• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antivirus hanging even in safe mode?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LaRiccia

Registered
Anyone ever had this problem?
Microsoft Security Essentials hangs when trying to run a full scan, can only be exited from task manager, then can't be opened again without restarting the computer. If I try to run a full scan in safe mode, it still hangs, although it lets me close it without resorting to the task manager; it just won't finish scanning.

Chkdsk says there's nothing wrong with either my ssd or my hdd, Malware Bytes runs all the way through (at least in safe mode; haven't tried it in normal mode yet) and finds nothing.

It may or may not be related, but the computer will also only enter safe mode from msconfig; trying to get there from restart -> F8 only offers disk repair and normal start (arrow keys freeze, so it goes straight into disk repair), causes it to claim that the computer could not boot, and insist on running disk repair, which finds nothing and tries to run system restore. But it can boot; it boots fine as long as you don't try to look for boot options; I can turn it off and on all I want. It just gets delusional if I start looking for boot options.

Try reinstalling MSE.

I tried it, and for a while it looked like it would work, then it hung in the same directory. Not the same file, but the same directory. FWIW it's C:\Windows\winsxs\Backup\wow64_microsoft-windows...[whatever; sometimes installer and print ui, sometimes rasserver, various things]

It successfully runs quick scan, incidentally, which I guess doesn't include this folder.

Edit: Apparently this is a known issue. Found a Microsoft forum thread on the issue. Here it is in case anyone else has the same problem in the near future: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4/c0db44ab-97f1-4e8e-8924-8c484eb6e018?page=3

Last edited:
Back