• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant't OVERCLOCK ADM fx 4100 with Asrock 990fx extreme3.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hunter_

I go into BIOS, ive tried manual, and CPU OC mode, ive set it way above 3600mhz, im trying to get 4700mhz ive seen people do it, but when i save and exit my screen goes black and wont show up, so i turn it off and restart it, all my settings are saved but it STILL sits at 3600mhz, I CANT GET IT TO OVERCLOCK, i have read everywhere and cant find a solution, PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME, im so aggrivated. My pc specs>
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD FX-4100 25 °C
Zambezi 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 777MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASRock 990FX Extreme3 (CPUSocket) 46 °C
Graphics
SONY TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA) 40 °C
Storage
465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BC142 ATA Device (SATA) 31 °C
1863GB LaCie Rugged THB USB3 USB Device (USB (SATA)) 31 °C
400MB Dataram, Inc. RAMDiskVE (RAM Disk)
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 B ATA Device
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Audio
Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:cry:

Not all will do 4700.
Your black screen and restart at 3600 is normal for a failed overclock.
Don't try to copy somebody else's overclock. Not all hardware is created equal. Check out a sticky on how to overclock, and give it a go using your own mind and hardware.

Hunter, welcome to the forum. Overclocking is a process, you can't just set an overclock and save the BIOS profile and have an overclocked Cpu. Reason the settings aren't saving is because the Overclock you are setting isn't stable and the motherboard is reverting back to stock. Additionally, no 2 chips are alike, so if one Fx 4100 overclocks to X Mhz at X Voltage does not mean another will.

You're best bet is read this guide it will give you an idea of what is required to overclock your chip. What are you cooling the Cpu with, if you are still on the stock heatsink you're going to need an aftermarket one to keep it cool.

Sniped by Scotty :snipe:

Sniped? It took you 3 minutes to type that? :rofl:
Ha, hard to type quickly with my nose. :p

man thats a lot to take in, really confusing.
Hunter, bottom line is this. If you want to learn to overclock we are hear to teach you. Yes it can be a bit overwhelming at first, but read it and ask questions. First things first though, what are you cooling the cpu with because you're not overclocking very far on the stock heatsink.

Ha, hard to type quickly with my nose. :p

Hunter, bottom line is this. If you want to learn to overclock we are hear to teach you. Yes it can be a bit overwhelming at first, but read it and ask questions. First things first though, what are you cooling the cpu with because you're not overclocking very far on the stock heatsink.
It is a little block looking fan that has AMD on it and snaps down, can I take and upload pictures to the site? It has a fan that is directly above it that is part of the case.

Yes you can upload pics to the site. Upper right side of the icons at the top of the reply box pick the third one in.
You are using the stock heat sink so 4700 may not be possible due to a lack of cooling. They call them "stock" heatsinks since that's usually about their limit for cooling is stock CPU settings.

It is a little block looking fan that has AMD on it and snaps down, can I take and upload pictures to the site? It has a fan that is directly above it that is part of the case.

Like others said here, you need a better cooler, I would say use what I use but it's not made anymore :cry::rofl:, a NH-D14 is a good pick for air, or if you want water, go with a 240 or 280mm rad water cooler for the speed you want. Good luck with your OC.

I go into BIOS, ive tried manual, and CPU OC mode, ive set it way above 3600mhz, im trying to get 4700mhz ive seen people do it, but when i save and exit my screen goes black and wont show up, so i turn it off and restart it, all my settings are saved but it STILL sits at 3600mhz, I CANT GET IT TO OVERCLOCK, i have read everywhere and cant find a solution, PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME, im so aggrivated. My pc specs>
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD FX-4100 25 °C
Zambezi 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 777MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASRock 990FX Extreme3 (CPUSocket) 46 °C
Graphics
SONY TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA) 40 °C
Storage
465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BC142 ATA Device (SATA) 31 °C
1863GB LaCie Rugged THB USB3 USB Device (USB (SATA)) 31 °C
400MB Dataram, Inc. RAMDiskVE (RAM Disk)
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 B ATA Device
Audio
Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:cry:

You have a GTX970 paired with a FX-4100? I am pretty sure its bottlenecking the heck out of that sweet GPU. Is that the reason why you want to overclock? I know firsthand because my FX-4300 is bottlenecking my GTX960...

Hahha yea I know it's bottlenecking, is there a way to increase cpu power or decrease bottleneck? That's why I wanna overclock. I will be getting a new cpu and mobo etc in a few months. But I was pretty sure that my cpu will use most of my GPU and the rest wont be used. But does it actually decrease my FPS even more when bottlenecking? Like would I get more fps with a worse GPU?

Hahha yea I know it's bottlenecking, is there a way to increase cpu power or decrease bottleneck? That's why I wanna overclock. I will be getting a new cpu and mobo etc in a few months. But I was pretty sure that my cpu will use most of my GPU and the rest wont be used. But does it actually decrease my FPS even more when bottlenecking? Like would I get more fps with a worse GPU?

that is something even I have wondered before. But I dont really think so. Because what really is happening here is that the CPU is performing at its full capacity but its full capacity is just not enough for the GPU which has to sit idle while the said CPU prepares the data for the GPU to process.
As for reducing the bottleneck, number one option is to increase the CPU speed a.k.a. overclocking which you already are trying to do and secondly I have heard that you can max out all of your games so as to stress the GPU enough to bring its usage on par with that of the CPU but I have not really seen any difference while applying this approach.

Back