.

Thank you all for your replies, ordered and should receive it monday/tuesday next week :clap: i love Amazon :)

The 750 is fine but it is close. I have two 980ti strix and they are power hungry monsters. I went from an 850 psu with one card to a 1200 with two cards. Anyway, Id like to hear your thoughts on the card. They are pretty sick!!!

The 750 is fine but it is close. I have two 980ti strix and they are power hungry monsters. I went from an 850 psu with one card to a 1200 with two cards. Anyway, Id like to hear your thoughts on the card. They are pretty sick!!!
You would have been fine with a quality 850W PSU and those cards. You aren't even tickling the 1.2KW PSU. Hell, I would even overclock them on an Intel based system...

For the record, I run a 295x2 (500W) and a 5820K overclocked on a 750W PSU and the fan on the PSU turns on only after long gaming sessions. Now, when I overclock teh 5820K to 4.8GHz and 1.475v and crank the 295x2 to its limit, I do manage to hit over 700W.

Be careful on the information you share in that it is correct. ;)

Last edited:
Found out yesterday that its coming from Germany, so delivery will be delayed till around the 4th, but will post as soon as i get my greedy little paws on it :clap: went to http://powersupplycalculator.net/ and it gave me the pic below (used Titan X for comparison as they draw the same and it didn't have the 980Ti) so... yeah... close :)

Watts.jpg

For you, Jenrou, you have an AMD FX and its highly overclocked. In your case, I would go 650W-750W for a single 980Ti, particularly when overclocking. I think I barely hit 400W with an Intel at 4Ghz in my review.

You would have been fine with a quality 850W PSU and those cards. You aren't even tickling the 1.2KW PSU. Hell, I would even overclock them on an Intel based system...

For the record, I run a 295x2 (500W) and a 5820K overclocked on a 750W PSU and the fan on the PSU turns on only after long gaming sessions. Now, when I overclock teh 5820K to 4.8GHz and 1.475v and crank the 295x2 to its limit, I do manage to hit over 700W.

Be careful on the information you share in that it is correct. ;)

Well it seems like you have everything covered then Earthdog so i wont share any of my first hand experiences ever again. Anyway, Ken let me know how you like it. I probably wont be around these forums too much long though as it seems there are moderator nazis. Nobody likes the guy who think he knows know it all. Probably explains the very low reply rate to a lot of threads. Good luck with your card Kenrou!!!

Not remotely everything... but a nazi? Wow...

Sorry you feel that way hits, but I was simply correcting things from my experiences as a reviewer and a competitive benchmarker. I'm more than happy to be corrected, but that would require some supporting facts/links from your side and a bit less insulting me and the site because information was corrected.

There is one review of mine with a 980Ti on the front page, and 4 from another reviewer and we barely broke 400W (AT THE WALL).

Well it seems like you have everything covered then Earthdog so i wont share any of my first hand experiences ever again. Anyway, Ken let me know how you like it. I probably wont be around these forums too much long though as it seems there are moderator nazis. Nobody likes the guy who think he knows know it all. Probably explains the very low reply rate to a lot of threads. Good luck with your card Kenrou!!!

Sorry you don't want to listen to the first hand experience of a highly experienced member that has actually tested these power draw numbers with a power meter.

Idiotic arguments aside, i am fine with my puny G2 750W Gold correct ? even assuming CPU and GPU overclocking, SHOULD be enough to be COMFORTABLE (ie push the Strix to her limits and back). I'm asking cause its only a couple months old and i really don't want to get another one :D

Last edited:
Absolutely Kenrou (see post 5), that high quality 750W will be fine, even with overclocking the 980 Ti Strix to its limit. Remember, unless you modify the bios, the 980Ti Strix only has what, 20% power limit? So that would make the card limited to around 310W. Your CPU may be pulling 175-200W, and give 100W for the rest of the system (which is a grand over estimate), you can see that totals to 610W, but only if you are maxing both the GPU and CPU at the same time (usually occurs with stress testing or something like F@H). During gaming, I doubt you will see much over 500W.

Absolutely Kenrou (see post 5), that high quality 750W will be fine, even with overclocking the 980 Ti Strix to its limit. Remember, unless you modify the bios, the 980Ti Strix only has what, 20% power limit? So that would make the card limited to around 310W. Your CPU may be pulling 175-200W, and give 100W for the rest of the system (which is a grand over estimate), you can see that totals to 610W, but only if you are maxing both the GPU and CPU at the same time (usually occurs with stress testing or something like F@H). During gaming, I doubt you will see much over 500W.

My CPU is running 4.7ghz 1.392v 24/7 and i hadn't thought about modding the BIOS until u mentioned it, tried it with my current (upping how much she could pull) and didn't see any improvement. Happier now, again Thank you all for your advice :)

Not remotely everything... but a nazi? Wow...

Sorry you feel that way hits, but I was simply correcting things from my experiences as a reviewer and a competitive benchmarker. I'm more than happy to be corrected, but that would require some supporting facts/links from your side and a bit less insulting me and the site because information was corrected.

There is one review of mine with a 980Ti on the front page, and 4 from another reviewer and we barely broke 400W (AT THE WALL).
Earthdog you're a nazi? Who would have known! :facepalm:

My god this board is a MONSTER. 1418mhz at stock out of the box. I'm old and manly enough to admit that i almost creamed my pants with the diference... Tomorrow OC limits, stress testing and more pics :)

Bottom ones are 3DMark v1.5.893 (64-bit), Fire Strike, Fire Strike Extreme and Fire Strike Ultra respectively.

980 Ti stock.jpg
Valley 980 Ti.jpg Heaven 980 Ti.jpg
Fire Strike 980 Ti.jpg Fire Strike Extreme 980 Ti.jpg Fire Strike Ultra 980 Ti.jpg

Last edited:
So, little bit of tweaking we get 1493mhz, seeing a pattern with the 970 topping out around 1500mhz. Not much of a difference to be honest, but considering the already massive OC...

980 Ti OC.jpg
Valley 980 Ti OC.jpg Heaven 980 Ti OC.jpg
Fire Strike 980 Ti OC.jpg Fire Strike Extreme 980 Ti OC.jpg Fire Strike Ultra 980 Ti OC.jpg

Back