• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New DDR4 build... Suggestions/Thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you're looking at AIO's, I recommend the Swiftech H220-x or Cooler Master Glacer 240L.

32GB of RAM can go quick when doing rendering work.
That said, you could build with 16GB for now then easily add in another identical kit later.

I think buying 16GBs of RAM for now is the way to go.

As for the cooling, I've never used liquid cooling before, so maybe I'm best to do the same thing, buy the air cooler for now, and if temps get too high in the summer time invest in a liquid set up.

I think I'm mostly decided now besides the monitor...

*EDIT* bah, lol. Maybe I should focus on replying rather than multitasking and eventually pressing Submit lol, everyone already started responding :p

The top choices right now tend to be the NZXT Kraken X61, Corsair H110i GT, and Swiftech H240X. I was eyeing the H240X myself when I said screw it and just picked up the X61 as here stateside I am looking at $170+ for the Swiftech unit (pretty close to custom loop territory where I came from, so almost making it pointless IMO for the 2-3degree benefit it offers when the X61 I picked up was $60 cheaper).

*EDIT2* Be weary of that CoolerMaster unit, reviews speak highly of it, but I have seen nothing but negative USER responses on it, particularly the pump dying and the need to flush it after purchase, which should not be something you need to do with an AIO.

Now, should you? That's debatable as something like the Noctua D15 will only be a few degree warmer than the AIO solutions I mentioned above, literally like 2-5degree difference. I personally have a Phanteks PH-TC14PE (performs similar to D15) and I decided to go AIO simply to clear up case space from the bulging HSF. Personal choice, nothing more, just keep in mind it costs. TC14PE here sells for $70, D15 $95, and the higher end AIO units $110 - $170 (and now EK's own AIO selling for $200+). So, it gets pricey, but at the same time it's personal preference.

- Memory, the 32GB may come in handy when working on large projects, might be beneficial for you in the future at some point.

- Monitor, yes yes, lots of choices in this arena. Personally I would go with the Dell over an Acer. The only Acer I would buy would be their 1440p IPS 144Hz panel, that's the only panel I would ever buy from Acer. They aren't a bad company, but they are known for their shoddy quality, probably a good reason why they can sell some things so cheap compared to others. Plus don't forget Dell's customer service tends to be pretty good.

Hmm starting to get a little more expensive than I'd like, but not completely too far I guess, will depend on the rest of the build. $839.00 while I was looking closer to $600. Though it does seem there isn't much available for what I'm looking for.

I have around 4k to spend, and what I've got built up atm http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/gKjhcf is close to 3k without the monitor. I was hoping to have some left to put into at least the monitor or GPU for the old PC.

Grab a U2715H instead then, it's 1440p but still a very good monitor.
Or, go to the U2515H. It's a 25" 1440p, but saves you a TON of cash over the 4K options.

Grab a U2715H instead then, it's 1440p but still a very good monitor.
Or, go to the U2515H. It's a 25" 1440p, but saves you a TON of cash over the 4K options.

Alright I think this will mainly come down to availablility. The 4k Dell is only available at 1 store besides their own website atm.

Almost every other part is available on Mwave. Besides the RAM :( Seems G.Skill and especially the 4x4GBs are sold out almost everywhere... With a price jump of nearly $100 to the next brand at the same speed.

So looks like I'll be ordering the bulk from Mwave, and trying to get the monitor and RAM from another (if i can find them in stock next week lol)

OK so I think I've narrowed nearly everything down, and got it to about $200 under my budget.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/Q2XpwP

CPU: Decided.
CPU Cooler: Whats the difference here with the 15 and the 14 (and multiple versions of this) which is the best one to go for for this build?
Motherboard: Pretty much decided, I might still go for the ASRock, but for now I'm sticking with the MSI
Memory: This ones annoying, hopefully will be available next week when I order.
SSD: Going for the Samsung for now, but this is the main thing I'll be changing come order time if I can spare the extra money for the SanDisk.
GPU: This one is becoming about availability... Is there any major differences with the different brands? Do some have significant cooling over others or are they all reasonably the same?
Case: Will stick with the smaller 450D.
PSU: Also decided.
Monitor: I've decided to go with the 4k Dell, only because I found it for $70 cheaper than everywhere else, where they also have a majority of the other parts.

So nearly there, some more input about the CPU cooler and the GPU coolers would be great. :)

And also with the 450D case, is it worth investing in extra fans, or is this something I should just worry about later on? Or never at all :p

Not sure why you would swap to the Sandisk SSD over the Samsung...

No huge differences... some have better warranties/customer serivce. As far as coolers, it depends as well. Some cool better than others, but all of them will be fine.

And the Noctua coolers, I read they are rather big, they aren't going to be too big for the case and GPU?

Is the NH-U14S significantly smaller than the 14 and does it perform less or just as well?

Thanks guys you've been super helpful :)

And the Noctua coolers, I read they are rather big, they aren't going to be too big for the case and GPU?

Is the NH-U14S significantly smaller than the 14 and does it perform less or just as well?

Thanks guys you've been super helpful :)

The NH-D14 will work perfectly fine and perform better than the NH-U14S.
Haven't checked clearance for the NH-D15.

Not sure. The case website should tell you how tall of a cooler you can fit, while the cooler's website should tell you the dimensions of the cooler.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I think I'm pretty settled on everything (as long as its available come order time, seems stock levels are pretty low on a lot of stuff at the moment)

I'll post back with what I order and some photos when I build it :)

Alright I'm back for a final few questions.

I'm locked down on my build pretty much.

I'm just tossing up now with the old pc and what to upgrade, the GPU is the important one I think, a 950 was suggested, I looked them up and unless I missed some these are only 2GB cards... Mainly shes playing Archeage (an MMO) and Civilization V, will a 2GB card be enough or should I be investing in a 4GB card for the future?

Also, with an SSD for her, is a 120GB going to be enough for her OS and maybe a game or 2?

Thanks again guys :)

A 2GB card is fine for her.
Might not be bad to get a 250GB for her, games are getting bigger every day

Looks solid to me, I would check reviews on Jonny Guru for that PSU if you haven't yet

Back