• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Budget PSU for store

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

radi4fun

Hi everyone, I was looking for a budget PSU in the $50-$60 range to be used for a computer that I am building for my brother's retail store.

so far I have Asus P6X58D Premium, i7 930 w/stock cooler, 6GB ddr3, EVGA GTX 550ti. No overcooking will be done on this computer. It will usually be on for about 12-16 hours/day 7 days a week. I would like to stay will max of $60 (lower the better). As I still need to buy random 120gb sad to run his POS program for customer checkout. Thanks

Last edited:
Here is what I meant by issues:http://www.overclock.net/t/1415677/whats-exactly-the-problem-with-corsairs-cx-psushttp://www.overclock.net/t/1431436/why-you-should-not-buy-a-corsair-cx

Though they are both of similar quality, the cx430 had some more problems outside of just the review, that was ok. Its alao rated at 30c, so, I hope it isnt inside anything. If you google the same thing with the 500b, there are WAY less concerns and probs. Hence why I feel for this application requiring nearly constant uptime, higher reliability is needed, the evga is the better choice.

Even this since everything is going to be at stock -http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=17-151-143

My concern is that reliability is key here because of its uses. Either that or buy two cx 430s, lol!

Last edited:
Yeah for me, the reliability is #1 priority as it's not so simple to just take a part the computer right in middle of the store and try and figure out if the psu went out. I think I will go with the evga and their warranty. This system is going to be put into a mid tower case and basically forgotten about. I'm sure the 930 makes heat but at stock it shouldn't be too hot at all and the 550ti is a weak little gpu that won't generate much heat at all.

Actually, the 550Ti (and all Fermis, for that matter) is a very hot little card. You will definitely want at least 1 strong intake and 1 strong exhaust fan in that case, preferably at least one more intake.

I had a 550Ti, it'd idle at 50C and under moderate gaming load (talking games like Bioshock at medium settings), it'd shoot up to around 80C. The only way to combat it is to ramp the fan up, and that makes it really loud.

Both the 430 and 500 have the same 3 year warranty. Both corsair and evga have awesome customer service...

Same tier psu. Both are made with similar components. Both are made on the dsaii platform... seriously nonsense to buy one over the other. Get whichever is cheaper.

The 550ti is probably ancient and that'll probably go first before you have psu problems. I'd recommend you get a new 5450 for reliability sake. They are 20$ on newegg.

@ed, there are several revisions of the cx430. You're posting stuff from Rev 1 and 2... they are on rev2.3 with updated components and a longer warranty. Not quite the same animal

Last edited:
If absolute reliability is king, grab a Seasonic s12ii 430. One of the highest rated psu's ever. Go on sale for 40-50 routinely.

Good to know bob. Hopefully if he buys one, he gets the right one... or, just gets the one that didn't take a couple cracks to get it right. :)

redbone is a cool little case, got one for my friends build a while back... that said, it is a touch on the gaudy side, just something to think about if its getting show time in the store.

Back