• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need of serious troubleshooting help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zild1221

I have an older build now. Specs as it sits now:

R9 280x
2x4gb ddr3 gskill memory
750w PSU
Multiple HDD's and SSD's in various raid arrays.
Msi H67 motherboard.

-
I went away on a trip a couple months ago for about a week. Before I left I shut my whole system down, turned off the power switch one the PSU, and left it. No one touches my pc, so it just sat there for that week. At the time I had an HD7970 and an MSI p67a motherboard.

When I got home from the trip, I turned my system on, all the fans spun up, lights on, everything seemed normal, but my monitors were not getting a signal. I checked all the basics then and nothing jumped out at me. The first thing I did was grab my brothers gpu, an HD7950 and popped it in. It worked perfectly. I RMA'd my card to xfx and they sent me this 280x.

I get that, pop it in, and would you guess what!? NOTHING. No signal again. Next I the 280x in my brother's pc and it worked great. He's been running it for over a month. I got sick of not having a PC, so I decided to try some more.

I checked my PSU next. The only difference between my card and his really is the 280x requires a 6 and 8 pin power connector. His 7950 only required two 6 pin connectors. I swapped my PSU with an older one I had which made no difference.

So, I just sourced this used h67 motherboard figuring that has to be the problem. It's the only thing that would make sense at this point. I just tore my entire system apart and rebuilt it with the new motherboard. I haven't plugged in any HDD's or peripherals, just the bare bones. Annnnd STILL THE SAME PROBLEM.

-
I don't know what it could be at this point. It works fine with a 7950 and fine with even my old 4970!

I can't justify a full new system build at this point because my pc was chugging along perfectly for what I use it for.

Please help me before it becomes a shooting range target.

You didn't mention model numbers or age in years of the PSU's you're trying.
Could you try using your brother's PSU?

The older of the two is a seasonic 650w. I don't have a model number off hand, but it's when they were actually quality. The newer of the two is a corsair 750w. Again, I don't know the model off hand but do know it's a single rail design.

I tried another corsair 650w I had too, to no avail. With three psus, I'd imagine that's ruled out. Plus they all run the other cards fine. :/

I have three monitors so I changed them up and tried them all. Plus they all worked with the two other cards listed.

The newest should work for sure.

I'll ask again though, could you try your brother's PSU in your system?

Unfortunately I can't. I just dropped him off at college a state away. That newest Corsair is newer than his actually though. That one was in my fathers CAD PC.

Right, but since you know it works with the GPU that would help troubleshooting

Edit: motherboard BIOS up to date?

Last edited:
Back