• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Plexi or acetal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TuKr

As the title says which should i go with? The only thing ive seen says that the plexi could stress from the barbs but that was an old thread, and these barbs thread into a block off the plexi. Im looking at ek's products and its the same cost for either style. Just curious of any benifits one may have from the other. Thanks guys

Last edited:
Plexi has caused more problems that I know of. Plexi is still plexi from long ago. Acetal isn't that old for watercooling parts. Less brittle.

Exactly. :thup:

I chose acetal because its more durable and can handle more stress than plexi. Plexi is like plastic, it will crack if you put too much stress to it where with acetal, you can get away with it to an extent. I've heard of plexi crack over time, my guess is the stress from the heat and fittings being too tight. The thing is, I like my fittings tight when water cooling lol so hence why I go with acetal. The plexi would be great for show rigs to show off the colored fluid but of course that's not usually a daily driver. If still want to go with clear, try finding some parts that are made of clear acetal.

Hope this helps.

Well ive been thinking about this all day... and it came down to a few questions that made me decide. Hopefully this helps others with a similar decision. I asked myself why i wanted the acrylic so much more than the acetal, and it came down to color, but i dont want to dye my fluid because my choice was either red(which ive heard horror stories about) or white. Well white isnt all that exciting now is it. So as i looked at the acetal i was trying to think about what i could do to make it pop a bit in my build, and then it hit me... choose the acylic and throw an LED in it. So thank you for the input guys but im going with the acrylic top. The edge lighting that it will get from the LED has me set. Possibly rigid tubing also. Now i just need alot of rad area...

Don't go dyes or you'll be opening on another thread. Read up our stickies if need to be. Don't be shy.

If you want color in your build, colored tubing, LEDs is fine as well, distilled water and a biocide like a silver coil. Done deal. If you didn't know about this, read up and we'll all chat it up again.

Back