• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Metis aka Green Machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Patzilla2000

Hello world

This is my 1st forum post so here goes.

Recently I decided to rebuild my 2yr old htpc mostly because I wanted to add a gpu and my old case would accommodate my needs "WANTS", so I decide on the Raijintek Metis. In the end I only recycled my intel DH77DF. Everything else was budget wise except the gpu. For that I went for a evga gtx 970. FYI barely fits.

After my 1st benchmark temps were not to my surprise pretty high. At stock fan speeds temps were high 80c to low 90c.

I decided to add 2 60mm fans to side window. That while raising fan speeds to 50% dropped temps about 7c. Not much considering I now need ear plugs to sit next to it.

20150817_171331-1-1-1.jpg

Still unhappy I decided that wrecking a $50 case was better than burning up my gpu. So having access to a CNC machine I drew up a program and crossed my fingers.

20150823_170538-1-1-1-1.jpg

Adding a 120mm fan blowing down while having rear fan blow in and psu blow out bottom my new benchmark temps are high 50s to low 60s. Also removed the two 60s in side window.

How's it look

Intel DH77DF
Intel i5-3570s
EVGA GTX970
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws ddr3 1600
240GB PNY cs1100 sad
Thermaltake Smart 650w

Last edited:
Nice work. I would suggest exhausting out the top (more efficient) :thup:

Thanks ninja! Thanks for the advise, I would like to do that however the gpu fans and the 120mm top are only about 3/16" apart so I need to have that fan blow down otherwise they will fight for the same air and I'll end up with next to zero air flow.

Thanks again

The 120 fan on top looks nice, but I agree with NinjaCore. Your temps may improve if you switch your air flow. Exhausting out the bottom the warm air will naturally rise and get sucked back in.

HTPC + Loud fans is a bad combo. That 120 should be a ton quieter that the 2x60mm's. Also if it's still to loud you could consider replaceing the Cooler Master fan on your 212 to something quieter like the Noise Blocker eLoop or a Noctua.

EDIT: we posted at the same time so disregard air flow suggestion.

the gpu fans and the 120mm top are only about 3/16" apart so I need to have that fan blow down otherwise they will fight for the same air and I'll end up with next to zero air flow.

Would exhausting out the rear work?

Edit: no pun intended ;)

Lol. The rear case fan, cpu and psu are all in pretty close proximity to one another and I want to keep the air moving smoothly. With the 2 120mm blowing in I have a pretty good positive air pressure in case so pretty much as soon as the heat comes out of gpu sink it gets pushed out the vent holes on top. Some of that heat my get drawn back in but for the size of the metis I think I'll live with these temps. Mostly watch movies on it anyway with an occasional bout of far cry 4.

Back