• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why i7-2620M sucks so badly compared to 2670QM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lop3

I have one laptop with each of these CPUs. Look at the cache memory performance in Memtest. I also ran a benchmark which confirms this MASSIVE performance difference.

2620M.jpg
2670QM.jpg

qm is 4 cores 8 threads m is 2 cores 4 threads

Which benchmark shows this 'massive' difference? That will be better to show us instead of simply memtest.

The only real difference will be 2 cores vs 4 cores. Results in memtest are almost always wrong so don't look at them. In other tests difference should be correct including number of supported threads and CPU frequency.
In tests which base on number of threads, 4 core CPU will have ~50-100% higher performance while in single threaded tests 2 core CPU ( which has higher frequency ) will be slightly faster. It also includes memory bandwidth benchmarks.

So I went looking around in the BIOS of the slow CPU to see what could have been causing the slowdown.

I found some options relating to some security chip in my laptop. When I disabled it, the L1 cache benchmark went up to over 27000MB/s

And the DDR3 memory went up to over 10000MB/s so it's pretty much what I'd expect now?

im still lost as to what you think the "issue" is here.... sissoft sandra is a good bench to compare different cpus or even the same one. as what you posted both are two different models as already pointed out. i think your making an issue out of nothing here but thats just me.

So I went looking around in the BIOS of the slow CPU to see what could have been causing the slowdown.

I found some options relating to some security chip in my laptop. When I disabled it, the L1 cache benchmark went up to over 27000MB/s

And the DDR3 memory went up to over 10000MB/s so it's pretty much what I'd expect now?

Back