• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ripjaws Frequency potential issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

Hey guys, I noticed that hen I switched motherboards, it is recognizing two of my 1600mhz RAM sticks as 1333mhz. I am currently at school and will confirm that the stickers on the RAM sticks says 1600mhz when I am at home. Anyway, twice now my computer has randomly shut off on its own. I do not believe this should be a power supply issue since 750 watts should be more than enough and all of my power supply connections are all secure. My CPU is not overclocked and my GPUs are overclocked but I have ran Heaven and Firestrike without seeing any artifacts at all. With XMP they are running at 1600mhz 9-9-9-24. I could see this being a problem if the sticks are 1333mhz, since they'd be overclocked and the timings are lowered. I might see about disabling XMP and seeing if this ever happens again. (Once it happened when I was playing CSGO and another time when I was leaving it on the desktop while I got something to eat. So this seems like something hard to recreate.)

This is normal... typically it defaults to the JEDEC spec for compatibility reasons though some will go 1600MHz. Just set it up using XMP profile or manual.

If you're running XMP then that's what the sticks are rated for...

So you are recommending I try 1600mhz no XMP like my old stable setup?
Yes.

Here is the concern... you mixed and matched ram capacity (and for some reason you don't know what speed the other set was??!). They may not be the EXACT same kit sub timings wise. So when you enable XMP, god only knows which set of sticks it pulls from and uses which timings. I did not see/recall you had mismatched capacity sticks until now.

I think we mentioned in one of your threads about this to simply trash what you have and go 2x8GB... ther would be less problems. :)

EDIT: We didn't, but, I would scrap what you have and go 2x8GB, or remove the 2x2GB if you are not breaking 8GB use.

Ah, I was not aware that there was a problem with mixing capacities. I thought it was only brand/voltage/etc. I purchased the exact same model just lower capacity and it was quiet some time ago and thats why I am unsure. I think I would've noticed if it wasn't right. I will confirm with you guys tonight that they are the same in every way besides capacity.

From my Ebay purchase history I purchased 2x4Gb Ripjaws 1600mhz PC3-12800 and 2x2Gb Ripjaws 1600mhz PC3-12800. Same model and timings, different capacity. I will confirm this on the stickers tonight

Would it be okay if I purchased another 2x4Gb kit of the same exact model and capacity?

Last edited:
Ahhh! Sorry! I don't believe I do. Maybe 6 or so. But I'd like to have it if I need it

Also, the primary timings may match, but as I said above, its the SUB timings I would be more worried about in the XMP profile (which you cannot really see without going to the BIOS and recording all of them).

Ahhh! Sorry! I don't believe I do. Maybe 6 or so. But I'd like to have it if I need it
Yeah, use the 2x4GB, and then when you actually need it, sell those and grab 2x8GB. No mixing and matching.

Okay. Thanks guys. Also I saw the 4790k is only rated for 1600mhz, but XMP will automatically get it running at the sticks correct speed right?

Would it make you guys and the PC-Gods of Stability happy if I got another identical 2x4GB kit of G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz PC3-12800 CL 9-9-9-24 1.5V?

Nope. If its not full, or close to it (I don't consider 6GB close enough personally), its wasted money/memory. You can try getting the matching set, but honestly, I would sell what you have and then go 2x8GB if you are set on getting more.

Well with that logic, you only upgrade your table when your papers start falling off! But I'll take it since it'll make me $25 or so...

Back