• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3/8 x 5/8 tubing not synching with compression fittings.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tsaroth

Registered
Hello. This is my first official post under this account but I have been on many forums, either lurking or contributing. I am in need of help, but don't worry I am going to become an active member of these forums effective immediately.

i am reaching out to my water cooling family because I don't know what to do and I can't hear myself think over the stock intel cooler

I bought the following from performance-pcs.com

Monsoon Chain Gun Compression Fittings - http://www.performance-pcs.com/monsoon-chain-gun-compression-fittings-3-8-x-5-8-4-pack-red.html
PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing - 3/8in. ID X 5/8in. OD - Bloodshed Red - http://www.performance-pcs.com/prim...tubing-3-8in-id-x-5-8in-od-bloodshed-red.html

I started to build my computer and I slid the collar over the tubing and it went over REAL easy. I thought something was wrong so I tried another piece of 3/8 x 5/8 tubing that came on my H220X (I'm putting a graphics card in the loop) and when I tried to slide it over it didn't go over real easy.

I measured them both. The tubing that came from Swiftech on the H220X measured exactly 3/8 x 5/8. The red PrimoFlex tubing only measured at 5/16 x 9/16.

I thought maybe it was an acceptable tolerance but after I test fit the tubing on the fitting I don't think so. When I tightened the collar as much as I could, I pulled on the tubing and I was able to pull the tubing right off the barb and it slid through the collar of the compression fitting. When I put the collar on the compression fitting over the tube and I tighten it, it feels like it bottoms out without compressing the tubing. Could it be because of the 1/16 shortage across that I have?

I can't use it like this can I?

Did ppc send me the wrong size or is the PrimoFlex tubing just crap that isn't the right size?

I want to finish messing with the H220X so I can post pictures and a build log and now I'm stuck in Limbo.

Can someone please offer some advice or tell me if I can do something to fix it, or if it's ok the way it is?

Thank you so much.

Last edited:
Hi

I wouldn't know if it is ok to use. But if it is not staying put and disconnects with little pressure then that **could** suggest it is not safe to use.

Are you sure PerformancePCs didn't send you some 7/16in. ID x 5/8in by mistake? Have you checked the packing list? Possibly the LRT is out of spec (as these things can happen from time to time)? Give PPCs a call and see what they say...

Neither of your links work btw

Links have been fixed so they show properly.

I know the tubing is smaller than 5/8. I measured it. 9/16 and the ID is about 1/16 off. Which I know is driving the OD being 1/16 short. I just didn't know if that was an acceptable tolerance when it comes to compression fittings.

It didn't come in the package as I didn't need 10 feet, but next time I may just buy that to make sure the packaging shows correct.

It's not really easy pressure, but I thought that when the collar was all the way down that it wouldn't come out no matter how hard I pulled.

I'm a bigger guy, over 6' and over 300lbs and I'm very heavy handed.

When I put a fitting on the waterblock just now and attached tubing and tightened the collar, I still did not feel any resistance, however I tried pulling (not hard enough to seperate atoms but just pulling) and it wasn't coming off as easily, I pulled and let the tube slide between my hand about 5 times and when I took the collar off, the tubing had slid a little bit. I thought it wasn't supposed to do that. It won't do that if it's fitting correctly right?

Hi

I wouldn't know if it is ok to use. But if it is not staying put and disconnects with little pressure then that **could** suggest it is not safe to use.

Are you sure PerformancePCs didn't send you some 7/16in. ID x 5/8in by mistake? Have you checked the packing list? Possibly the LRT is out of spec (as these things can happen from time to time)? Give PPCs a call and see what they say...

Neither of your links work btw

The LRT comes in very long reels, so when you order say 10ft, they just cut that length off the reel and ship it out. I think the pics on websites are just promotional...

...I pulled and let the tube slide between my hand about 5 times and when I took the collar off, the tubing had slid a little bit. I thought it wasn't supposed to do that. It won't do that if it's fitting correctly right?
I've never used compression fittings so you'll have to wait for someone else to drop by with confirmation.

my most recent primochill LRT purchase had the same issue, except for it was too big to be used with the compression fittings.
i would try sending primochill an email about it, however, they didnt do anything for me about it, said that it was within their tolerances, and the only compression fittings that they guarantee their tube to work with is their own compression fittings.
i ended up buying different tube to get it to work out for me.

Well that's reassuring. Damn, I wanted to get this build done this weekend.

my most recent primochill LRT purchase had the same issue, except for it was too big to be used with the compression fittings.
i would try sending primochill an email about it, however, they didnt do anything for me about it, said that it was within their tolerances, and the only compression fittings that they guarantee their tube to work with is their own compression fittings.
i ended up buying different tube to get it to work out for me.

If it were me, I would definitely contact PPCs in the first instance, as they are the reseller and you never bought anything off Primochill. See what PPCs say. I normally find folks are more receptive when you do these things on the phone, face to face, so to speak.

Good luck!

I will. However, it's not really PPCS fault that Primochill makes tubing that is not the exact size it is supposed to be :(

If it were me, I would definitely contact PPCs in the first instance, as they are the reseller and you never bought anything off Primochill. See what PPCs say. I normally find folks are more receptive when you do these things on the phone, face to face, so to speak.

Good luck!

Contact PPCs and than PrimoChill as your last resort as already stated. Its unfortunate but keep us updated in the meantime.

:welcome: to OCFs btw.

So performance pcs said it was an extrusion issue and gave me a link to open a ticket with promochill. I opened it, they asked for proof of purchase and image of the issue and then asked for my address to send a replacement.

If that's what they do then I'll keep you guys posted but it seems like they will be making it right. I've always had good luck with promochill in the past so I'm glad to see they value their customers.

well they made right. Primochill just sent me new tubing that is 5/8 OD.

They also sent me some system cleaning stuff free of charge, so thank you.

It's looking pretty good......... IMG_1826.JPG

Very nice. I really like their Bloodshed Red tubing. Looks good with most black themed builds.

Glad it all worked out.

^^^^^
Totally agree with GTX. That tubing look spectacular in your build. Very clean build so far, would love to see pictures once everything is connected and cables ran :D

Back