• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New video editing machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mraka

Registered
Hi guys. I am building a new machine which is going to be used only for video editing od HD-UHD mostly (GoPro) video material and some Photoshop/Illustrator work. It will not be used for playing games at all so i am going for HyperThreading. And it will, of course, get hardware upgrades hopefully soon.

Since it is a very budget machine i am thinking next:

CPU: i7 4790K (im going for this cpu since i think it will meet my needs and i will upgrade rest of hardware)
MB: biggest question for now (budget around 90-100 USD) i need one that works best with this cpu for budget i have
RAM: DDR3 4GB 1600MHz Kingston HyperX Fury Black CL10 (later upgrade to at least 12GB)
GPU: Intel for the moment (suggestions welcome)
HDD: 320GB sata from my old laptop (i know it is slow, but will upgrade to 2TB 7200rpm soon)
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO
PSU: also suggestions (is 550W enough?) i know it will depend on GPU later (also suggestion for best budget)

Thanks in advance! :)

CPU: I agree with the 4790K choice.
MB: I would just pick the one with the features you need. The 4790K already boosts to 4.4Ghz. Even if you spent more money on a motherboard, you wouldn't be able to overclock it much higher than that.
RAM: I would look for a 2x4GB kit. Should be able to find one for less than $50. You'll want it in dual channel, so a 4GB module now, then upgrading to 12 later, makes no sense.
GPU: I assume by Intel, you mean the iGPU on the 4790K?
Storage: You're gonna want an SSD. HDD vs. SSD performance is the most noticeable upgrade in a PC. Use your lappy HDD for storage and get a 120 or (preferably) 240GB SSD (Samsung EVO 850 is fast and cheap).
Cooler: You won't be overclocking, so no need to break the bank here. Whatever you find for cheapest.
PSU: 550w is more than enough if that's what you already have. Without a GPU, you could run a 300w and be more than safe. I'd look for a solid (evga, seasonic, most corsairs...), low-wattage unit.

And yes, budget and where you're buying would help narrow it down more.

EDIT: What size case were you looking at? m-ATX? ATX? ITX?

Last edited:
His budget on those sites would be around $53.000 Serbian Dinar.
Their delimiter is a period instead of a comma.

95.000 - 100.000 RSD is around 920+ USD so thats a little over my budget :) RSD is indeed Serbian Dinar, sorry i didnt make that clear in the first place

And yes, im planing to use CPUs Intel HD graphic 4600
I will be using my old ATX case
I know that SSD is a major speed improvement, but i have to stick with a HDD from my laptop for now
Probably could stratch for 8GB of ram as you suggested
As for a MB i see you are going with Z97 chipset so i assume it is well paired with 4790k
Currently i have Chieftec 400W PSU (will use that for now)

Last edited:
Yep, I feel dumb now. haha Even lived in Europe for a year, so I definitely should have known 43.250 = 43,250 :rain:

Give me a second...

EDIT:

It's gonna be almost impossible to fit in a 4790K with a budget of $500 USD (53,320 RSD).

4790K 43,250
120GB SSD 8,540 SSD won't fit in budget
2x4GB 6,000
Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3. Cheapest available for you and will have HDMI out for your onboard iGPU. 10,990
Seasonic SS430 8,540 You can use the PSU you have. I would look to replace it ASAP(!!) though. Do you have a model number for it? It's likely not a very good unit and the last thing you want is for it to fail and kill another, much-more-expensive component.

total: 60,240 RSD (re-using HDD, case, PSU :(, no GPU, and using the stock Intel CPU cooler)

That's over-budget by a bit, but it might be the best you can do, while keeping the 4790K.

Last edited:
Need lots of cores and don't have a huge budget... man if only a company did something like that...

Seriously though, an fx 8320 build might be suitable here.

The FX8320 is definitely cheaper for him (18,280 RSD), but to have it perform at the level of a 4790K, you'd need a much more expensive motherboard than the Z97P-D3 and you'd also need a much better cooler than the stock Intel which is fine for the i7 @ 4.4Ghz.

I think the mobo price delta and CPU cooler price would make the 25,000 RSD price difference between the FX and i7 disappear.

The FX8320 is definitely cheaper for him (18,280 RSD), but to have it perform at the level of a 4790K, you'd need a much more expensive motherboard than the Z97P-D3 and you'd also need a much better cooler than the stock Intel which is fine for the i7 @ 4.4Ghz.

I think the mobo price delta and CPU cooler price would make the 25,000 RSD price difference between the FX and i7 disappear.

Well of course it's not "as good". Site sells 8320 and ud3p mobo. Those are good for 4.5 all day. Sometimes more.
Hard to look stuff up on my phone.

I don't know much about FX overclocking, but I'll take your word for it that the UD3P is good enough for 4.5Ghz. Even at that freq, however, you're still not matching the performance of the i7.

It's up to OP. FX8320 is a valid option and would probably save you 15,000 RSD even with a nice CPU cooler.

Your trade-offs would be:
-older hardware (Oct2012 vs. May2014)
-you would be overclocking the CPU to give it a chance of performing at the level of the i7
-even overclocked to the same core speed, the architecture of the i7 would make it faster still

EDIT:

Stop the presses! Does the FX 8320 even have an iGPU? If OP has to also buy a GPU, I don't see the FX as an option at all...

Why even look at Z97?

What do you mean by that? Skylake instead? Z87 instead (with BIOS update)?

53320 is tough... he certainly doesnt have a budget for a 4790k build. If he did, it'd be a no brainer. But he doesnt, so...

cpu - 18280
http://emmi.rs/procesori-(cpu)-cpu-am3+-amd-fx-8320.11.html?productId=28553

mobo - 9599
http://emmi.rs/matične-ploče-(mb)-mb-am3+-970-gigabyte-ga-970a-ud3p.11.html?productId=39056

theres half the budget already...

gpu - 3850
http://emmi.rs/grafičke-kartice-(vga)-amd-radeon-5450-asus-512mb-ddr3.11.html?productId=50384

RAM - 4899
http://emmi.rs/ram-memorije-memorij...mhz-patriot-signature.11.html?productId=50838

PSU - O.O Well I did a quick search... and frankly they are all on par with your chieftec there. May have to shop around for that one. EVGA, Corsair, Seasonic, Antec are typically pretty reliable brands.

CPU Cooler - 3999 Honestly, I just found a half decent dual tower cooler. The "good ones" are ridiculously expensive and dont fit the budget. This one should be pretty solid, fans will probably die on relatively short order though. You could replace those later tho.

http://emmi.rs/hladnjaci-cpu-hladnjak-lga1150-am3+-fm2+-zero-infinity-free-.11.html?productId=47545

total -> ~40k rsd That leaves you with a choice of more ram, more storage, or better cooler if you want to spend the money. EDIT: AFTER You buy a good PSU!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know much about FX overclocking, but I'll take your word for it that the UD3P is good enough for 4.5Ghz. Even at that freq, however, you're still not matching the performance of the i7.

It's up to OP. FX8320 is a valid option and would probably save you 15,000 RSD even with a nice CPU cooler.

Your trade-offs would be:
-older hardware (Oct2012 vs. May2014)
-you would be overclocking the CPU to give it a chance of performing at the level of the i7
-even overclocked to the same core speed, the architecture of the i7 would make it faster still

EDIT:

Stop the presses! Does the FX 8320 even have an iGPU? If OP has to also buy a GPU, I don't see the FX as an option at all...

Again, if he had the budget for i7 performance, we would all be recommending i7's. No, the fx does NOT have an IGPU. The 5450 is literally what this situation is for.

UD3p is quite stout of a motherboard. I would feel comfortable owning one myself, and I was quite vocal on am3+ motherboards around these parts xD

In some situations (some rendering situations, which is especiialy poignant to the OP) an overclocked FX 8 core will outperform a stock i7. The difference wouldnt be staggering honestly.

Why even look at Z97?

Bit vague here, bud, pal, amigo, boss, hoss, hombre, dude, or any of the other proliferated "Acceptable" nicknames for whatever reason. :screwy:

Last edited:
Pricing is what was questioned... not how good the hardware was. But you are absolutely right in that an AMD solution could be comparable... but it helps to support assertions out of the gate. Glad you did it a post or so later. :)

If not Z97............... H97...........

I went H97 on a build a while back and had some ram compatibility problems. Other than that, yea H97 would be an option.

I went with the i7 because OP said that's what he wanted. His budget came in later. As I mentioned above, there 4790k will definitely put you over budget. Up to you whether it's worth it or if you want to go with an alternative.

Bit vague here, bud, pal, amigo, boss, hoss, hombre, dude, or any of the other proliferated "Acceptable" nicknames for whatever reason. :screwy:

Cheap, cheap, cheap. Get a B series board and be done.
It's a BUDGET machine, can't expect to fit a top-tier chipset in with it.

Cheap, cheap, cheap. Get a B series board and be done.
It's a BUDGET machine, can't expect to fit a top-tier chipset in with it.

Gotcha. Yea, that makes sense. If you go with the 4790K, OP, all you need is a board which will support it. It boosts pretty high on it's own, so you don't need an "overclocking-friendly" mobo. Just google whichever board you do go with regarding ram speeds. My experience was with the Asrock H97 Pro4. Could only get it to boot with RAM whose default (and XMP profile) was CAS9/1600Mhz. Higher speed was a no-go (I tried 1866 and 2133). Lower latency also a no-go (tried C7/1600). YMMV with other H97 boards, just something to keep in mind.

Back