• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New DDR4 build... Suggestions/Thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AJTheGamer

Hi, so i posted a while back about my current PC, trying to OC it etc... after a long time of playing around I gave up, and have since started a new design course... anyway long story short im finally about to afford a new pc, and I'll be looking to take the bulk of my current and put it inside a new case with a new GPU for my partner to use.

So heres the link to my build I'm thinking of.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/9FCpkL

I'll be using it for design both print and now my new course is a 3D animation and modeling course, so I'll be doing some rendering (hopefully a lot more if things go well)

I'm also a big gamer, I'll be mostly gaming in 1920x1080 even with a 4k screen, but I would like the option to be able to play some games in 4k at high detail. I'll be using 2 monitors also.

So essentially I need a powerful gaming and serious rendering machine with multitasking capabilities.

So with that being said what is everyones thoughts on that parts I have selected?

As for the current PC, I'm mainly looking to get high detail at 1920x1080 max, im thinking something like AMD Radeon R9 380, and just a new SSD, HDD, case and monitor.

Feedback is appreciated :)

Its hard to say since its still early stages of the course, but we're modeling in Maya at the moment, and I believe we'll be moving into Zbrush eventually, I'll have to ask some more about other programs we'll be using.

Find out the others, please. It'll determine if you should focus on CPU or GPU more.

Just to be sure, you're looking for the gaming and rendering machine to be the same one, yes?

Yes, the DDR4 build will be mine and I guess I'll probably be using it for a bit of everything eventually, designing, rendering, gaming, maybe some video editing down the line.

The other will be my current PC just updated enough to play 1080 gaming at reasonably high res.

My recommendation, currently, would be something like this:
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/vrJTcf

Motherboard isn't severe overkill
Doubled the RAM, and it's faster
Doubled the SSD
Sized down the case
Went for a better PSU

Went for a better quality monitor, but it's 1440p vs 4K.
That said, it's also an IPS. This is VERY important for proper color representation when you're doing your school work in the animation field.

I would just build this, then sell your old rig, personally.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll definitely take them on board...

As for the monitor, is there a 4k monitor you would suggest? With the build you've put up you're saving me money so I do have more room to spend there if i went with this build.

My only concern is more personal and nothing to do with the hardware itself, but the blue colouring lol was hoping to avoid blue if I could.

And the old rig will be going to my partner mainly for gaming (shes currently on a laptop..)

Thanks for the suggestions I'll definitely take them on board...

As for the monitor, is there a 4k monitor you would suggest? With the build you've put up you're saving me money so I do have more room to spend there if i went with this build.

My only concern is more personal and nothing to do with the hardware itself, but the blue colouring lol was hoping to avoid blue if I could.

And the old rig will be going to my partner mainly for gaming (shes currently on a laptop..)

I'd get a GTX 950 for the old rig, it'll serve her well.

Here's one without blue:
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/jL7ZTW

Take a look at this for a 4K option:
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/dell-monitor-p2715q

Thanks for the replies, given me a bit to think about, I'll definitely have to decide now on what monitor I want.

And overall the colour isn't important if its going to increase the performance significantly.

Thanks for the replies, given me a bit to think about, I'll definitely have to decide now on what monitor I want.

And overall the colour isn't important if its going to increase the performance significantly.

Trust me, I do photo editing, the IPS panel is a night and day difference from a TN panel.
You want it for the work you're doing.

I might have to go down the store and see for myself, I'm not sure I've ever seen an IPS monitor, or at least known I was looking at one :p

I might have to go down the store and see for myself, I'm not sure I've ever seen an IPS monitor, or at least known I was looking at one :p

Give it a shot, hopefully they have one on the shelf you can look at.
The one I linked gives 99% sRGB color accuracy.

Hmm so I'm starting to wonder... Whats guna be better for me...

4k is only at 60Hz? While 1440 has the 120/144Hz options... For gaming obviously the 120/144Hz is better, is it worth sacrificing the 4k for the gaming side of things?

There are many more affordable GPU choices at 1440p vs. 4K, and as ATM said, the IPS panel is more accurate for color reproduction. The only real benefit of 4K is the sharper image, but 1440p is still excellent.

If he's going about projects such as this he may want to look into an SSD that doesn't bog down in tasks that last longer than a couple seconds.... One such that comes to mind is the SanDisk ExtremePro which regularly sees $200 USD every other week, no idea the aussie pricing on it. I would go with ATM's build and add something like the ExtremePro, My 2 cents.

If he wasn't using the drive to render onto, etc. then a BX100 or EVO would be the obvious choice, but since he is (unless I misunderstood the post), a drive like the ExtremePro will offer better performance as well as being one of the top 2 drives in the SSD SATA market right now also offering 10year warranty just in case you plan to have it for a while.

Still trying to find out more about what we will be using down the line with this course, but you've all given me a few things to think about.

Firstly, with gaming I know around 8GBs of RAM is plenty, now I originally had 16GBs selected, how significant is the 32GBs increase going to be, it will mainly be with render times I assume?

I still have a lot to think about with the 1440 vs 4k thing, though I think I'm decided on IPS as a must. any more input there would be great.

As for the last suggestion about the SSD, I looked for the one you recommended but I can't seem to find it available at any of the stores here in Australia, I've seen it before so I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find, but are there any others on par with this that people would recommend?

As for the "downgraded" motherboard suggestions, may I ask why? (Whats the main differences between the lower end and the higher end ones, these seem to be mid range) They also don't have on board wifi?

The motherboard choice ATM went with is because you can save money there without sacrificing performance. Nothing wrong if you want to spend more, but the ATM's choice will do everything the XPower will, at a much friendlier price. If you were looking at benchmarking competitions and such, a higher end might be more suitable offering various extra tweakable options, but realistically.... The money could be put to something better.

As for the SSD,
http://www.skycomp.com.au/sandisk-e...ta3-ncache-pro-no-bracket-10yrs-warranty.html

http://www.mwave.com.au/product/sandisk-extreme-pro-ssd-480gb-ab55999

I'm not familiar with SkyComp, but I have used Mwave. The SSD suggestion is more along the lines of consistent performance, especially evident when encoding video to an SSD (so naturally I would assume rendering would offer similar benefit, someone please correct me if I am wrong), something that even the 850 Pro lags behind the SanDisk in. I say this, because I personally own both the ExtremePro 480GB and 850 Pro 512GB, the SanDisk is quite noticeably faster when I am encoding video whereas the 850 Pro has faster random read/write (which isn't very distinguishable between the 2, lol). The ExtremePro now resides within my laptop for school projects and such.

Well I think I'm narrowing down my part selection, the ExtremePro is a little more expensive but I believe I should be worth it.

I think I've got my motherboard selection narrowed down also, and the extra features aren't really worth it if I can put more into somewhere else.

The main thing I'm now wondering is if the 32GBs of RAM is going to be necessary, and if I could put that money elsewhere.

Monitor selection is becoming a pain :p

I'm also wondering at this point, is it worth investing in some sort of liquid cooling? The Notcua is a nice selection for a air cooler (as ugly as it is) but how much cooler would a decent liquid cooler perform? It does get rather hot here in summer and my house does not have AC.

Back